New Octavia tips and tricks

roo

Leaving the indicator stalk "on" enables the sidelights on just that side of the car, as parking lights... why would you ever want just one side?!

Parking Lights - I believe still a requirement in certain European countries like German.

• Like 1

I think the reason is that you only need to light the side of the car which is sticking out into the road. So dpending which side you have the car parked on, or which country you are in, you select which side you want to illuminate.

If a skip or a piece of plant equipment is on the highway, they only put lanterns on the side stuck in the road. (mostly)

Cheers

Rick

A couple of things dicovered on my trip to Prague:

- rear wiper will not work if boot is open (not close properly)

- if breaking hard the hazard lights will come on (from 200km/h down to 40km/h in my case)

"digitall speedometer,"

This is something I would be interested in. Someone said how to set it was at the start of this post but I have looked and its not there.

Can you have a digital Speedo on the Octavia. I have the maxidot display.

Possibly specific to my car this one. The trailer lighting relies on the same fuse as the rear luggage area 12v accessory socket.

Having suffered failure of all my trailer lights yeserday I spent a 'happy' time trying to find an earth fault with my lighting board/plug.:mad:

Then I looked for a fuse problem. The locations listed as holding 'towing device' fuses were all empty.:confused:

By luck, a quick diagnostic check for a good earth connection at the socket consisted of using a test bulb between the 12v accesory socket live and the towing socket earthing pin. Nothing. Being of a suspiciuos nature I double checked the bulb across the accessory socket - nothing. Double checked it across battery - OK. Moment of dawning realisation. Check fuse for accesory socket - blown. Replace fuse and, you guessed it, trailer lighting back.:thumbup:

Not sure if this means the (fitted at delivery form new) relay gubbins relies on power from the same source. Or is the fuse on the earth from the accesory socket and the towing attachment earth has been piggy backed on to that?

I had a similar problem on my CRV once. That had a big blade fuse under the bonnet. In that case a flat battery required removal and replacement of the fuse to reset the relay box. Not, of course, that the dealer told me that when I took delivery.

Similarly it would have been nice to have been told about the arrangements on the Octavia. Perhaps it's a case of "they're NOT all like that sir".

Parking Lights - I believe still a requirement in certain European countries like German.

I just found this on the Highway Code site:

223: All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph.

Law RVLR reg 24

Regards all

Ray

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
I think the reason is that you only need to light the side of the car which is sticking out into the road. So dpending which side you have the car parked on, or which country you are in, you select which side you want to illuminate.

The reason for only lighting one side up is to reduce the chances of having a flat battery the next morning.

• 3 weeks later...
Here's a really weird one I discovered tonight - if you come to a stop and turn off the engine, leaving either of your indicators flashing, when you open the driver's door you'll hear the "boing" noise as if you've left your lights on... in fact you have!

Leaving the indicator stalk "on" enables the sidelights on just that side of the car, as parking lights... why would you ever want just one side?!:rubchin:

First saw this on Mark 111 Cortinas was it? Let's you illuminate the side of the car away from the kerb. Good idea on dark roads if you have to park for a while. Drains the battery half as slowly. :D
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Change Aero Wipers rubber only + part Nº

If you want to save money by changing only the rubber on your Aero wipers, here is part number. The price at the dealer is only €10 + VAT (£6 + VAT):

- 1K0 955 429 - RHD 650mm

- 1K0 955 429 A - RHD 700mm

- 1K0 955 429 B - LHD 650mm

- 1K0 955 429 C - LHD 700mm

Well, the only difference between LHD and RHD is the shape of the cap. To take off the old rubber you have to take off the cap first. Then just pull off the rubber. Put the old rubber by the new one and cut it the same size. Rubber has no metal rails like standard wipers do. So, just cut it with scisors or knife.

Now the difference between the caps is like this. Look carefuly to caps on each side of your aero wiper and you'll see they have little wing, but the wing is not in the middle. That's the difference. To change the rubber you have to take off the cap on the top and not on the bottom, as the bottom one is not supposed to get off.

When I got my rubbers they were for RHD and my car is LHD. Rubbers come with two caps each, but both caps are the same and both for the top of the wiper. You get those caps because when you take off old ones they usualy break inside so don't fit back. As my new ones were for RHD I took old ones off carefuly and they didn't break. At the time I've ordered mine I didn't know about A, B, and C, so they sold me RHD. I put the old caps back and everything is OK.

