a bit confused buying VCDS

malcster

have a few quids lying around and would like to buy a VCDS but a bit confused on what im getting 

i read on the rosstech site that the basic (non lite ) is only for 10 vins and it looked like i have to buy the lead seperate 

i looked on the ilexa site and found this 

http://www.ilexa.co.uk/acatalog/vagcom.html#a33

it state unlimited vins is this the full version???

will i be able to program with this unit ?

i know it seems like a lot of money and i wont get a loads of use out it but my brother has just bought a TT money pit and i suspect plugging it in to his car regulary should save him a few quid 

plus i would like to help other members on here 

on i side note on the citigo forum there is a list of what can be programmed 

is there a list for all models anywhere i have a 2015 roomster and wondered what can be activated 

The fancy new wireless version will come in two versions, one with unlimited vins and a cheaper version limited to 10. The cable version is unlimited.

Assuming you have a laptop then the hex+can version will work on pretty much all cars. Micro can is the cheaper cable but won't work on older non can cars.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

The one I'm thinking of is the first one on the link £270

Is that one OK then ??

Sorry don't want to order the wrong one and have to buy something else to make make it work

Cool thanks

Last two questions promise

That version is OK for coding and clearing codes etc full function

Do I need to pm anyone to add me to the owners map

Thank you again

I had been wondering about getting the wireless version, but decided the cost of the unlimited VIN version was a bit too high, plus it's not yet directly available in the UK. I bought the cable version from Ilexa - very prompt service and another avenue for support (you get Ross Tech support once you register with them).

Gizmo has just tidied up the threads and added the last batch of names to the list & map, so you should catch the next update.

Just bought the Ross-Tech HEX+CAN USB because I had an airbag fault.  Fixed it with VCDS aid.  Voila. - cost saved in one go.  And I got rid of the annoying "Service now" DONG message.  Result!

Just bought the Ross-Tech HEX+CAN USB because I had an airbag fault.  Fixed it with VCDS aid.  Voila. - cost saved in one go.  And I got rid of the annoying "Service now" DONG message.  Result!

The full version of Ross-Tech will pay for itself eventually.  I think mine repaid its £270 odd outlay within a matter of months with its usefulness for me, but I also use it for others as want to share its ability in the local area and with other members.

• Like 1

The full version of Ross-Tech will pay for itself eventually. I think mine repaid its £270 odd outlay within a matter of months with its usefulness for me, but I also use it for others as want to share its ability in the local area and with other members.

^ wot he said.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Mine more than repaid its cost within days of getting it and has been invaluable in the 11 years I have had it. Its capability has also been considerably enhanced by Ross-Tech over those years by the frequent (free) updates.

Changed the coding on the Furby already with mine to enable unlocking all the doors, auto locking and so on. Or local Skoda dealer couldn't even manage that on the previous car (Roomy) using the official VAS tool. Will be using it on the Superb soon too. It will pay it's £270 back very quickly.

• 2 months later...

Been following this since it started but also just bit the bullet and ordered one.

How are you getting on with yours malcster??

well its been good 

had a tinker with the roomster and programmed a few features in 

scanned a few cars for friends and tracked a few issues down 

recently used it to scan before buying the wife a golf convertible 

no had anyone from the board asking for pluggins yet 

would i buy one agan???

yes i would just for the piece of mind that i can plug in nearly any vag car and have a look at the dtcs and programme features in 

just wish rosstech would release a full version which includes other marks or discount other software for registered users 

• Like 1

I've never found a vw group car that vcds won't read.

as for a "full" multi brand version i don't believe it will ever come about. A multiplexed interface will end up costing £1000+ and people already complain about the more than fair price Ross tech charge. It would take them a long time to carry out the R&D for such a product and there's no market for it in the US as their car sales content is very different to that in Europe.

I've never found a vw group car that vcds won't read.

as for a "full" multi brand version i don't believe it will ever come about. A multiplexed interface will end up costing £1000+ and people already complain about the more than fair price Ross tech charge. It would take them a long time to carry out the R&D for such a product and there's no market for it in the US as their car sales content is very different to that in Europe.

my bad i though ross tech also did similar thing for say ford and opel/gm etc

You can but various leads for various brands but they'll all be from different sources, for instance:

vw group - Ross tech vcds £270

bmw - bavaria technik £780

Mercedes - carsoft £250 (1998-2005)

vauxhall - vaux com £770

porsche - durametric £840

but to name a few and as you can see, for the price and coverage - you wont find a better piece of kit.

• Like 1

my bad i though ross tech also did similar thing for say ford and opel/gm etc

Ross Tech have had to reverse engineer everything for VAG, think of the time and effort required to do the same for other manufacturers.

A friend who owns a garage bought a diagnostics system which will pretty much do everything on any car, including immobiliser work.  But it cost something like £10k and then there is the ongoing subscription for the updates on top of that.