MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure

Jelugs

Hi,

Has anyone done an update for the above. The portal for my VIN number is showing an update available but i cant find a procedure for the MY21.

My dealer had previously told me that there is no SD card on the latest Sat nav?? So I am a bit stuck at the moment.

Thanks in advance

The MY21 Amundsen (MIB3) still uses an SD card memory for the maps etc, but it is not accessible. Instead the maps can either update themselves using the online data connection, or - I'm told - they can be updated by downloading the file onto a USB memory and plugging it into a USB-C socket. 

I've only tried this with the Radio Logo file, but that doesn't add any of my missing radio logos :( 

Chris

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if somehow you have to initiate the on line data connection? Also presumably it’s the USB -C connection by the gearstick and 12v power socket? I have the file downloaded but no further than that!

Regards

Eric

I've read the update portal information, and it also says there's an update for my MIB3 Amundsen (to ECE 2020/2021). But it ignores the fact that MIB3 systems don't have access to the SD card, and would presumably have to update via the USB-C ports down by the gear selector. I've downloaded the 25Gb zipped update file, which seems to then contain 207GB of files! I haven't got a 256GB USB memory stick so can't get any further at the moment.

The update webpage does imply this file covers the whole world, so I wonder if the Windows downloader program it fleetingly mentions only extracts the Western European maps or something? But I can find no further mention about this software. 

For online updates, I believe you just need a MY21 car with the Infotainment Online service active. (This is free for the first year for MY21 cars.) This is working on mine as I can see the petrol prices at nearby petrol stations, but it hasn't attempted to download a map update to my knowledge. (My Amundsen's System Information still shows the navigation database as 19.11.)

As I've experienced elsewhere while trying to get radio logos for my presets, the factory seem to have started fitting the MIB3 Infotainment systems before telling the dealers or Skoda technical support how to answer these basic queries!  

Interesting days! And I've also seen a report on another Karoq forum that an owner has tried to update his maps and crashed the whole satnav system! So I think I'll hold off until I have clear instructions from Skoda on how we're supposed to do it :)

Chris

I will play around with all this some more when I have chance. Having said that you are 100% right when you say about information lagging the release of the hardware! Please Skoda get your finger out and get the information out to us all.

I've been looking at the VW update portal - since the latest T-Roc also has a MIB3 satnav system, and owners are reporting the the same problems getting radio logos and updating maps. That leads me to : https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/dam/jcr:be0a282e-76bc-4f98-bf3c-bdd9d5294591/Discover Media Gen.3 June_2020_EN.pdf

which is the download manual for their version of the updated maps. Interestingly, VW use the 7z compression format rather than Skoda's zip, but the actual files look remarkably similar. However their file covers Western Europe and only needs a 32GB USB stick. 

I'll have to go back to my downloaded Skoda file and see why the extracted files wouldn't fit on my USB stick tomorrow. 

Chris

I will play around with all this some more when I have chance. Having said that you are 100% right when you say about information lagging the release of the hardware! Please Skoda get your finger out and get the information out to us all.

8 minutes ago, Jelugs said:

Hi,

Doesn’t this refer to only the MIB 2 Amundsen , that how I see it!   Maybe I am missing something

RegardsEric

Not sure who you were aiming that comment at? I agree the Skoda Update Portal hasn't been updated to reflect the MIB3 Amundsen, and the video shows an SD card being inserted into a non-existent SD card slot! The VW Discover Media Gen 3 is I believe the VW version of the MIB3 Amundsen, and uses the USB-C slots instead. 

Chris

11 hours ago, CJJE said:

Not sure who you were aiming that comment at? I agree the Skoda Update Portal hasn't been updated to reflect the MIB3 Amundsen, and the video shows an SD card being inserted into a non-existent SD card slot! The VW Discover Media Gen 3 is I believe the VW version of the MIB3 Amundsen, and uses the USB-C slots instead. 

Chris

Watching this with interest.

Also I posted about the Gen3 postcode does not show streets - just a position with coordinates. This is not helpful when trying to return somewhere and selecting a destination from a list of coordinates in the 'previous destinations' list.

Seems Skoda have taken a step backwards a decade on this approach.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stewartv said:

Watching this with interest.

Also I posted about the Gen3 postcode does not show streets - just a position with coordinates. This is not helpful when trying to return somewhere and selecting a destination from a list of coordinates in the 'previous destinations' list.

Seems Skoda have taken a step backwards a decade on this approach.

It's not just Skoda as the same MIB3 systems are also being fitted in SEATs and VWs, with the same complaints being made in their forums too! So it's a VAG-wide problem - they've launched a new product without training their support staff or dealers, and with inadequate documentation!

Perhaps a flood of complaints from customers will help them to prioritise remedial action?

Chris 

I too have downloaded the 25gb update, expanded it all to a USB-C drive, plugged it into my MIB3 Columbus and .... nothing. Setttings->Information->Update doesn't show anything available. I did have an over the air update on Wednesday for the online store but nothing else. Really not impressed with these issues and its sort of souring my first Skoda experience. 

19 minutes ago, stewartv said:

Thanks Chris.

Email sent to Skoda UK and also the dealer

Hi there. Did you mail a particular address at Skoda UK?

