Flicking down the DSG stick to "Sport"

I know it changes the engine mode to Sport, but it wouldn't it be nice if it also changed the whole setup eg steering and suspension?  I don't think it does at the moment, just the engine/throttle.

Good feature nonetheless, I use it around town for quicker getaways at roundabouts.  When on back roads it's better if the whole setup is on Sport as it handles round corners better but then the Mode button needs pressing.

Stick it back into Comfort when on the motorway.

• Like 1

I've got my personal settings on the individual mode for non-motorway driving and I change to comfort when I join a motorway or similar.  

All I need to do then is select sport on the gear selector for a quicker getaway at roundabouts and junctions depending on the traffic and where I am.  All I want is a quick getaway with as little hesitation as possible and I'm not bothered about steering or suspension changing to sport for this operation.  At home in Brecon, there isn't usually enough traffic to justify this, but I'm in Klaipeda, Lithuania for the next two weeks and it's needed to join the traffic on the many roundabouts.

I've also changed to the Audi throttle using VCDS to improve this.

1 hour ago, Penpusher said:

All I need to do then is select sport on the gear selector for a quicker getaway at roundabouts and junctions depending on the traffic and where I am.  All I want is a quick getaway with as little hesitation as possible and I'm not bothered about steering or suspension changing to sport for this operation.

Same here. I just use it for quicker getaways at busy roundabouts or junctions and immediately flick it back to normal once I'm away from the line. I wouldn't want it to change the other settings for that. The other place where I've found flicking to sport really helpful (believe it or not) is in multi-storey carparks, as it holds first gear going up the ramps rather than trying to put it into second immediately.

ETA: Obviously if I'm going to progress rapidly across twistier terrain (not that regular for me) then the whole thing goes into sport via the mode button.

Edited by BriskodaJeff

I love the Sport mode on the box and use it for tricky situations all the time.  I have to negotiate a few exits on to busy roads near bad bends every day and sport mode is great and has saved me a few times :whew:

I tend to use it when in traffic jams which may sound strange  - this is when they are steadily moving at walking pace sort of speed - it makes the car stay in first for longer and avoids most of the clutch slipping that you get when the car drives to drive at 5mph in 2nd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hwr1983 said:

I'm banned from using Sport mode when SWMBO is in the car...she doesn't like it using more fuel :sweat:

My SWMBO has never driven a car and doesn't understand what I'm doing when I select sport.

However, if I told her what I'm doing and that I'm selecting sport, she'd give the same response as hrw1983's SWMBO!

If I change the mode when she's in the car, she can see which one I select, but as I only ever use comfort or individual, I don 't get into trouble with these selections.

My wife has been my pillion passenger for the past 39 years. When we were travelling 120 mph in the Sportline, she didn't even notice. (Her helmet would have been buffeting about on the bike.) I just got a "Wow" when I floored it to pass a coach.

I don't use that DSG flick back to get Sport much any more. Mainly, I use it on a downhill grade to hold my speed. But, I do have my PedalBox set to City+3 now. It shifts pretty well.

19 hours ago, Speedman said:

I tend to use it when in traffic jams which may sound strange  - this is when they are steadily moving at walking pace sort of speed - it makes the car stay in first for longer and avoids most of the clutch slipping that you get when the car drives to drive at 5mph in 2nd.

Not strange at all.  I also do the same myself and its very effective in slow moving traffic.  People do wonder why I'm flicking the lever even though its an auto but they are usually the ones that are used to the older type boxes (and non dual clutch) where it was just PRND.

Sport mode is good fun especially if it is used with a Racechip XLR throttle box AND GTS Black under the bonnet.

I normally have the throttle box set to S+ and the GTS set to Sport.

I have tried Throttle to R+ and GTS to Race and it turns the car into a complete animal and very quickly run out of road.

Looking forward to the German autobahn in a couple of weeks!

As for MPG (cos someone is going to ask!)

I get 400 -450 miles per tank and for a 2 litre petrol 280 + 54 according to Racechip I can put up with that.

Foot down = loads of smiles!! 

Edited by splinter
Spelling mistake