1,5 TSI with 7-speed DSG

fp01

Be aware also that the 1.6 diesel is not much longer for this world, VAG plan to replace it with a newly designed 1.5 diesel. No idea of timescale, its been in the works a long time though.

Edit: Just read that plans for the 1.5 diesel have been scrapped. They are to concentrate on hybrids and EVs now....

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

100 mile motorway journeys are great with Euro 6 TDI SCR / DSG or even Euro6 Temp D.

My issue is my 2 1/2 year old Seat 2.0 TDI SCR / DSG with 40,000 miles that i no longer use for local runs as on its 3rd winter it no longer likes doing just 3 or 4 miles 10-15 times between longer runs.

Penultimate version maybe of the VW Group TDI great cheaters that can do great economy in the right circumstances and usage. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a conversation with a lady from Skoda UK head office who stated that the engine does not have a fault ... the problems we are experiencing are simply a 'CHARACTERISTIC' of the engine!!! 

Really? 

A solution for the few engines with the 'CHARACTERISTIC' is expected by the end of June.

Despite it only being a 'CHARACTERISTIC' and not a fault I was offered the possibility of a loan vehicle until mine could be fixed!

So thats what Skoda think.

4 minutes ago, EssEmmTee said:

Had a conversation with a lady from Skoda UK head office who stated that the engine does not have a fault ... the problems we are experiencing are simply a 'CHARACTERISTIC' of the engine!!! 

Really? 

A solution for the few engines with the 'CHARACTERISTIC' is expected by the end of June.

Despite it only being a 'CHARACTERISTIC' and not a fault I was offered the possibility of a loan vehicle until mine could be fixed!

So thats what Skoda think.

Hi, I went to the dealership the third time I lost gear, which they call a "throttle response" issue, and told them the car was not safe to drive.  They didn't quibble or argue or question me, they just took my car away and gave me one off the forecourt.  You should definitely take the loan car option.  I will get mine back when the software updates are available.  I think you should do what I did as you are the only other driver I know who has had the loss of drive/loss of gear. I came very close to being hit by a recycling lorry the third time it happened and I usually have children in the car with me so there was no way I was going to risk their safety as well as my own.  If the issues can't be repaired then I will be rejecting the car.  Good luck.

14 minutes ago, Georgina said:

They didn't quibble or argue or question me, they just took my car away and gave me one off the forecourt.  You should definitely take the loan car option.  

Make sure your insurance is aware you are driving a different car, otherwise you are not covered. Some policies cover the use of a courtesy car for up to seven days. A loan car might be classed as something else. Generally speaking any insurance that the garage offers on the loan car will be third party only and ridiculous excess up to £1000, and won't be valid unless you signed all the correct paperwork and have a photocopy of your licence taken by the garage before you drove it away as in any hire arrangement.

22 minutes ago, Georgina said:

If the issues can't be repaired then I will be rejecting the car. 

Good luck with that. Do not assume it will be easy, no matter what you have be told. Skoda have repeatedly denied this is a safety issue. I think it could be difficult once the 30 day and 6 month windows have passed. Make sure you have lodged your reasons for rejection in writing with the dealer asap and ask for acknowledgement in writing.

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/154226/the-consumer-rights-act-and-new-cars

37 minutes ago, xman said:

Make sure your insurance is aware you are driving a different car, otherwise you are not covered. Some policies cover the use of a courtesy car for up to seven days. A loan car might be classed as something else. Generally speaking any insurance that the garage offers on the loan car will be third party only and ridiculous excess up to £1000, and won't be valid unless you signed all the correct paperwork and have a photocopy of your licence taken by the garage before you drove it away as in any hire arrangement.

Good luck with that. Do not assume it will be easy, no matter what you have be told. Skoda have repeatedly denied this is a safety issue. I think it could be difficult once the 30 day and 6 month windows have passed. Make sure you have lodged your reasons for rejection in writing with the dealer asap and ask for acknowledgement in writing.

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/154226/the-consumer-rights-act-and-new-cars

Insurance sorted but thank  you for your concern.  I don't expect a car rejection to be easy, having already done my research on this, but if it can't be repaired I have no intention of driving it again and certainly not with my son in it.  Whether that means it sits in the driveway til the contract ends or it is rejected, I'm not driving a car that can 'lose' throttle. I can live with looking like a kangaroo having put up with a Ford Powershift for 3 years, but not loss of throttle when driving.   Best wishes.

