2006 mk2 Octavia CarPlay headunit

Hi I have a 2006 Skoda Octavia mk2 without steering wheel controls and I’m looking for a headunit with CarPlay and Android auto not fussed about parking display but would be good if the parking beeps could still work! Please help I’ve been looking for days haha 

Edited by Octavia2006mk2
  • Like 1

You can look at the following unit:

Link

for the radio trim, does your car have climatronic or manual air conditioning controls? I think the trims are different for both

Your parking beeps should work fine, but the parking distance display may not show on the new unit (optical parking system).

To confirm, scan your car with VCDS and check if the park assistance is on address 76 or address 10 - if it is on 76 then it wont work, if it's on 10, it will work

If you want to upgrade the parking controller, read the following posts

LINK 1

LINK 2

EDIT: I just remembered - does your car have the optional factory "sound system" with the additional amplifier underneath the passenger seat- easy way to check - the door card of car with sound system has an extra speaker in the middle on each door (ref pic below)

link

If your car has the factory optional sound system, the installation wont be plug and play as the rcd340 wont work with the amplifier.

Edited by GamesGoblin

I just checked and it hasn’t got the extra speaker thankfully but it has got a 6 cd changer in the boot not sure if that would work still or not? 

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Green-Button-6-5-MIB-RCD340G-CarPlay-Android-Auto-For-Skoda-Octavia-2006-2012/253263142104?hash=item3af7a8dcd8:g:VIoAAOSwZRpaZyMB 340g is what I have found is this the right one   Or 

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-Auto-CarPlay-6-5-MIB-RCD340-No-Name-187B-For-VW-Golf-Jetta-Tiguan/263466088255?hash=item3d57cd773f:g:60IAAOSwdx1aSboq or the 340 which doesn’t say it supports Skoda but is cheaper. What do you think 

Thanks for for all of your help man you really know your stuff about all of this, sorry for all the questions 

Edited by Octavia2006mk2

5 hours ago, Octavia2006mk2 said:

This is a picture of the dash in my car 

you have the climatronic panel - the trim you are looking for is having the part # 1Z0 858 069 C 9B9 ( Radio trim navigation "satin black" ) - you can order one from your dealer or buy it online

I see you have an airfreshner stuck onto the vent - I would be careful about those - they have been known to leak and cause damage to the radio beneath and the surrounding trim - If I remember right, one member here had to replace his Columbus because of it,

I just checked and it hasn’t got the extra speaker thankfully but it has got a 6 cd changer in the boot not sure if that would work still or not? 

No extra speaker = no sound system - you are in luck - the installation will be straightforward

I highly doubt the cd changer will still work - I do not have one in my car, so I cannot confirm -

340g is what I have found is this the right one   Or 

or the 340 which doesn’t say it supports Skoda but is cheaper. What do you think 

both of them are same functionally - the first link is the VW one red buttons and a VW theme and the second one is the Skoda one with green buttons and Skoda's theme

Get the Skoda version with green buttons as it will match with the rest of the car's dash.

Regarding the links you have posted - since both of them are coming from China, I would suggest you order from the link I shared above (aliexpress) - it's priced about the same as your link (£160 shipped to UK) - I had bought one from that link and the seller is very knowledgeable about these units and his units have the latest software versions I believe

Thanks for for all of your help man you really know your stuff about all of this, sorry for all the questions 

no problem - at one point I was in the same boat as you - looking to change my broken radio and not knowing a whole lot about this stuff- with the help of this forum, I was able to piece together all the info - glad I'm helping out another member sort it out.

Edited by GamesGoblin
  • Like 1

632252CF-ABED-4BD1-AA39-9E1D6501FDCE.thumb.png.146e5b4c267308e51253195379919c0d.pngSo I’ve all the bits I need thanks to you help but I’ve been reading that the firmware for the can gateway can be upgraded or do I just buy one and if so where from? 

Also I got this message off the guy about the headunit and don’t really know what he is on about if you could shed some light on it that would be great 

Thanks Dan 

Edited by Octavia2006mk2

There are a few levels of instrument cluster in the MK2 Octavia, the best of which is called a maxidot. It lets you change various settings and will show audio/navigation info when paired with an appropriate OEM headunit.

None of this works with the RCD-330/340/+/g headunits, the only thing displayed is incoming call info.

• Thanks 1

YO!

Really hoping you update this thread once you recieve the package as am thinking about a head unit upgrade too for my non-sound-extra-system 2006 octa.

Let us know how it goes

Mr T

On 4/29/2018 at 17:03, Octavia2006mk2 said:

I’ve been reading that the firmware for the can gateway can be upgraded or do I just buy one and if so where from?

Yes, I remember reading that some gateway units can be flashed to prevent the battery drain issue.

I am not entirely sure if the RCD330/340 units cause the battery drain on older gateways. The battery drain issue was caused by installing the RNS-510 based Columbus head unit on the older octys. Since the RCD330/40 is an OEM unit like the Columbus, my suspicion is that it too may cause this issue.

I remember reading that some gateways can be flashed to a newer revision to solve this issue. But I did not explore it in detail.

New Gateways (7N0 type) can be had for around £14 online. Installing them is easy enough if you have access to VCDS.

• 4 weeks later...