Qi wireless phone charger stopped working

Baffy

The Qi phone charger in the phonebox has suddenly stopped working. IPhone charges indoors on Qi charger but car (Superb 220 L&K) keeps returning message that the wireless charging isn’t working. Any ideas?

Have you looked at the fuse for it?

I'm not sure what Iphone you have but my samsung galaxy s7 sometimes struggles to charge with the cars qi charger as it's slightly too long for the holder.

Thanks roo - I haven’t checked the fuse, which seems an obvious thing to do now, but as it recognises that a phone is there and only then gives the “Failed to charge phone message....” I had assumed there must be a current going to the Qi plate. I have an iPhone X which is large but just fits in the tray. It has worked fine for the last 6 months (since getting car new) and I have tried with the protective cover on and off - again this cover is Qi compatible and has worked fine for the last 6 months. Time to contact the dealer methinks.

4 hours ago, Baffy said:

Thanks roo - I haven’t checked the fuse, which seems an obvious thing to do now, but as it recognises that a phone is there and only then gives the “Failed to charge phone message....” I had assumed there must be a current going to the Qi plate. I have an iPhone X which is large but just fits in the tray. It has worked fine for the last 6 months (since getting car new) and I have tried with the protective cover on and off - again this cover is Qi compatible and has worked fine for the last 6 months. Time to contact the dealer methinks.

Does it charge on a Qi charger elsewhere? Noticed my wife’s iPhone X wasn’t charging on one in the house, and she’d said her phone battery level had gone lower than normal recently. Still charged okay on a lightning lead. I turned the phone off and on and it started charging again.

Just now, Ivan8192 said:

Does it charge on a Qi charger elsewhere? Noticed my wife’s iPhone X wasn’t charging on one in the house, and she’d said her phone battery level had gone lower than normal recently. Still charged okay on a lightning lead. I turned the phone off and on and it started charging again.

Yes it charges fine on the Qi chargers in the house and through the USB connection in the car. Will try the IT Helpdesk remedy of turning it off and back on again :-) 

On 27/12/2018 at 19:16, Baffy said:

Thanks for the heads-up @Baffy. My Samsung Galaxy Note 8 has been charging fine in my Skoda Kodiaq 2017/ 2018 "phonebox" ever since I bought the car in March 2018. A week or so ago it, the Infotainment message, started flashing "Phone charging" (or something like that), then dropping out of charging mode almost immediately thereafter. But Bluetooth and other phone connections still work fine.

We also tried an iPhone X charging in the "phonebox", and it didn't recognise the phone at all - protective cover on or off.

I'd greatly appreciate you sharing any resolution you might get back from Skoda from your investigations.

Regards from an otherwise Skoda owner in Oz

I may be wrong in this assumption but as I understand it the wirless charging has been discontinued in the latest UK models, something to do with licensing issues. It won't be reinstated 'till that's sorted. Is it possible that skoda could have put out an update cutting it off for all? Just looked up the Kodiaq Forum, similar issue. Apparently it's to do with the signal booster and I assume the license issue is to do with that. The wirless charging is linked to the booster. Rich 

Edited by Rich2
Added additional information from Kodiaq Forum
  • Thanks 1

Did u have the car recently serviced?

If so it's likely they disabled the Qi charging when they disabled the phonebox because of the signal booster breaching the transmission frequencies or rules, or something along those lines.

Newer models r meant to come with a revised Phonebox that don't have the phone signal boosting component, and just have the Qi Charger only.

Well, at least that is the case here in Oz.

Edited by JR RS
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, JR RS. 

No, it hasn't been serviced for about 6 months, and only became intermittent about a month ago (flashes phone charging message, charges for a bit, then flashes the same message again). No doubt due to Qi system somehow.

Thanks JR RS and Rich2 - mine is only 6 months old and hasn’t been back to Skoda since initial troubles with failed gearbox. That was 2 weeks after delivery. Qi charger worked fine up until a couple of weeks ago when just suddenly stopped “connecting” to phone. I too had read about the signal booster issue and UK regulations but as mine was working this shouldn’t be the cause of the problem - yet.

i say “yet” because it’s booked into Skoda in 2 weeks time when I expect them to say “sorry we have had to disconnect phonebox with Qi and signal boost due to UK frequency regs”. I will then be seeking refund on this optional extra.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Baffy said:

Thanks JR RS and Rich2 - mine is only 6 months old and hasn’t been back to Skoda since initial troubles with failed gearbox. That was 2 weeks after delivery. Qi charger worked fine up until a couple of weeks ago when just suddenly stopped “connecting” to phone. I too had read about the signal booster issue and UK regulations but as mine was working this shouldn’t be the cause of the problem - yet.

i say “yet” because it’s booked into Skoda in 2 weeks time when I expect them to say “sorry we have had to disconnect phonebox with Qi and signal boost due to UK frequency regs”. I will then be seeking refund on this optional extra.

Thanks Baffy. Please let us know the outcome of the charging problem by the phonebox once you get the service done. Hopefully it's a simple fix.

I bought my Kodiaq off the showroom floor in March 2018, which had all the extras already included, including the Tech Pack, so hopefully the intermittent phone charging problem is a simple warranty repair job.

• 3 weeks later...

So car's been with Main Dealer and they have confirmed the fault but don't have a fix. They have also confirmed that the fault is only with iPhones and not Android - this doesn't really help me as I have an iPhone :-) 

They have contacted Skoda UK and I am now waiting further instruction.

Hi All. As previously reported/ questioned on this forum about 2 months ago, re: intermittent phone box charging an Android Note 8 phone fault.

I finally got a diagnosis from the dealer (ie car is still under a 5 year dealer warranty), that the phone charging inverter pad thingy is faulty, and nothing to do with the issues that UK Skoda dealers are faced with, as reported on this forum, viz legality of boosting of mobile signals by Skoda antennae etc.

Good news for Oz Skoda Kodiaq owners though, but bad news about the potentially long waiting time for the spare parts to arrive from Europe (Czech Republic, Germany, or wherever?)

This is a 2nd 'component part failure' for my 2017 build (2018 plate) 2.0 TSI Kodiaq - the previous one being a faulty boot lock motor. Little things like these failures don't inspire my future confidence in maintaining this vehicle once the 5 year dealer warranty expires

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, GnurkeGnurk said:

Wireless charger is that xtra? how can i check if i got this?

U will c a "qi" symbol on the mat, if it has it.

Screenshot_20190605-181319.thumb.png.1cb851d777a6f1195333c6fdb8f24560.png

Edited by JR RS