One more thing:

After yoy take the cap off, you'll see one metal pin stucked into rubber. Just put the screwdriver below it and pull it out of the old rubber, but only 1-2mm. When you put the new rubber in, press the pin back in. It servers for rubber not to move.

Here is the link how to do it. It's in spanish but photos are more then enough:

http://www.vagclub.net/tec/escobillasat.pdf

I've changed mine in 5 minutes both.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Roo

Good stuff and useful but I am sad and read the owners manual. The coming home lights stay on for 40 secs set at the factory but you can change the period yourself by going into the MFD display and going into settings. You can then choose the delay time the lights stay on from off to 40 secs. I know thia as my sister was always being told she had left hers on so when I got my car I reduced the time down to 20secs.

First saw this on Mark 111 Cortinas was it? Let's you illuminate the side of the car away from the kerb. Good idea on dark roads if you have to park for a while. Drains the battery half as slowly. :D

Skoda have used this system for some time, my 1971 S100 had it - great feature :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...
Change Aero Wipers rubber only + part Nº

If you want to save money by changing only the rubber on your Aero wipers, here is part number. The price at the dealer is only €10 + VAT (£6 + VAT):

- 1K0 955 429 - RHD 650mm

- 1K0 955 429 A - RHD 700mm

- 1K0 955 429 B - LHD 650mm

- 1K0 955 429 C - LHD 700mm

Well, the only difference between LHD and RHD is the shape of the cap. To take off the old rubber you have to take off the cap first. Then just pull off the rubber. Put the old rubber by the new one and cut it the same size. Rubber has no metal rails like standard wipers do. So, just cut it with scisors or knife.

Now the difference between the caps is like this. Look carefuly to caps on each side of your aero wiper and you'll see they have little wing, but the wing is not in the middle. That's the difference. To change the rubber you have to take off the cap on the top and not on the bottom, as the bottom one is not supposed to get off.

When I got my rubbers they were for RHD and my car is LHD. Rubbers come with two caps each, but both caps are the same and both for the top of the wiper. You get those caps because when you take off old ones they usualy break inside so don't fit back. As my new ones were for RHD I took old ones off carefuly and they didn't break. At the time I've ordered mine I didn't know about A, B, and C, so they sold me RHD. I put the old caps back and everything is OK.

One more thing:

After yoy take the cap off, you'll see one metal pin stucked into rubber. Just put the screwdriver below it and pull it out of the old rubber, but only 1-2mm. When you put the new rubber in, press the pin back in. It servers for rubber not to move.

Here is the link how to do it. It's in spanish but photos are more then enough:

http://www.vagclub.net/tec/escobillasat.pdf

I've changed mine in 5 minutes both.

I ordered two of the - 1K0 955 429 C - LHD 700mm(live in Norway), to use on my octavia, but the passenger side wiper is only about 48 cm long, and when i started the job i learned that this one also was "narrower" so the little cap did not fit. Luckily i did not break the old one. I also only got one cap with each rubber!

Anyone have a part number on the shorter/smaller rubber?

I also want to add that i did not bend out the metal pin (if I do this several times it might break) I just pulled the old rubber out, and pushed the new one in. No problem!

ArvidG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Quote:

Originally Posted by rajivgowda999]

hi guys' date=' i am a new octy user and not aware of thw many functions it has, i came across this option of activating a digitall speedometer, i would like to know how to use this, thanks[/i']

Post #1 in this thread tells you how to do this!!

originally Posted by roo]Dual zone Climatronic settings

Like the previous version there are a ton of settings and information hidden in the climatronic computer.

To get this, press the ECON and the top right air direction button (next to recirc) simultaneously. To get back to temperature control press AUTO and ECON simultaneously

The passenger side temp control dial sets the section (1-30)

The fan speed dial sets the subsection and is shown in the passenger side LCD screen to the right of the main number.

The one that everyone wants is true speed, whis can be found in section 19.

Subsection 0 shows Kmh, subsection 1 shows Mph.

Subsection 3 shows the revs to the nearest 100 (tickover is about 870rpm and shows up as 08 on the display)

Post #2 gives you lots of information on other stuff you can do.

I tried this with no luck on my new Octavia L&K.

