maxi dot/trip

tofo

Maxi-dot is basically the VW highline trip computer. Is a dot matrix unit that displays more vehicle detail in a nicer format, not just a trip computer. It allows you to change some minor vehicle settings that you'd normally need the dealer to do (on my Golf I can adjust settings for the auto door locking, opening and convenience closure for the windows - I gather its a bit more limited on the Fabia).

It also provides text warning messages associated to warning lights that appear on the dash i.e when fuel or oil are low or a bulb is blown. It also gives you a visual door/boot/bonnet display if any of these are open and also shows you Audio information. If you have Sat Nav or Bluetooth output from these options (turn signals, phonebook entries and options) can also be displayed.

If you are using an MP3 disc or MEDIA-in, so long as the track has CD Text info on it the Artist, Track and Album information is displayed on this separate screen. Also when you have a warning light appear it tells you in detail what the problem is.

It's really good, BTW its standard on an Elegance spec car.

Edited by pipsyp

Maxi-dot is basically the VW highline trip computer. Is a dot matrix unit that displays more vehicle detail in a nicer format, not just a trip computer. It allows you to change some minor vehicle settings that you'd normally need the dealer to do (on my Golf I can adjust settings for the auto door locking, opening and convenience closure for the windows - I gather its a bit more limited on the Fabia).

It also provides text warning messages associated to warning lights that appear on the dash i.e when fuel or oil are low or a bulb is blown. It also gives you a visual door/boot/bonnet display if any of these are open and also shows you Audio information. If you have Sat Nav or Bluetooth output from these options (turn signals, phonebook entries and options) can also be displayed.

If you are using an MP3 disc or MEDIA-in, so long as the track has CD Text info on it the Artist, Track and Album information is displayed on this separate screen. Also when you have a warning light appear it tells you in detail what the problem is.

It's really good, BTW its standard on an Elegance spec car.

Hey mate, I agree the Maxidot is brilliant.

However, you mentioned it shows track / name / artist etc.

I have never noticed this when using a CD / Hard Drive / iPod through the MDI player at all. Something wrong with my setup?

Edited by Stu vRS

It is worth noting that if you specify maxidot you get a much nicer looking dash. For example you get 'proper' dials for fuel and engine temperature. For cars below the Elegance spec you only get as standard a warning light for engine temperature and a little LCD display for fuel. The maxidot also displays outside temperature and car mileage permanently - you don't have to step through the memory to get that info. Worth it for these conveniences alone!

Maxidot is well worth the upgrade.

Had a few cars with computers but this is the most 'functional' of all of them. Glad it was included on the vRS as standard but if it had have been an option would have paid for it.

Hey mate, I agree the Maxidot is brilliant.

However, you mentioned it shows track / name / artist etc.

I have never noticed this when using a CD / Hard Drive / iPod through the MDI player at all. Something wrong with my setup?

Hi Stu,

On my Golf when i flip it over to the audio screen I get Artist, Track and Album details show up on the computer, so long as they are attached to the file you are playing, this is on both CD and MDI. I'd assume given that the Swing stereo is basically a redesigned RCD 310 is should do the same mate. Have a play around and let me know.

Paul

It is worth noting that if you specify maxidot you get a much nicer looking dash. For example you get 'proper' dials for fuel and engine temperature. For cars below the Elegance spec you only get as standard a warning light for engine temperature and a little LCD display for fuel. The maxidot also displays outside temperature and car mileage permanently - you don't have to step through the memory to get that info. Worth it for these conveniences alone!

Point well made rkenny. With this option you do get a nicer dash with the fuel and water temp dials. Normally you get a digital fuel gauge on the lower end computer and a little blue light to tell you when the car is cold, it goes out once the water temp is up to normal levels.

anyone tell me differance

between maxi dot and trip computer

and is it worth the upgrade at £140 quid +

ta muchly

Yes.

If it had been an option on my Fabia I would have gone for it.

We have it in our Yeti and it's noticably better looking and gives you more info.

Hi Stu,

On my Golf when i flip it over to the audio screen I get Artist, Track and Album details show up on the computer, so long as they are attached to the file you are playing, this is on both CD and MDI. I'd assume given that the Swing stereo is basically a redesigned RCD 310 is should do the same mate. Have a play around and let me know.

Paul

Done it mate, thanks a lot!

I didn't even know the Audio screen existed!

Anyone wondering how to do it, press and hold the trip computer button as if you were accessing the MFD menu, there is an audio option in there when the stereo is on!

Thanks again.

well i have asked for it to be included on the car

dealer says wont alter delivery date hopefully

still week 21 let you know on that one

Done it mate, thanks a lot!

I didn't even know the Audio screen existed!

Anyone wondering how to do it, press and hold the trip computer button as if you were accessing the MFD menu, there is an audio option in there when the stereo is on!

Thanks again.

Hi Stu,

Not a problem mate, nice little feature of the Maxidot :)