HOWTO: New Octavia - Headlight Bulb Change

andy2407

• 2 weeks later...

Andy

Fantastic guide, great pics and write-up. :thumbup:

My parents have an Octy 2, so I shall bear this in mind if any of their bulbs go.

I want to upgrade the bulbs in my Superb, but I don't think it is as straightforward as the Octavia.

Thanks

Chris

Well done Andy:thumbup:

I changed mine in half light, wind and rain, and couldn't see how to release the connector.

Managed to do it with the connector in place, but there is a real risk of scratching the paintwork if the lamp slips.

How much leverage did you need on the connector tab? Are we talking fingers or screwdriver blades here? (Just so I know for next time.)

Thanks for the illustrated guide.

Well done Andy:thumbup:

I changed mine in half light, wind and rain, and couldn't see how to release the connector.

Managed to do it with the connector in place, but there is a real risk of scratching the paintwork if the lamp slips.

How much leverage did you need on the connector tab? Are we talking fingers or screwdriver blades here? (Just so I know for next time.)

Thanks for the illustrated guide.

I did it with fingers, although if I'm honest I must admit I'm not quite sure how I did it!

Lots of pushing and squuezing and wiggling seemed to do the trick.

If you look at the picture under step 8, you can see the little wedge shaped piece of plastic that ensures the clip locks in place when it is pushed back on, ie it slides up the wedge until it springs into the lock position. I just played around with the tab whilst pulling at the same time until it came undone.

• 4 months later...

Dear Andy.

I wish I had seen this before I found out myself how to do it! (Having not believed the owner's handbook which says it's a dealer job). I had even prepared text and pictures to post for others but they don't compare with yours so I've not bothered.

My only complaint with the Octavia is that the headlamps are poor so I've invested in Philips Xtreme + 80% for the dipped beam and some powerful bulbs for the main. Well worth the cost and effort if you use unlit roads at night.

Have a look on VRStu's site - Octavia-vrs.com. There is a guide on there for cars with Xenons which I used as a starting point for this one.

I think he is planning to add this one at some point, so that both options are shown on his site.

• 3 months later...

Would it be okay to change only the dipped beam? I rarely get to use main and when I do it seems okay.

Which is the best replacement bulb for the dipped? Car is 2.0FSI Elegance, non Xenon.

Would it be okay to change only the dipped beam? I rarely get to use main and when I do it seems okay.

Which is the best replacement bulb for the dipped? Car is 2.0FSI Elegance, non Xenon.

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be ok to do just the dipped beams, indeed that's what I'm planning to do myself.

There are various opinions on which are the best replacement bulbs, but I'm leaning towards the Philips X-Treme which were voted by Auto Express as Accessory of the Year 2007 and are completely road legal

They can be purchased from a variety of on-line stores such as Car Bulbs from Power Bulbs - upgrade xenon car bulbs, headlight bulbs, autobulbs and autolamps from Philips, Osram and GE or on ebay.

• Like 1

They are great photos! Do they also show the adjuster for the main beam height? I need to adjust mine down slightly without affecting the dipped beam so want to be sure that I'm turning the correct thing. Is it the white nut shaped thing on the bottom right of the rear of the unit shown? If so can it be reached with the unit in place?

• 1 month later...

I've just replaced my bulbs and started with the intention of following this guide but then I thought I'd see how far I could get without removing the headlamp units themselves and I managed to do both sides. The drivers side is a bit more trickey as there is an obstruction making access difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

Just used your guide to replace my H7 bulbs for the dipped beams tonight, while parked outside my parent's house. Can't wait to drive home to test them out :-) I also went for the Halford's Super Brilliance on 2 for 1 so £20 for hopefully a much improved lighting over the OEMs.

Thanks again for taking the time and effort to make an easy to follow guide.

• 2 months later...

Just want to say thanks for this guide, really was a big help as i had to replace an H7 bulb today, I also went for the Halford's Super Brilliance on 2 for 1. All i need now is some darkness for testing

Replaced the dip bulbs only with Philips extreme +80%, managed this fairly straight forward without removing headlamp. If headlamp is removed its recommended to get beam alignment checked afterwards.:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Phillips Extreme +80% H7 installed this afternoon. Got them for £19 off fleabay!

Was very straightforward thanks to the pics.

Anyone know which hex nut does what for re-aligning?