Broken Accelerator pedal

don_kiddik

Hi, I took my 66plate Yeti into the dealers this morning as I noticed my Accelerator pedal was 'wobbly', turns out is was cracked along the bottom where it fits to the floor. Got a technician to look at it and told me it was unsafe and would need a new pedal. I told him that's ok as it's under warranty, to which he replied no you will have to pay for it as it's not a manufacturers defect. What I want top know is how can they just say that, he said I must have trapped a stone in it to break it! Long story short they have told me that Skoda have said they will not pay out. I find this very frustrating as I've found a post on here from Oct 2017 where Skoda actually repaired one under warranty. Please could anyone tell me where I stand on this, as if it's happened before then it must be a design fault in allowing stones or other debris to get into the mechanism. I was told this as I was looking at upgrading to the new Karoq, told them it was about time they showed some customer loyalty as have been with them years, also told them the new car is on hold and may take my business elsewhere.

Thanks in advance

Ask them to show you the stone, and the written decision that SUK do not consider it a warranty claim.
Also ring SUK yourself and ask the question directly.

Not the dealer in Bristol is it?

10 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

Ask them to show you the stone, and the written decision that SUK do not consider it a warranty claim.
Also ring SUK yourself and ask the question directly.

Not the dealer in Bristol is it?

Hi, thanks for the reply, no, Heritage Skoda in Yeovil

I have emailed the service desk and put the post I saw in here actually showing him the evidence, also asked him to give me further info on who to contact next, this was directly after phoning him, mid afternoon, and guess what, no reply as yet, will be ringing up again first thing and asking him for the written evidence from SUK

Thanks again

I think you're maybe talking about my car in that earlier post, I phoned up Skoda about it and as mine is a lease car they offered to send someone out to look at it, pedal was hanging off to one side and car was barely drivable, at that time my car had a tiny mileage on it. Technician found a small stone stuck in the conveniently positioned hole on the righthandside side of the accelerator pedal and reckoned that it had broken the pedal when I put my size twelve foot on it! He got a new pedal and installed it within a day and car has been perfect ever since then, even maybe better than it was when it was new, it seems to have a better throttle response than it had before. It is a stupid/ badly designed pedal design for what is meant to be a fairly rugged car which people will be using in all sorts of countryside where it is entirely likely that the odd stone might end up falling off of your shoes or boots and maybe falling into that gap, probably somewhere very remote!

I hope that you can get your car repaired under warranty, it is really a manufacturers defect caused by them not plugging that hole at the side of the pedal, it shouldn't be possible for any stone to physically break your accelerator pedal in any car.

2 minutes ago, AllanDJ said:

I think you're maybe talking about my car in that earlier post, I phoned up Skoda about it and as mine is a lease car they offered to send someone out to look at it, pedal was hanging off to one side and car was barely drivable, at that time my car had a tiny mileage on it. Technician found a small stone stuck in the conveniently positioned hole on the righthandside side of the accelerator pedal and reckoned that it had broken the pedal when I put my size twelve foot on it! He got a new pedal and installed it within a day and car has been perfect ever since then, even maybe better than it was when it was new, it seems to have a better throttle response than it had before. It is a stupid/ badly designed pedal design for what is meant to be a fairly rugged car which people will be using in all sorts of countryside where it is entirely likely that the odd stone might end up falling off of your shoes or boots and maybe falling into that gap, probably somewhere very remote!

I hope that you can get your car repaired under warranty, it is really a manufacturers defect caused by them not plugging that hole at the side of the pedal, it shouldn't be possible for any stone to physically break your accelerator pedal in any car.

Cheers Allan, yes it was your post, but names were excluded when I sent the email, I never saw a stone, and actually told the service guy it must be a design fault if a stone had got into the mechanism, stupid place to put it on the floor, am I supposed to check for stones every time I go out to drive the car?, It's only 16 months old and only done just over 6ooo. Am ready for a long day on the phone tomorrow!

8 minutes ago, don_kiddik said:

Cheers Allan, yes it was your post, but names were excluded when I sent the email, I never saw a stone, and actually told the service guy it must be a design fault if a stone had got into the mechanism, stupid place to put it on the floor, am I supposed to check for stones every time I go out to drive the car?, It's only 16 months old and only done just over 6ooo. Am ready for a long day on the phone tomorrow!

Good luck with that Don! It is a very simple repair, the accelerator just plugs in and I think the technician reloaded some software to do with the engine management at the same time too. You really shouldn't have to even argue about this having happened, small stones are all over the place and there is no way on earth that Skoda can sell people new cars with the warning to check for small stones getting into that wee hole which shouldn't really exist in the first place. If they are being a bit sticky about it your local Trading Standards office might give you some assistance, as it is a pretty serious design defect really. Other manufacturers have recalled cars in the past for lesser problems than this!

Edited by AllanDJ

Do Skoda have a special book of excuses for EVERY defect since dieselgate to try and save money on repairs.................................................................ps Graham .........Bristol in Somerset.?

• Like 1

I'm sure Skoda UK are getting worse at customer support.  During a recent service I got an advisory for the rear brake disc being marked, 18000 miles and under two years.  This is normal and a service item?  My previous two Yeti covered 35K and 40+K with no issues on any brake items, pads or discs.  As my driving style is still the same I can only assume somethings has changed in the car build?

If it was at (some) M O T centres I could understand as they appear to pick up on this quite a bit as there are often marks on discs not any problem and it’s easy work to replace.we bought a 12 year old Mazda with an advisory on disc condition so without looking thought I would replace before winter and got the parts and replaced them but they looked in pretty good nick and I think they would have lasted another 20000 easy

3 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Do Skoda have a special book of excuses for EVERY defect since dieselgate to try and save money on repairs.................................................................ps Graham .........Bristol in Somerset.?

