Instrument Display Intermittent Fault - Octavia

colin42

2000 Skoda Octavia SLX TDi

My car has an intermittent issue with the instrument display.:confused: Some of the time the Speedo, Taco, Fuel & Temperature gauge plus the top row of warning lights (Coolant Temp, Low fuel, Immobiliser etc) stop working. Also when this happens I

I understand that the display unit contains the immobiliser – which immobiliser type is it. Could a display out of any similar VAG car work i.e. Golf.

it dosn't contain the immobilzer' date=' but it is linked to it, if got a new one it would have to be coded to the ecu and the immobilizer

My MOT is due in a couple of weeks – does anyone know if you need a working Speedo to pass it?

yes, if your speedo dosn't work it's an MOT failure, also applies to dome of the warining lights

The immobiliser is built into the dash panel insert, you would need to match part numbers and get log in codes for them.

The speedometer, though a legal requirement is not tested on the MOT. The only warning light that is tested is the ABS one, which has to match the specific order of illumination for that model of car.

Could just be a loose wiring connector, my mondeo did the same sometimes and all I did to fix it was remove the cluster and reseat the connections. I dont know how easy it is to remove the cluster on an octy, maybe one for the dealer.

Thanks for the help. I think I’ll put in for the MOT and if it fails on the display, wait until it works again and take it back!

The instrument display is easy to remove. I've had it apart however I can't find any fault with it - probably a fault component on the PCB. If anyone does have a circuit diagram for the instrument panel I would be grateful and I might be able to work out what's gone wrong!

Same problem here. Been driving without a speed for the last week....Gulp.

Some sites seem to suggest that it may be a faulty brake light fuse (my brake lights have been out as well), but trying to find which fuse is which (good old Skoda don't mark it on the panel!!!) is a pain in the a**e.

Maybe worth a try though....

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I've discovered an interesting observation with this fault. If i remove the fuse for the display unit keep alive power the the dials work 95% of the time. If I leave the fuse in it only works 5% of the time. The down side is that I either need to remember to reinsert the fuse before turning the engine off or accept that the trip computer resets each this i key off! anyhow it got through the MOT with any mention of the speedo fault. I've had the unit apart but can't see which component is at fault.

I guess i could...

a) fit a relay to turn on the keep alive power when the ignition is turned off

B) fit a manual switch to do the same

c) Replace the unit

I guess I should bite the bullet and choose option C!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

New member to Briskoda. I also have the identical instrument panel problem you describe. I have a x reg Octavia SDI. Speedo, rev counter, fuel Gauge and temp gauge zero most of the time, occasionally they come to life and work normally for the reminder of a journey could be as long as 20 minutes.

Could you please give an update on this issue thanks.

Regards

Sid

My car has an intermittent issue with the instrument display.:confused: Some of the time the Speedo, Taco, Fuel & Temperature gauge plus the top row of warning lights (Coolant Temp, Low fuel, Immobiliser etc) stop working. Also when this happens I’ve notices the “You’ve left your lights on” buzzer also stops working. These are all feature that appear linked to the ignition switch.

Hello Colin42, since you mention that the features that are failing are the ones linked to you ignition swith, maybe is a good idea that you check your ignition switch.

I use to have a problem with my ignition switch and one part of the switch was not working because was partially damage. For some reason the switch was getting overheat and the melting plastic residue was on top of a contac inside the switch and was not alowing to pass current. Maybe is a good idea that you check yours.

Please check my post and also you can find there a link to all the pics of my ignition switch.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/octavia/iginition-starter-switch-partially-damage/63768/

Good luck,

Isaac

• 2 weeks later...

My car has an intermittent issue with the instrument display.:confused: Some of the time the Speedo, Taco, Fuel & Temperature gauge plus the top row of warning lights (Coolant Temp, Low fuel, Immobiliser etc) stop working. Also when this happens I’ve notices the “You’ve left your lights on” buzzer also stops working. These are all feature that appear linked to the ignition switch. However reading another post on this site (http://www.briskoda.net/forums/octavia/octavia-instrument-pod/51080/) suggests that the actual display unit it self may be at fault… If so does anyone know what fails and if it is repairable without replacing this unit. – loose connection or something? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for these units

I’ve scanned the car with Vag Com and no fault codes are reported

I understand that the display unit contains the immobiliser – which immobiliser type is it. Could a display out of any similar VAG car work i.e. Golf.

My MOT is due in a couple of weeks – does anyone know if you need a working Speedo to pass it?

Cheers

PS. When this fault occurs I’ve been using a diagnostic screen on the climate control to display vehicle speed. Detail can be found here if you’re interested (Google Groups: alt.autos.audi):thumbup:

Hello Isaac,

I am pasting to you a reply that I sent to Alex who is also having the same problems as us, and also I have put several other threads about the commom problem on the Briskoda site:-

Hello Alex,

I have got the same problem with the instruments as yourself, and exactly as you describe it. I also notice that the 'lights on' warning buzzer also does not function any longer. My Octavia is the same year and a 1.6 like yours. I have posted other threads on the site about the problem, that you may also like to look at. The fault that we have is a well known one, to our particular model.