Hi, I have been experiencing the same issues with juddery DSG gearbox and also complete loss of power when engine cold. After experiencing this with my children in the car enough was enough! After getting nowhere with dealer, contacted Skoda UK who have given me a hire car until mine is fixed too. Likewise their response was it’s a “characteristic of the engine”!! If that was the case then I wouldn’t have bought this car as have driven a DSG for 15 years and never experienced it! Let’s see what happens by June! 

• Like 3

Surprising that the lady at Skoda UK is not saying that they introduced the characteristic last year in celebration of the decade and a half anniversary of VW's DSG production.

Vorsprung Durch Technik, 'never learned not to treat paying customers like morons' especially in the age of Social Media..

Screenshot 2019-03-25 at 21.35.46.png

• Like 1

Update:

My car is going to the dealer tomorrow morning for the 'fix'. 

It seems that dealing with Skoda UK rather than the supplying dealer gets things moving a little faster.

I'm really hoping the 'fix' works and doesn't have any negative side effects like reduced mpg.

April 1st...

I really hope when you get there the Software Update is applicable to your particular model. 

I would want to see the 'Trust Building Statement' they must have, assuring you there will be no adverse affect on Power or Fuel Economy.

But then unlike the Diesel Emissions fix and the statements to owners with that,

Your car is going in faulty or with unacceptable characteristics, potentially dangerous and supposed to come out with that resolved.

Good luck. 

• Like 1

My car has had the software update today and I’m collecting it tomorrow, phone call from the dealer came out of the blue today. Fingers crossed and am keeping an open mind and positive outlook.  

• Like 1

My dog got the FIX and I asked the same question. The vet told me that she cut his balls off.

Hope they don't so the same to kangaroos.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, TheRobinK said:

My dog got the FIX and I asked the same question. The vet told me that she cut his balls off.

Hope they don't so the same to kangaroos.    

Might ask my dealer to try that if it calms SKIPPY down.:D

Remember when I received the letter (lies) about the offer to FIX my Yeti ,it stated there would be no difference to the economy or performance ,and we all know what happened there.

• Haha 1

I have had the fix to alleviate the throttle response problem when cold and it seems to be fine.... as well as having the intermittent lack of throttle response sorted (I hope!) I seem to have smoother starts when pulling away at junctions... even with my size 12s I am not getting as much wheelspin!

The bunnyhop fix is supposed to come later in Q2 but the “dangerous?” problem seems to have been sorted.

I the fix doesn’t work I may well go for the 1.0 DSG which hopefully doesn’t have the same problems. 

Much too early to say if the 'fix' has worked as I have only driven once with a cold engine (this morning).

The initial response to accelerator input on moving off seemed to take a little longer than previously BUT it may be that I became used to the loan car (a Vauxhall Mokka) so will have to see how it goes.

Edited by Guest

Just a suggestion.

Maybe someone with a 1.5 TSI could start a new thread. A  Q2 1.5 tsi resolving issues thread.

Then people that had issues could say when their car was built, if a manual or DSG,

what issues they had and what Software Update they have had.  Was it pre Q2, or the ones people are getting told are available now.

9 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I have had the fix to alleviate the throttle response problem when cold and it seems to be fine.... as well as having the intermittent lack of throttle response sorted (I hope!) I seem to have smoother starts when pulling away at junctions... even with my size 12s I am not getting as much wheelspin!

The bunnyhop fix is supposed to come later in Q2 but the “dangerous?” problem seems to have been sorted.

I the fix doesn’t work I may well go for the 1.0 DSG which hopefully doesn’t have the same problems. 

I have the 1.0 TSI DSG, 18 plate, got it before the WLTP saga, no problems at all (touch wood) :)

Have just got the car back from the dealer some fixes with creaky seat and door handle, all fixed. There have also been a software update for my 1.5 tsi dsg engine.  Slow traffic back from the dealer but acc in heavy slow traffic was much smoother than before. When i started the engine from cold there was also a much more smooth running from the engine, temprature here in Norway today is 4 celsius. Throttle respons when i drove manualy without acc seems a bit more slow than before so  the pedal have to be pushed a bit harder. Early stage but it seems better but not yet 100%

• Like 2