16 important OIL questions answered!

oilman

• Sponsor

You can use it but it must be changed on a regular basis, fixed service schedule so every 8-10,000 miles.

If you are on longlife then you will need to stick to the correct VW longlife spec. Something like VW504.00

Cheers

Guy.

Approx every 13_000 to 16_000 km. For these purposes;_

km = miles * 8 / 5 and miles = km * 5 / 8 or:-

km = miles / 0.625 and miles = km * 0.625 if you have a calculator (the one in Start -> Programs -> Accessories on a Windows box is good enough).

• 11 months later...

i was advice to use ATF on my Manual Gear box (felicia GLX 1.3) and have a lot of doubts about it, but my problem is that i cant find the requierd oil (75Wxx) ony thing i can get is 140 diferential oil or 80 monograde "transmision oil" dou i think the last if for trucks transmissions instead of cars

so can i use ATF on my manual Gear box? or should i go with the 80 monograde oil?

• Sponsor
i was advice to use ATF on my Manual Gear box (felicia GLX 1.3) and have a lot of doubts about it, but my problem is that i cant find the requierd oil (75Wxx) ony thing i can get is 140 diferential oil or 80 monograde "transmision oil" dou i think the last if for trucks transmissions instead of cars

so can i use ATF on my manual Gear box? or should i go with the 80 monograde oil?

You could givve the ATF ago, its not uncommon for people to use it manual gearboxes, some even sepcify it.

Just remember it wont last as long as gear oil so will need regular changes.

Cheers

Guy

You could givve the ATF ago, its not uncommon for people to use it manual gearboxes, some even sepcify it.

Just remember it wont last as long as gear oil so will need regular changes.

Cheers

Guy

thanks oilman for the quick responce, sorry to bother you more but i have a couple more question to really clarify things and make my dessicion...

What about the monograde 80 oil, they way it flows it doesnt seem to fit the trans oil you described (relative same viscocity as motor oil diferent formula and grade number) since is much thicker, it runs like hot molases (run being use as the term, but it certainly does not)

also i've heard of using standart engine oil on transmissions, i've read about it being specified by some pontiacs and others, but my concernes i i drive a Skoda 135 engine an a skoda transmission.

so witch is my best bet oilman? 15W40 motor oil, ATF, or the monograde 80 transmission and diferential grease.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't use engine lube in a gearbox unless the box was designed for it. Normally a gear lube will say something like SAE80EP (if monograde). The EP stands for "Extreme Pressure" and gear lube is expected to stand being crushed between gear teeth in a way that engine lube isn't. Conversely, engine lube has to stand higher running temperatures, and much higher sheer forces in crankshaft main and big end bearings.

• 2 months later...

My oil concerns, checking my oil, have had the car just over 3 weeks, when cold (left overnight), it is half way between the min & max lines, being new to me, I want to know if it is using oil or not, so I asked the dealership if this was a normal reading, or should I top up? The car is an 06, 2.0TFSI. The dealership said they use Shell Helex 5W30, I got the car from them, but they didn't offer to top it up!! They just said if they were me they would top it up slightly!! I normally in previous cars, (last one being a 99 MK1 octy 1.6GLXi), like to keep my oil on the max line, but I am new to the VRS, & wondered if half way between the lines is normal.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Many thanks, Guy, for taking time to write this up.

Although,... how do you get to work out whether a commercial oil is shear restistant. I mean, what part on a label expresses this?

Assume a 1.8T engine, 10k miles a year, consisting of 15 minutes drive to the train station, twice a day and then the odd weekend away. Reading your article, it seems important the engine reaches optimal temperature. I would hope the sunp reaches 95 degrees C after 10 minutes, what do you think?

If I understand it correctly this IS the pattern that will degrade the oil rapidly and hence high shear stability and relatively low viscocity is needed.

So to find the right viscocity, I would normally look in Halfords for a 10W40, but what about the shear stability? How do I get to make an informed decision. ( not mentioning I have absolutely no idea what my dealer throws in it)

All the best

Edited by G-slave

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Oilman, I am coming over from an RX8 and have used you guys to buy oil.

Can you confirm what the best oil for the new Fabia VRS 180bhp 1.4 TSI DSG engine ?

Confused on your site as it does not list this model ?

Also used Fuchs Titan XTR on the RX8 - do fuchs to an oil suitable for the VRS above, thought the brand and your pricing excellent.

Please advise.

Thanks

Paul

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item45f8d4183d

this a good price for vw504/507 oil, which is all you need for the new vRS

i refer you to point 5 in the original post. Nowhere on here do i actually see the words approved/certified to or anything else that gives me confidence in the product.

I could be completely wrong, and it could just be a repackaged product from a reputable supplier (such as say Fuchs at Hanley) but i would be looking for a little more information than just a statement on an Ebay ad.

appreciate the price is attractive, and generally when buying in larger quantities and bigger pack sizes you do get economies of scale, but i would not put it in my engine.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Sponsor

Hi folks,

With winter here and plenty of cold starts, perhaps it's time to consider changing the oil that you use in your car.

Does your antifreeze need changing?

Is your gearshift okay when cold?

Do you need something to protect your car from the weather?

Let us know if you need any advice, we are here to help. You can call us on 01209 202944, email us at [email protected], or just ask here.

Cheers

oilman