Door light fitting

Hello briskodians!

This time I am seeking advice on door lights. I want to fit new lights in my doors because when I fitted my regulator and panel last week, I noticed that I don't have door lights! Just a piece of red plastic where the light should be.

I can't for the life of me find a decent tutorial video that shows how to wire up the new light! 

So my question is how the hell do I wire it? Where do I attach the wires so that the light comes on when the door is opened? 

As always, Thanks in advance.

The obvious answer is to run two wires from the interior light which has power from the convenience module when you pull the key from the ignition and goes off when you lock the car, run one down each 'A' pillar and through the rubber boot to the door light, an earth is available in the door already.

1 hour ago, sepulchrave said:

The obvious answer is to run two wires from the interior light which has power from the convenience module when you pull the key from the ignition and goes off when you lock the car, run one down each 'A' pillar and through the rubber boot to the door light, an earth is available in the door already.

Thanks, I know that is one option to run it from, I think there is also somewhere in the door also. Not 100% sure that I have an interior light that comes on at any point during power down and exiting the vehicle! (I'm aware that this could be a faulty door microswitch, I haven't done any tests/checks to see if it is.)

I want to know where in the interior light or in the door do I attach the wires? What wires do I attach the door light wires to? 

You have to enable the interior light by switching it to come on in courtesy mode, there are three positions, always on, always off and courtesy on. However you don't need to do that to run the wires because there is a wire that only becomes live in courtesy mode.

Dude, you need a multimeter and some basic electrical knowledge to pull this off, without that you're really fumbling about in the dark and probably shouldn't try and do this mod.

It is possible that your door loom already has the courtesy light tails installed but tied up out of the way somewhere, you could take off the door card and have a look see, you may have missed it when you were repairing the regulator.

1 hour ago, sepulchrave said:

You have to enable the interior light by switching it to come on in courtesy mode, there are three positions, always on, always off and courtesy on. However you don't need to do that to run the wires because there is a wire that only becomes live in courtesy mode.

Dude, you need a multimeter and some basic electrical knowledge to pull this off, without that you're really fumbling about in the dark and probably shouldn't try and do this mod.

It is possible that your door loom already has the courtesy light tails installed but tied up out of the way somewhere, you could take off the door card and have a look see, you may have missed it when you were repairing the regulator.

I do have a multimeter and electrical knowledge. I know the interior light has a courtesy mode, i just havent checked it yet as not had the car long. All I am asking for is instructions with a little detail as all the vids I have seen have not been very informative. I appreciate your help, I will be having a play with it tomorrow! Hopefully the courtesy light wires are just tucked away in the door, if not I'll figure it out! Believe it or not but I'm VERY good at fumbling about in the dark, it's when I'm at my best! I love to find solutions. I'm an engineer and I like to take things apart, fix things and fabricate parts! Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be fine with it. ;)

• 1 month later...

Should all models have the courtesy light come on when you pull the key from the ignition and go off when you lock the car, 2001 Classic with absolutely no frills whatsoever (I think it's even got candles for headlamps it's that basic :biggrin:)