Fabia 1.4 Classic Newbie Questions

Hi Peeps,

I recently purchased a 'Y' reg Fabia 1.4 Classic for my son, only 50k on the clock from new and in very good condition for the year, just a couple of niggles that I am hoping you can help advise on.

• Might seem a daft question but should you be able to open the tailgate from the outside ? (I assume not as it doesn't have central locking)
  • The red coolant light beeps and continues to flash even when the engine is cold and the coolant bottle is full to the max, I have read this is down to the sensor in the coolant bottle but can anyone confirm this ?
  • Engine management light is constantly on, but the car starts and drives perfectly, any idea what could cause this ?
  • Apparently it had new discs and pad 12 months ago and whilst it's OK the brakes aren't brilliant, is this just me being used to driving a more modern car :smirk:

Any help much appreciated.

Leaving the battery off for about 30 mins MIGHT see the light go off, otherwise its a diagnostics check and switch off. It could, potentially be many things and I don't know if these models go into "Limp" mode, to get you home or to a garage, so take care if you keep driving with a potential fault.  Discs and pads a year ago sound, by the mileage, ok but they could have done nearly all those miles late in life... (Look up the old MOT's or service history, if possible). But assuming they are fine for wear, they could be contaminated but I doubt it would be more then just needing a good "drive".  I would almost certainly be thinking of changing the brake fluid anyway, unless you know its been done. Usually an every two year job. This will give better performance to the brakes, if the actual cables are sound. 

On later Fabia's, you can open the tailgate from outside, by squeezing the black, rubbery feeling cover in the centre of the tailgate, above the numberplate. Might be between the rear numberplate lights. As you mentioned, though, may not have this if non- central locking. Worth feeling for though.

In had the same problem on my Skoda fabia 1.4mpi 02 reg  aqw turned out to be head gasket .so now I'm wondering is their a uprated head gasket .because I have had the head done 3 times and it keep going .do I need a new engine if so what engine can I replace it with from Skoda range without any probs ta

1 hour ago, coley8978 said:

In had the same problem on my Skoda fabia 1.4mpi 02 reg  aqw turned out to be head gasket .so now I'm wondering is their a uprated head gasket .because I have had the head done 3 times and it keep going .do I need a new engine if so what engine can I replace it with from Skoda range without any probs ta

Who did the work and did they get the head skimmed and are you sure it isn't a cylinder liner seal problem?

You should really start a new topic for this since you may need quite a lot of help.

1 hour ago, coley8978 said:

Hi it was done in Leeds by a place that do exchange engines yes to skimming but what are the liners how would you be able to tell  us how do I start a new topic 

Top of the page next to green reply button, grey text says start new topic.

7 minutes ago, Panther_uk said:

Is there an easy way to drain the coolant?

When refilling the coolant is there anything to be aware of tom ensure I don't get any airlocks ?

There is a drain valve where the bottom hose meets the radiator, simply twist it until coolant comes out of the spigot, no need to remove it, chuck a washing up bowl under the spigot, then pour the old coolant back into the new tank. Remember to close the drain valve first.

I changed my tank without draining the coolant. Just took the old tank off, swapped the new one on and topped up. Hardly lost much water at all. Cold engine of course.

Edited by TMB

22 minutes ago, TMB said:

I changed my tank without draining the coolant. Just took the old tank off, swapped the new one on and topped up. Hardly lost much water at all. Cold engine of course.

I did think whether that was possible, seems fairly easy to swap over.

Cheers guys (and gals)

New coolant tank fitted without draining the system, pretty simple and quick to do, cost less than £12 off eBay and now the warning light has disappeared.

Also purchased a £5 bluetooth OBD II reader off eBay and using the 'Torque' app managed to clear the engine management light.

Fitted new wipers, £8 a pair off eBay (you sensing a pattern here).

And the car is good to go !!

• Like 1