Front Grille replacement

Has anyone attempted this and if so is it an easy job (DIY) or does it need to go into a bodyshop/dealer?  I'm thinking about replacing the stock grille with one like the one below so it matches the honeycomb effect in the grill below it in the bumper.

https://www.tmcmotorsport.com/product/9564

I think this will look so much nicer as seen below :-

image.png.0d65bc6b66b002b6bb1094d4fb3abbb2.png

I've tried all the usual sources (youtube etc) on the net and can't find anything specific for a Superb MKII.

I’ve replaced my front grille and surround together with a mate of mine.

It is perfectly doable, although some of the screws are more than a little tricky to get to, if you don’t want to remove the front bumper. A second pair of hands is more than useful.

I used a German guide to see what’s what, but I can’t seem to find it right now.

• Thanks 1

@cronemeister Here is screenshot from ifinterface.com (kind of online ETKA):

sans-titre-5750044.png

I don't know if it helps to remove it.

The grill (#5) is clipped on the cover trim (#7)  (or the contrary... 🤔) They are then clipped and screwed on the bumper. 

You'll need to remove the cross panel (#4) to get easier access to:

- the 7 Hexagon socket head panel bolts (#10) all around

- the tabs all around the grill, from the inner side, to unclip them from the bumper.

Finally, be careful when ordering your new honey comb grill. There may be 2 parts to order: #5 (grille) + #6 (trim), which hides the sensor / system for ACC & Front assist.

• Thanks 1

On 28/04/2020 at 14:26, cronemeister said:

Has anyone attempted this and if so is it an easy job (DIY) or does it need to go into a bodyshop/dealer?  I'm thinking about replacing the stock grille with one like the one below so it matches the honeycomb effect in the grill below it in the bumper.

https://www.tmcmotorsport.com/product/9564

I think this will look so much nicer as seen below :-

image.png.0d65bc6b66b002b6bb1094d4fb3abbb2.png

I've tried all the usual sources (youtube etc) on the net and can't find anything specific for a Superb MKII.

I see in the link that it includes the radar cover. Note that it will also need a grille frame surround to clip onto the outside of the frame 👍

• 2 months later...

Yes realise that. Thanks. The only issue is I’ve the L&K chrome surround and it seems you only get the main honeycomb bit and not the edge in gloss black. Superskoda don’t appear to sell the edge in gloss black separately. They have it in a dual colour; red and black. 

Just undecided and wanted to see other pics with cars having it fitted. 

1 hour ago, freeglide said:

Yes realise that. Thanks. The only issue is I’ve the L&K chrome surround and it seems you only get the main honeycomb bit and not the edge in gloss black. Superskoda don’t appear to sell the edge in gloss black separately. They have it in a dual colour; red and black. 

Can't u plastidip ur chrome surround in gloss black, since ur taking it apart any to fit the honeycomb grille?

4 hours ago, Xiin said:

Here is my fresh install.

Otherwise it looks good, but for my taste background is too exposed.

I think I have to mod black mesh behind the grill or something...

20200716_110957.jpg

The radiator looks really exposed to stone strikes in that picture!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xiin said:

Heres another go at it.

Got silver mesh from local auto parts store, painted it black and installed it behind the grill and front lip also found its way under the bumper. Much better now !

That looks way way better and as @NJRJ pointed out before, less exposed n vulnerable now to stones & debri.

Good work.

15 hours ago, freeglide said:

They should have the all black surround for sale. I've bought and fitted it!

Edit. Here it is: http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/SUPERB-III/Superb-III-grille-frame-SPORT-LINE-Black-magic-metallic-paint-F9R

Edited by boydeee
Link added

1 hour ago, boydeee said:

They should have the all black surround for sale. I've bought and fitted it!

Edit. Here it is: http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/SUPERB-III/Superb-III-grille-frame-SPORT-LINE-Black-magic-metallic-paint-F9R

Did you fit it to a standard grille? How easy was it?

1 minute ago, Max M4X WW said:

Did you fit it to a standard grille? How easy was it?

I did yes. It was a bit of a pain. But, once you see what you're up against, it isn't too bad. Just be methodical and don't swear too much!

Just now, boydeee said:

I did yes. It was a bit of a pain. But, once you see what you're up against, it isn't too bad. Just be methodical and don't swear too much!

Did you keep the chrome slats? Got any photos at all?

4 minutes ago, Max M4X WW said:

Did you keep the chrome slats? Got any photos at all?

I do still have the chrome slats yes. It doesn't come out as well in photos as it looks in real life. I'll have a look

3 hours ago, boydeee said:

It's hard to photograph well, but it gives you an idea 👍

20200430_170954.jpg

Looks great thanks.

I have not noticed a difference between sportline fog lights before? Do they just have a smaller chrome bit?

d2cc8c2e9d754043a69460944d1fd05c.jpg

56675e5879e34ebfabaff2ae1400a4b6.jpg

2 hours ago, Roscio said:

3) black logo

3.thumb.jpg.007a10aebe29213b48ab8ac94a973259.jpg

I like this - I think this is the route ill take - get a sportsline gloss black grill and surround like this - no disrespect but I am not enamoured with the look of the honeycomb grill - mainly due to aesthetics and how you can see all the internals as discussed. I have more chrome on my front bumper ill have to sort too!! Might be going for a full de-chrome at some stage tbh.....

FG

1 hour ago, Max M4X WW said:

I have not noticed a difference between sportline fog lights before? Do they just have a smaller chrome bit?

Yes, from wat I can see too.

Tis a very small difference really.

6 hours ago, JR RS said:

@Roscio u should get the smoked black foglights (sportline version) too if u can 🙂

it will darken the front of ur car even more.

I admit that I struggled to notice the differences between the two versions, I think the ones I have are fine! :thumbup:

5 hours ago, freeglide said:

no disrespect but I am not enamoured with the look of the honeycomb grill - mainly due to aesthetics and how you can see all the internals as discussed.

Looking at @Xiin's first pic i thought the same. But honestly with that black mesh behind it's not bad at all.