Octavia mk3 vRS- petrol or deisel?

My mk2 Blackline hatch is now five and a half years old and has only done 28k, but I may be in a position to buy a new car in the next few months. Obviously I'll test drive one but that's not a substitute for owning one in the longer term, so for those that had a mk2 CR170 and changed to a mk3 vRS which did you get and why and what were the positives/negatives.

Mine has a DTUK tuning box in it so is around the 205ps/400nm mark. it's also manual so is the DSG worth having and what extras are/are not worth adding.

Cheers

Ade

I changed a year ago from CR170 VRS estate to facelift TSI VRS estate.

Overall the petrol is significantly quieter and a lot more torque spread evenly across the rev range and more power at the top.

Both were DSG, found it works better with the petrol as there's more available power in that rev range... With the diesel, in D it was too low in the rev range, with S it was too high.

DSG with adaptive cruise (ACC) and adaptive dampers (DCC) makes it a great long distance car.

It does use more fuel, but I'm getting around 33mpg on the 10 mile commute and 40ish on longer A road/motorway runs with car full of family and luggage, without really compromising my driving style or creature comforts.

I'd only consider a diesel if doing bigger miles (15k+ per annum) to offset the higher fuel costs and when local govs have decided what to do with pollution charge across the country. London is known, but Manchester, Brum, Nottingham etc are not yet.

• Like 1

Cheers Matt, I only do 5k a year so not bothered about fuel costs as long as the petrol doesn't drink it and from what you say it'd only be about 10mpg difference-I only got the Blackline because it was such a good deal, not because I particularly wanted a diesel

At 5k a year why are you considering a diesel? I went TDi power with mine because it does over 25k a year. Under 20 and I’d have gone for a petrol. I love my DSG but I wouldn’t say the diesel vRS is an overtly sporty car, it’s not much quicker than a 150 TDi anyway. I hear a remap makes a difference though. Spec/colour etc will be down to your personal preference, but I’m a bit of a spec whore and I like all the toys. The build quality is very good but the standard cloth seats are not very nice IMO, especially when the Elegance/SE-L got leather/alcantara as standard so I would go for the full leather, or alcantara depending on the age of car you are looking at. The stereo systems on these cars are weak, but the MIB2 units or Canton sound system makes it bearable. The standard MIB1 is terribly thin. The 230 pre FL and 245 FL have the clever VAQ front diff but I’ve never driven one of those. My TDi with the regular XDS is still a world away from previous cars I’ve owned (it handles and corners better than my AMG Mercedes) and makes for a nice all round package. Good luck with the search :)

• Like 2

Go petrol for sure at your mileage. Though if you're buying new I don't think you can currently order a petrol right now as there are some changes being made for the new model year.

As for DSG/Manual - my previous VRS petrol (MK2 facelift) was a manual and my MK3 is a DSG. I love the DSG even though I use the paddles most of the time anyway. Haven't missed the gearstick and clutch pedal at all!

Winter pack and Canton are essentials for me, though like @SashaGrace I'm a spec whore also and would end up to ticking things like Dynamic Chassis control, Adaptive Cruise Control as well. They are quite well specced as standard so it really comes down to what you really want and how much you're prepared to spend.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies chaps. I'm not actively considering a diesel this time round for the very reasons you point out. I only bought the blackline because it was such a good deal and with the petrol now being 45ps more powerful than the diesel as opposed to 30 in the mk2 petrol will be the likely way I go, it's then a case of manual vs DSG and what options I add on.

cheers

Ade

• 1 month later...

Well after taking a test drive in a diesel DSG I decided neither really appealed to me and without a petrol to try a decision had to be made. The dealer managed to secure me one of the few 230 petrol manual hatches left in the UK and as there's none now leaving the factory availability will only get worse. I should be picking it up in the next week or so once it's been transported and prepped. It's not my preferred colour and doesn't have some of the options I wanted but it looks like delivery on a my2019 245 factory build won't be until early next year which would make the cost to change a fair bit more so I've decided to jump now rather than risk having to pay a fair bit more for a my2019 one in 6 months time. 

So it's moon white with canton, electric sunroof, black pack, keyless, rear view camera and a temp spare. I kept the Blackline for nearly 6 years and will probably do the same with this one which is another reason for buying now and getting the manual. Just hope I enjoy it as much as I do the Blackline with it's DTUK CRDE tuning box :sweat:

At least I'll have no DPF or GPF to worry about.....

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 08:40, shakeyman said:

What options did you want that it's not got? Depending on what they are, retrofitting or enabling via VCDS might be possible...

I was quite keen on the Alcantera seats, but those were not on the configurator so was looking at the heated fronts instead though as it comes with fabric seats that's not so much of an issue now.  The other things I was looking for were the front and rear parking sensors but it's got the camera and the electrically operated/folding mirrors. I'd be interested in what's available vis VCDS though ;)

• 3 years later...

Hi sashagrace, any thoughts now that you've had your Superb diesel 4x4 for a while?  Not that much heavier than a VRS, and still thinking about putting in a contract hire order and just accept the long wait .  Superb 280 would be the preference . I only only 7k miles a year, but do wonder if watching the petrol needle tick down while driving around town would become annoying once the novelty wore off.  Currently on my second petrol VRS, and do feel getting another pettrol FWD car would just feel very similar.  With the miles I do, as I would be getting it from new, i reckon I could get away without DPF issues for 3 years...which brings me back to the 4x4.   Thinking that a Superb or even VRS 4x4 diesel ( latter with DCC ), would feel like a diff car to drive than another FWD petrol, 4x4 would be nice to have, and enough poke to not ever feel slow and plenty for overtaking .  Superb only 80kg heavier I think, so overall get up and go prob similar .  Just looking at lease costs and 4x4 VRS with sunroof and diesel could be add for £420k a month ( Superb similar, although no longer do it in Sportline spec, so would prob be Se l ) , whereas Superb 280 more like £500 .  thanks 

8 minutes ago, FlyingGecko said:

£420k a month ?!

A lot of money for a lump of metal on the driveway every month. I used to pay that for a car till I realised they aren't worth it. That is almost a mini mortgage in itself! I now pay under £200 a month for my car payment, tax and insurance for my 65 plate VRS. Never again will I be daft enough to pay over the odds.

You're a tough audience!  I agree indeed that £420k a mth is too much....although £420 a month is a good bit less than PCP on second hand cars at the moment .  I totally agree that it's just a toy, but kids nursery fees come to an end, I have a big birthday next year, and I could do a few grand deposit plus the £400 month, and put the £20k back in the bank that I spent on buying the end of lease car.    I loved my Mk 2 VRs, but just haven;t fallen in love with my Mk 3 . on the Mk 2 I had proper summer and winter tyres. On the Mk3 I have Bridgestone all weathers . Did all the research on them but don't give much confidence, spin very easily , and can feel them sliding in the wet going round a roundabout ( not quickly ) ...which is why IF I was going to change ( for £420k a mth ), the 4x4 diesel would be good fun, or maybe the new fancy diff on the petrol would do the trick .  Another reason for changing is that under the Mk 3 is basically the Mk 2 bodyshell,  so safety is 10 years old for young kids in the car.  I know I;m just making reasons for getting a new toy .  or just the 280...and round and round we go  : )