Drums to discs on s110l

easypeasy

Cheers Ken.I just bought the car recently and thought updating the brakes would be a good improvement. As I'm wanting to run it as more than the odd day out car, I'm looking to make any improvements . It has tuned engine from 130, but not racing car spec!

I race my Estelle and still have the drums fitted...I also have a 129bhp race engine and significantly less weight than standard. The brakes on my car were described by a test driver on a magazine shoot as amongst the best he had tried. I do have 4 pots from a Rapid/130 fitted but in reality the set ups fierce braking is based on - braided hoses, black diamond drilled and grooved discs, uprated rear shoes (from Speedpro CZ) and Ferodo DS2500 pads. You can buy all of those items for the 2 pot brake set up still  - you cant get the black diamond discs for 4 pots anymore....but the 4 pots are not that much better than the 2 pots anyway......they have 4 small pots and the brake discs are smaller anyway.

The DS 2500 pads are the most expensive item at about £150 but by god they are awesome. You won't need anything else if you have a healthy braking system with a good master cylinder fitted, clean dot 4 fluid and good lines - and the list of bolt on stuff above. You will go through the screen if you stamp on the brakes too hard!

• Like 1

This got me to thinking, and I Googled wendy wools special saloons championship and I actually found some all disc braked "S110s". Of course, they were also fibreglas bodied, all-round wishbones, mid-engined, and the least powerful of them had a Cosworth BDG in it. Incidentally, I also discovered that Wendy Wools still exists. :D

Depends on how fast you want to go! I've outlined your brake upgrade needs already - engine wise its just standard stuff for any old 4 cylinder  - head work, exhaust, carb, cam....but the S series has a small capacity and also the issue of the radiator being in the back so big power isn't possible with that set up. Suspension wise you can get lowering springs and Gaz/Spax/Avo shocks still - they will be listed as Estelle but they fit....although not springs from a 130/Rapid as those models had a semi trailling rear set up with different springs (but not shocks). How big is your budget and how much do you want to spend! I have spent over £10k of my original £3k budget now :notme:  :p

Just to give you an idea of how the car is now. ( I'd imagine you seen it on eBay) it's had fitted a s110r engine 28000 miles from new

clock showing 29000 miles

new breaks all round pipes,shoes,flexi,cylinders everything

new shocks all round

the car has a banana manifold and webber 40dcoe fitted(orignal supplied)

new stainless exhaust fitted made to the orignal 70's spec rally car(not straight through)

I'm thinking more a 1500-2000 budget on upgrades. The brakes aren't giving me huge confidence so I'll be getting them looked at first. Cheers

Yes, I know the car and have sat it in. Depends on how original you want to keep it really.....in terms of getting more power you could add a cam, have some porting/gas flowing  work done on the head and get the dizzy overhauled and uprated - set of lowering springs.....probably about the budget blown when you factor in the brake upgrades. Of course cc's are always going to add more power and you could get a 130 engine and add the big piston/lner conversion to take it out to 1340cc....ditch the dizzy for wasted spark igntion. One of the big limitations of the car is the fact the radiator does sit next to the engine which makes changing to a later 8 port engine running bike carbs or twin 40s nigh on impossible. The s series also has a steering box as opposed to a rack which limits the handling abilities a bit - especially one thats nearly 40 years old (although Boroskoda has a brand new on for sale...which might be worth looking at).

I can't remember - is the exhaust a full system including manifold? If not then get a manifold made.....it will make a big difference.

They were only Skoda shaped cars.....and I have no idea what or who Wendy wool is!

Incidentally there are rear disc conversions available in CZ but they are competition only ones that covert the rears to a set of front discs and calipers with no handbrake facility.

I know that; clue in the BDG (it was a silouette S110R over a Formula 2 car).

Wendy Wools make and sell knitting wool, so how they came to sponsor a British Special Saloons championship for about 20 years is utterly beyond me!

Appreciate the comments guys. First Skoda. I have notions of it as a track car, so just looking for any sensible upgrades. Thanks again

I don't know when I'll be down next but my Mum lives in Dumbarton, so if you want someone else to hae a look sometime, make some more posts so you can use personal messages, then PM me an e-mail and/or a cell number.

I'd agree hawkeracing's brake upgrade path, starting with braided flexies and new fluid. Then new discs and uprated pads.

• Like 1