Flashing glow plug warning light - Should I worry?

Hello,

The glow plug light on my dash has started to flash on and off while I'm driving. Does anyone know what this means?

The car (a fabia SDI) still starts alright and runs ok so I assume they don't need changing.

I'm about to make a long trip and a bit worried it could be serious.

I'd be very grateful for any advice

Thanks

Brake lights will be on constantly mate. You will need a new switch.

Use 1J0945511D up to chassis no 6Y-3-725552 or 3B0945511D if a later chassis no. Part no. changes again in 06 model year. Best get your dealer to check for you. :thumbup:

Well, it's flashing for a reason so you really should get it checked out.

It should have thrown up a fault code so I'd go to the dealers and get the code read if it's not the bulb/ brake switch. :)

• 2 months later...

The Glow plug light started flashing on the way home tonight. I assume its the brake switch as non of the rear brake bulbs have blown.

Is it a problem to drive the car for a couple of hundred miles until the dealer can change the switch.

Thanks

Matt

• 1 year later...

Same thing has happened to me, On the weekend the flashing symbol popped up on the dash and only by finding this thread I worked out what it was, So a BIG thanks! saved me a few quid by avoiding booking it in at the stealers.

i would hope he has done something about it by now in the 17 months gone by!!!!! :rofl:

Blimey, Never looked at the Original Post date, Just the last !!!:rofl:

Unless of course he likes his rear rodgered !!!:D

Dean

This happened to mine after braking hard stopped doing it after a while and not at all now ,my coolant level light comes on also when its proper cold in the morning but run the car for 5 mins turn off and re-start it goes away ,this along with the washer fluid level and fuel level warnings is just another f'#$king beep

This happened to mine after braking hard stopped doing it after a while and not at all now ,my coolant level light comes on also when its proper cold in the morning but run the car for 5 mins turn off and re-start it goes away ,this along with the washer fluid level and fuel level warnings is just another f'#$king beep

Exactly the same as me. coil light came on, blinked for a journey and then disappeared.

The cold start 'coolant' light comes on minetoo. Bloody loud and annoying @ 5:30am...

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
It could be either the brake light bulb or the switch that causes this fault. Brake switch failure is quite common and there is an updated (purple) switch part number 1J0 945 511 F which supercedes 1J0 945 511 D see:

Fabia-vrs.com - Brake Pedal Switches :thumbup:

My Fabia Elegance 1.9Tdi had this flashing glow plug light problem intermittantly. The new switch for mine was a genuine part heavily modified but not in the purple colour as indicated above. Do not worry if it is not purple as it should still cure the fault. I dismantled the old switch to find that there had been an amount of arching between the points of the switch casuing pitting to the electrodes.

My Fabia Elegance 1.9Tdi had this flashing glow plug light problem intermittantly. The new switch for mine was a genuine part heavily modified but not in the purple colour as indicated above. Do not worry if it is not purple as it should still cure the fault. I dismantled the old switch to find that there had been an amount of arching between the points of the switch casuing pitting to the electrodes.

Out of interest, what is the current colour and p/n for this switch (I had to change mine a few years ago - think I ended up with a purple one).