I have noticed that if I remove fuse 15 from the fuse box, which is a 'brown 5amp' one, then the speedo, rev counter, temperature gauge, petrol gauge all work normally again, but when turning off the ignition, remain at the last recorded reading. When the ignition is turned on again the needles all reset them selves to zero, but then read again normally. But the 'time clock' resets to zero each time, which I have found is the only draw back. But wrist watches are cheap enough, or a stick on crystal display.

This is not a cure, but at least is a cheap option. I have spent ages with a Haynes manual, which has a poor wiring diagram.

I would suggest that you find the fuse, and try removing it, and see how it alters your problem, as I can certainly live with mine, how it is now, instead of shelling out a load of money etc.

Regards SOVIET

Hope this helps you as well Isaac, as its worth a try.

Hello Colin,

I am copying and pasting a reply that I sent to a couple of the other fellows on the site that have the same problems as us, Regards 'Soviet'.:-

Hello Alex,

I have got the same problem with the instruments as yourself, and exactly as you describe it. I also notice that the 'lights on' warning buzzer also does not function any longer. My Octavia is the same year and a 1.6 like yours. I have posted other threads on the site about the problem, that you may also like to look at. The fault that we have is a well known one, to our particular model.

I have noticed that if I remove fuse 7 from the fuse box, which is a 'brown 5amp' one, then the speedo, rev counter, temperature gauge, petrol gauge all work normally again, but when turning off the ignition, remain at the last recorded reading. When the ignition is turned on again the needles all reset them selves to zero, but then read again normally. But the 'time clock' resets to zero each time, which I have found is the only draw back. But wrist watches are cheap enough, or a stick on crystal display.

This is not a cure, but at least is a cheap option, which will also allow your car to pass the MOT test

I have spent ages with a Haynes manual, which has a poor wiring diagram, and actually says that fuse 7 is for the reversing lights, but take my word for it, that it is one of two for the instrument cluster.

I would suggest that you find fuse 7, and try removing it, and see how it alters your problem, as I can certainly live with mine, how it is now, instead of sheeling out a load of money etc.

Regards SOVIET

Hello everybody,

Have had a frustrating Sunday morning, trying to get off the plastic surround from around my instrument panel. According to the Haynes manual on page 12.13 section 10, it is just a question of taking out the two screws from the top of the plastic surround, and pulling it out. No amount of tugging and pulling would free it from the bottom. I knew that I would have been better off going to church, rather than dropping the odd cuss word.

I tried every thing, as it appears that the surround is fixed at the bottom in some sort of way. Went off for a pint after that, as I got disheartened with it all.

I am still trying to fix the intermittant speedo, rev counter, petrol gauge, temperature gauge fault on my Octavia 2002 LX. I have given up trying to get the surround out, and so I would like to hear from any one that has done this operation before.

I have also found a web site called BBA-REMAN.COM who has a photograph on the site of my faulty instrument panel, which is listed as a regular fault.

They do repair these instrument panels with a two year warranty given, at a cost of £150 plus VAT and P&P, if they consider that the unit is repairable.

I am not sure of the cost of a new unit from Skoda dealers, and as to whether or not I may get one that will give trouble again.

Has anyone used this repair service, or had problems with a replacement new Skoda panel, from the dealer?

I have found that if I remove fuse 7 which is one of those for the instrument cluster, (and not for the reversing lights as stated in the Haynes manual), the gauges function OK, with the ignition on and while driving, but do not reset to zero when the ignition is switched off again. But the next time that the ignition key is turned to the 'on' position the gauges all judder back to zero, and then function normally. I suppose that I could always fit a relay across fuse 7 to reset the gauges to zero during switch off, or shell out loads of cash for a repair or replacement unit. I wish that Skoda would label fuse panels as this is not good engineering practice. Incidentally the lights on warning buzzer no longer functions, when the fault is present.

Oh well will soon be Christmas, and perhaps 'er in doors' will put a new top of the range Skoda in my stocking. Not Bl**dy likely.

Regards to all

Soviet (Swindon)

Hello all, (re-edit 22/11/2006)

Since writing the above, I have realised that the fuse panel as shown in the Haynes manual needs to be viewed from the rear by turning over the page, and in fact the fuse that I removed, was in fact fuse 15, one of two that feeds the instrument panel, and not fuse 7 as stated above. But by doing this gave me back operation of the instruments as decribed above, but I will try to do a complete cure when I get the panel out. For some reason Haynes printed the thing in reverse. Fuse 7 is after all for the reversing lights. Confusing or what?

Shine a torch through the rear page to see the correct fuse numbering lay out.

Ah well 'sheeps heads'

Soviet (Swindon)

As i have said on other threads on this subject.

If somebody can get me a faulty pod that they don't mind loosing I have a person who can probably fix it and if so you can have it back for postage costs plus any parts. That way if it is a simple fault they can all be fixed for much less than a new pod.

• 2 months later...

Bought a 99 Octavia 1.8 for my mum yesterday with the same intermittent gauges fault. Removing number 7 fuse is really a great work-around. Would love to know why. Thanks to previous contributors to the forum for saving me a large bill. :thumbup:

• 4 years later...

i am an mot tester you do not need a working spedo for an mot besides how would we check it with the car stationary in a mot bay

Drive it onto the ramps at 40mph :-)

I assume the speedo might be noticed during the brake efficiency tests?