Progress Skoda - Letchworth

Interesting one. Failed shock absorber could have overloaded the bearing which failed in turn. It doesn't happen often at all but if a bearing was on the verge of being sub-standard from the factory the failed shock might have pushed it over the edge. It might be some rough patch of road to always drive through which added to the untimely demise of the bearing.

It looks like you were just unlucky and the dealer did the work in a timely manner.

On the other hand they might have screwed something up while replacing the shock absorber but I frankly cannot imagine what that could be as it is a very basic repair and bearings are not touched really...

• 11 months later...

I have been using Progress in Letchworth pretty much since they opened. Over the years, the quality of service workshop went up and I value it high, especially against the background of my previous experiences of a Cambridge dealership messing up my Octavia's timing belt replacement job and then not owning up to it.  However, owing to dealership expansion, in my experience the quality of front desk service reception staff can vary lately, so if you feel that you do not get the service you deserve best to talk to either service manager or just another service desk person.

My wife's Roomster has had quite a few problems on account of receiving a duff engine from the factory. The dealership resolved them well, though admittedly it took 6 weeks on account of SUK being slow in authorizing repairs. But in the end, given a successful complete engine block replacement job with only minor corrections afterwards, the dealership workshop is good enough to use it on a regular basis. I generally DIY service my cars, but would not hesitate to service them at Progress in Letchworth if the need arose.

Sales wise, the person we bought the new Roomster from was very good, accommodated our additional needs (skid plate, alloy spare with same tyre as the rest on the car), and in the end he made the whole process quite smooth.  Once my Mk1 Superb reaches end of life, I will quite happily order from Progress again, provided the price I can get is within 5% of the Continental Europe prices for same specification (currently e.g. Rapid is up to 20% overpriced in the UK, especially in high level trims/options, but that's SUK policy, not the dealership's).

Edited by dieselV6

• 5 months later...

Collected my VRS here from Tim in August after ordering in December last year.  He and Wayne were brilliant and chased Skoda UK for us on numerous occasions due to the delay, excellent customer service throughout. 

Returned this month to replace my wifes fabia with a rapid spaceback, and again fantastic service from Tim!  Will definately return again in the future.

• 2 months later...

Just picked up my '62 Yeti 1.2 SE from these guys. Awesome service from Tim, helpful, friendly, down to earth. He also gave me an excellent trade-in deal on my old Fabia (twice what another dealer offered), can't recommend highly enough.

• 1 month later...

Hmm thought this place was spot on , brought 2 cars from them in 3years so im a good customer took my fabia in for warrenty work found out they done it wrong and caused alot of damage (which they paid for!) Agreed a compensation deal 5weeks ago still not heard from them , not calling back ect. Dont bother with this lot

Of course, took fabia in for creaking track rod ends fault , covered under warranty .then done the work , a week or so later heard a scraping niose when on full lock , the car was already booked in for its service at lancaster skoda mk , when they were doing the service I got a phone call from them asking if I had any work done recently. I told them that progress skoda letchworth had replaced the track rod ends. They said 'well they have fitted the track rod ends the wrong way and an exposed locknut had been grinding away on the inside of both front wheels'. I got on the phone to progress (letchworth)and explained what had happened . I must say they gave the sayso for lancaster skoda mk to do the repair work very quickly after I said progress wont be doing any work again on my car.to cut I a long story short I got my car back a week later all repaired 2 new font wheeel and some other parts final bill £1200 needless to say I didnt pay a penny and I had a coutersy car thouout

• 4 months later...

Visited them to fix power steering issue. I had the ESP light on and steering had gone heavy.

The first day they did an electric check and something up with the steering g sensor and asked for car to be brought back.

Dropped the car off in morning and by noon they rang to say problem was fixed, they said they updated software and the cost was £175!

Not sure if thats a good deal but unexpected and not covered under warranty.

Did serve me with a smile though.

• 1 month later...

Just ordered our 4th Skoda off of Letchworth and needless to say they were fantastic as usual. The best dealer I have been to, the general attitude of all the sales staff is excellent and you never feel like you're being a burden which seems to so often be the case in car dealers nowadays.

• 1 month later...

Just bought my second Skoda from Progress Letchworth, and generally pleased with the service I've come to expect of them. When I mentioned I could go cheaper via Carwow they were happy to offer me an improved deal, which obviously I accepted!

• 2 months later...

Our experience has been nothing but top notch with Skoda letchworth, haven't brought a car from them yet but they supported us through some rough times/large repairs done under goodwill and under warranty on our used Yeti we brought from another part of the country.

I wouldn't hesitate in buying a car from using them for any other work in the future.

• 1 year later...

Bought my second Octavia from here a few weeks, must it was pleasant a painless experience, even continued with my trade after i had a slight prang in my first Octavia.

My first was a 2007 satin grey 2.0 PD TDi elegance, bought at lancastor's in milton kynes

My second is a 2010 Black magic pearl 1.8 Tsi L&K.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Very good customer service from this Dealer - a massive improvement over their Bedford outlet!

The Sales and Service teams have always worked with us both during the ordering process and throughout my almost 18 months of owning my S3.  We have experienced a few niggles since new and all have been sorted quickly, even when a failed DCC within a week of delivery meant their Sales Manager giving up his car for a few days.  No drama, just sorted.

Overall I recommend this Dealership for a friendly, 'can do' attitude with customers.

• 7 months later...

This is the promise on the Progress Letchworth website:-

“Understandably, a lot of people are a little nervy when buying a used car. Here at Progress ŠKODA we are an APPROVED ŠKODA retailer, so this is sure to take the uncertainty out of buying a used ŠKODA. We offer a whole host of checks, warranties and the like, so you don’t have to worry about anything but choosing the right car for you.”

We arranged to see a 2015 Skoda Fabia advertised as having done 12,456 miles. Having test driven the car, a close inspection showed excessive wear of the front tyres, one of which had a 3 inch crack in the tread and was therefore illegal and dangerous.

Suspicious that the car had done more than the stated mileage, we obtained an RAC car passport check showing it recorded as having done 20,124 miles 3 weeks previously! An Audi spec check revealed that it was recorded as having done 14,707 miles 18 months previously!

As it was reasonable to assume the vehicle had been “clocked”,we wrote to the Managing Director of the Progress group, pointing out the above information. We had a reply from his PA saying they take these matters “very seriously”. However, all the PA did was to forward to us correspondence from the sales personnel concerned.

In this, they made claims of having made errors on two separate occasions when entering information onto the databases. They maintained that the true mileage was the 12,456 miles advertised.

To support this, they forwarded questionable copies of records including one supposedly indicating that in the 8 months from first registration the car had completed just 16 miles!

We wrote back to Mr. Byrne challenging this information, but, from either Mr. Byrne or his PA, answer came there NONE.

Contrary to their website claim, clearly there is plenty of uncertainty when buying a used ŠKODA from this APPROVED ŠKODA retailer. They say they offer a whole host of checks, warranties and the like. But don’t be fooled. There is far more to worry about than just “choosing the right car for you”!

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I took my “new” Yeti to this dealer last week to get a new AC compressor fitted under warranty and also have Smartlink activated. They were very friendly and accomodating and lent me a courtesy car for a couple of days. Very happy with the service - Jordan in the service dept was a top bloke. 

• 2 months later...