38 minutes ago, JonVonWeston said:

I too have downloaded the 25gb update, expanded it all to a USB-C drive, plugged it into my MIB3 Columbus and .... nothing. Setttings->Information->Update doesn't show anything available. I did have an over the air update on Wednesday for the online store but nothing else. Really not impressed with these issues and its sort of souring my first Skoda experience. 

Hi there. Did you mail a particular address at Skoda UK?

I used the Contact Form on the Skoda UK website... at Contact Us form | ŠKODA UK (skoda.co.uk)

Chris

15 hours ago, CJJE said:

I've read the update portal information, and it also says there's an update for my MIB3 Amundsen (to ECE 2020/2021). But it ignores the fact that MIB3 systems don't have access to the SD card, and would presumably have to update via the USB-C ports down by the gear selector. I've downloaded the 25Gb zipped update file, which seems to then contain 207GB of files! I haven't got a 256GB USB memory stick so can't get any further at the moment.

The update webpage does imply this file covers the whole world, so I wonder if the Windows downloader program it fleetingly mentions only extracts the Western European maps or something? But I can find no further mention about this software. 

For online updates, I believe you just need a MY21 car with the Infotainment Online service active. (This is free for the first year for MY21 cars.) This is working on mine as I can see the petrol prices at nearby petrol stations, but it hasn't attempted to download a map update to my knowledge. (My Amundsen's System Information still shows the navigation database as 19.11.)

As I've experienced elsewhere while trying to get radio logos for my presets, the factory seem to have started fitting the MIB3 Infotainment systems before telling the dealers or Skoda technical support how to answer these basic queries!  

Interesting days! And I've also seen a report on another Karoq forum that an owner has tried to update his maps and crashed the whole satnav system! So I think I'll hold off until I have clear instructions from Skoda on how we're supposed to do it :)

Chris

Correction to above post.

Having extracted the files on my PC, I find there are only 26.5 GB of files. So am presently copying to a USB stick which I've formatted as exFat with 4096 bytes set as the Allocation Size. I suspect the default Allocation Size setting caused my previous attempt to report back there wasn't enough space on the USB stick! 

Chris

Maybe someone can cross post to the other forums where the amundsen gen 3 is used?

The more input to skoda the more chance they might respond to someone?

Edited by stewartv
Added text

1 hour ago, JonVonWeston said:

Thanks Chris - I'll send a mail to that address also.

I have also sent a complaint regarding the whole scenario on MIB3, if we all do it we may get some action!!!

22 hours ago, Jelugs said:

I have also sent a complaint regarding the whole scenario on MIB3, if we all do it we may get some action!!!

Hi Everyone,

I have had a long chat with Skoda over the update scenario on MIB3 system and i have attached the chat transcript for anyones info!  Its a bit protracted but does shed some light on a poor situationSkoda transcript re Update.doc

1 hour ago, Jelugs said:

Hi Everyone,

I have had a long chat with Skoda over the update scenario on MIB3 system and i have attached the chat transcript for anyones info!  Its a bit protracted but does shed some light on a poor situationSkoda transcript re Update.doc

Thanks for that. So they're confirming that the new ECE 2020/2021 file is the current mapping data, but since the online updates only apply to your locality the car's maps are likely to be a mix of the old and new? I certainly have auto updates turned on in my car since it told me it was downloading a small update a few weeks back. But the System Information says my navigation database is till 19.11. 

And I don't see why Skoda would provide a downloadable file for us if we can't install it! At least she's accepted that the Update Portal doesn't make sense, so hopefully it will get reported back and corrected. (I'm pretty sure it is a Skoda Czechia page, that it translated in the appropriate languages, as when you click on the small 'i' it gives you a note in Czech!)

I presume you were chatting with Skoda UK over the webpage chat link? I had a similar protracted chat with Skoda UK's Twitter DM feed about radio logos, and came away with the suspicion that the customer services people can only follow a script on their computer screen, because after a while they gave up trying to provide answers and just transferred my query off to technical support. (Who also then found they didn't have any answers and could only promise to chase Skoda Czechia for answers!) 

Chris

We are 'hitting the buffers' I'm afraid as Skoda's UK Customer Services (along with VW, Audi etc,) is outsourced to Capita or a similar conglomerate and so call handlers generally can only provide answers to queries on their scripts! You may be lucky if they escalate your query to a higher level, but the chances of actually speaking to an actual Skoda employee are similar to BJ being awarded Hairstyle of the Year!  HTH. :biggrin:

Seasons Greetings

Robin

10 minutes ago, Merlinman said:

We are 'hitting the buffers' I'm afraid as Skoda's UK Customer Services (along with VW, Audi etc,) is outsourced to Capita or a similar conglomerate and so call handlers generally can only provide answers to queries on their scripts! You may be lucky if they escalate your query to a higher level, but the chances of actually speaking to an actual Skoda employee are similar to BJ being awarded Hairstyle of the Year!  HTH. :biggrin:

Seasons Greetings

Robin

Don't be too dismissive! I've had two phone calls from a Skoda UK technical support guy about the missing radio logos, from the radio and update file, and about how you can persuade the MIB3 Amundsen to read the file. But even he had to admit defeat and say all he could do was to refer the problem back to Skoda HQ!