For the first I've to scroll the drivers temerature wheel to set the section 19, and it presents on the drivers temerature display. When I turn the passengers temerature wheel nothing happens. And when I go out of the programming mode with ECON+AUTO no changes applies, outside temperature is still presented on the maxi-dot.

Maybe this trick does not apply to the 2008 model?

I tried this with no luck on my new Octavia L&K.

For the first I've to scroll the drivers temerature wheel to set the section 19, and it presents on the drivers temerature display. When I turn the passengers temerature wheel nothing happens. And when I go out of the programming mode with ECON+AUTO no changes applies, outside temperature is still presented on the maxi-dot.

Maybe this trick does not apply to the 2008 model?

Are you definitely doing the following to get into it?

press the ECON and the top right air direction button (next to recirc) simultaneously.

When you get in there be a number with a smaller digit on the top right corner of the number.

Are you definitely doing the following to get into it?

press the ECON and the top right air direction button (next to recirc) simultaneously.

When you get in there be a number with a smaller digit on the top right corner of the number.

Yup, I'm getting into programming mode. But it is my left (drivers) side that get the numbers from 1-30 and with the smaller number in the top right corner of the bigger number.

When I go out with econ+auto I can't spot any difference.

Yup' date=' I'm getting into programming mode. But it is my left (drivers) side that get the numbers from 1-30 and with the smaller number in the top right corner of the bigger number.

When I go out with econ+auto I can't spot any difference.[/quote']

You don't go out to see the difference, you STAY in the mode and when you have the big and small numbers at the desired number the readout comes up on the other side climate display, exiting out just brings you back to the actual temp ;)

I hope that explains it, see how ya get on :thumbup:

Do the following exactly in this order

Press the ECON and the top right air direction button (next to recirc) simultaneously.

The fan speed dial sets the subsection and is shown in the passenger side LCD screen to the right of the main number.

The one that everyone wants is true speed, whis can be found in section 19.

Subsection 0 shows Kmh, subsection 1 shows Mph.

The result shows on the Drivers LCD screen

WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED..........

To get back to temperature control press AUTO and ECON simultaneously

You don't go out to see the difference, you STAY in the mode and when you have the big and small numbers at the desired number the readout comes up on the other side climate display, exiting out just brings you back to the actual temp ;)

I hope that explains it, see how ya get on :thumbup:

(...)

(...)

Thanks a lot, even me finally got it! :)

For some reason I thought it was the temperature indication in the maxi-dot that was going to change.

And the thing with "passenger side" confused me. I scrolled and scrolled on the passenger side temperature controller, swearing and cursing.., nothing helped. Guess the passenger side in Great Brittan differs slightly from the passenger side in Norway :D

I should have seen that one earlier, I know.

But at last I now understand how this "trick-mode" with the climate control works. Thanks a lot for your patience and help! :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

yes, and you can adjust the volume level to which the stereo goes down too.

Go into the stereo menu (might be the second or 3rd menu) and look for "PDC Vol". Mine was set to 9 I believe.

If you lower it, the stereo volume gets quieter. :thumbup:

At least I think that's what happens ;-)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Well it seems I have a Maxidot (an option not explicited on italian brochure), yet it seems I don't have access to the menu enabling the control to three blink.

I've left the car parked by trusting the "Auto shut off light", but after half of an hour, the lights were still on.

How can I enable the feature?

Another thing: can I calibrate the reverse park sensor? I found that at continuous (and really too loud) beep level, I still have more than 15cm available.

Is it possible to reduce beep volume?

TIA,

Stefano

Hi,

Well it seems I have a Maxidot (an option not explicited on italian brochure), yet it seems I don't have access to the menu enabling the control to three blink.

I've left the car parked by trusting the "Auto shut off light", but after half of an hour, the lights were still on.

How can I enable the feature?

Another thing: can I calibrate the reverse park sensor? I found that at continuous (and really too loud) beep level, I still have more than 15cm available.

Is it possible to reduce beep volume?

TIA,

Stefano

You must have the symbol that looks like a tunnel for auto lights to work.

To reduce reverse volume, look for the option PCD on the radio and lower that. 15cm is also correct for the final beep.

Thank you gadgetman,

I'll look for th PCD option.

About lights auto shut off, Where should this tunnel symbol be located?

Stefano

It goes OFF - Auto - sidelights - dipped beam

If you only have 3 options on the light dial, then you dont have auto lights.