Yes, South Bristol used to be in Somerset, and many people from Somerset work and shop in Bristol. You only have to look at the number of commuters from Weston Super Mud.
I lived and worked in Bristol for some years, so I do know the area.

57 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

Yes, South Bristol used to be in Somerset, and many people from Somerset work and shop in Bristol. You only have to look at the number of commuters from Weston Super Mud.
I lived and worked in Bristol for some years, so I do know the area.

All changed to a degree Bath is not in Somerset ,or Avon like it was for a while  and Yeovil and Taunton  etc still in SOMERSET but Bath is in BANES, bath and NORTH EAST SOMERSET and most of Bristol is in south Gloucestershire,like Bl****

6A376901-C544-4C73-91E1-93C16B111D83.png

Spoke to the dealership this morning, and they have escalated my complaint to the branch manager and some other bod, didn't quite get the name. He thanked me for the email and passed that on, only when I said "so why haven't you sent me the info I asked for" he apologised and said people higher up are trying to deal with it. I said why don't they take the price on the chin and complain to SUK later, re-iterated that I was a loyal customer for years and being fobbed off etc., was not good for their business, I then told him I was going to contact SUK directly to complain about the process I find myself in, then he asked me to wait while they have sorted their side out first. I have given him the benefit of the doubt and told him SUK and Trading standards will eventually called if my satisfaction not met.

I also asked him for proof that I had broken the pedal myself as the service technician told me when I showed him, he said the service tech should have not said that , too late I said! I also asked him what page in the handbook does it refer to checking for stones under the pedal before driving off! Have asked for the written proof of rejection and also all the parts removed from the car.

Hopefully find out more later today or tomorrow

I find it hard to believe that a stone could cause this damage the pedal which is/was very well made ,I just hooked my spare one out from when I replaced it for the metal ones when I first bought the car

4ECB96B3-25AE-4AA7-9FBA-B9AAE328F7AF.jpeg

Good news folks

They are replacing pedal free of charge, I don't know if they are doing it of their own volition or have been given permission by SUK. He will show me the broken pedal but has stated that SUK need to see it and has to be sent to them. Fair enough, as long as I don't have to pay is fine by me. I don't know whether my firm stance on threatening to go to SUK and Trading Standards helped, but I do know they want my business in future as the Service guy pointed out that I was indeed a loyal customer, funny how some react when telling them you'll think of going elsewhere.

Thanks for all the replies and help, I can sleep soundly tonight and pick car up tomorrow (I wonder if they'll give it a valet too!)

• Like 3

Reading this post worried me as my Yeti is frequently running on gravel/ muddy tracks and worse.

I couldn't find a "hole" as mentioned above, but was impressed by the construction of the pedal. There are skirts both sides of the pedal which seem to do two jobs - minimise ingress of c**p, and guide the pedal over the shaped base to prevent undue stress on the hinge bit.

I'm with the original Skoda guy on this; it's a bit like checking your lights/ number plates are clean, tyres inflated, washer fluid topped etc.

It must have taken a heavy boot to break the hinge, although I appreciated the leverage is increased that close to the pivot. Certainly not a design fault which people use as a convenient excuse for any un-planned mishap.

I was cleaning out my own mud/pine needles and associated gravel this morning when I had a closer look. I've got the raised lip rubber mats and "dirt" does collect there, so part of my cleaning/ road worthiness routine.

Just my opinion :wondering: 

@Yety

I neither have a hefty boot nor does my partner, if there had been a stone in there we would have felt resistance or even heard a crack as the pivot broke. We didn't , just a gradual sense of pushing pedal and nothing happening, then a sudden surge, this was due to pedal leaning to the right and  not engaging properly, when looked at you could see it leaning to the right, that's why I took it in. As for checking for stones every time we enter the car, I couldn't find anything in the handbook referring to this! (sic) The car is cleaned and vacced out every week and we don't wear heavy boots! The fact that someone got it replaced under warranty also suggests they know about this. I still think it could have been designed better. 

When I looked at the pedal after removal there were no signs of a stone or other impact marks on the inside of the pedal, so who know what caused it, fatigue? All manufactured goods don't always have the same reliability, there are some that get past  quality inspection at times.

I know that barb was not meant for me by the way

Just my opinion.

Edited by don_kiddik

37 minutes ago, don_kiddik said:

@Yety

I know that barb was not meant for me by the way

Just my opinion.

Well it wasn't a barb, just couldn't see how a stone could cause the hinge/ plastic to crack. Whilst I was on my knees, I tried a stone and found it near impossible to get one in there at all, enough to cause a restriction in opening the throttle.

A better design would have been to have a top hinged pedal - I remember my VW Beetles had floor mounted pedals, perhaps a VW trait?

If there is a design fault, perhaps it is the vehicle should have a top hinged pedal, but the floor mounted pedal seems pretty robust anyway.

7 minutes ago, Yety said:

Well it wasn't a barb, just couldn't see how a stone could cause the hinge/ plastic to crack. Whilst I was on my knees, I tried a stone and found it near impossible to get one in there at all, enough to cause a restriction in opening the throttle.

A better design would have been to have a top hinged pedal - I remember my VW Beetles had floor mounted pedals, perhaps a VW trait?

If there is a design fault, perhaps it is the vehicle should have a top hinged pedal, but the floor mounted pedal seems pretty robust anyway.

Just what I said about a stone when looking at removed pedal, no sign of damage on the inside of pedal.

Having driven a few miles with the new pedal, I can certainly feel a difference in the way the car runs, they did some software tweaks and this seems to made the drive smoother, better than before pedal broke too.