Boot mounted bike rack that allows boot to be opened?

I am trying to identify a bike rack that has some very specific criteria... 

- Must be boot mounted

- Must allow the boot to be opened with the rack fitted

- Must not sit against the top of the rear bumper. 

I need it to carry two childrens bikes when we go away. Adult bikes are on the roof along with the roof box. The challenge in this is that we have a dog so I need to be able to let her out of the boot. 

The Saris bones appears to sit against the top of the bumper so would prevent the boot lid from opening. Can anyone help with suggestions please? 

(I know I should have specced a towbar, it's a lease Yeti so it's not an option for me to add one either.)

Thanks

I don't know anything about the bike rack but to get our dog in and out of our yeti we simply fold one of the seats up and the dog jumps in through the passenger door.  hope that gives you less restrictions with the bike rack .

Edited by speedy2

2 minutes ago, speedy2 said:

I don't know anything about the bike rack but to get our dog in and out of our yeti we simply fold one of the seats up and the dog jumps in through the passenger door.  hope that gives you less restrictions with the bike rack .

That would be fine... except for the isofix kids seats! 

Really rather annoyed I didn't spec the towbar! 

No worries, thanks anyway. 

I've seen several high mount carries that just sit against the tail gate and then use straps to secure it. They are cheap enough that it's worth a try. 

It's a shame the Thule Clipon racks don't fit as they look ideal. 

If its on the tailgate it probably wont open easily and at best will have to be held up as the struts wont have enough lift?

If it obscures the lights or numberplate you will need a trailerboard to be legal, with all the issues of connecting to the electrics.

22 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

If its on the tailgate it probably wont open easily and at best will have to be held up as the struts wont have enough lift?

If it obscures the lights or numberplate you will need a trailerboard to be legal, with all the issues of connecting to the electrics.

The Police seem to picking this up more and more (thankfully). Getting to the stage where it is best to get a towbar and electrics fitted anyway.

I put a detachable tow bar on my leased yeti, the lease company said if it doesn't show they weren't worried about it, the only downside was the cost but the tow bar mount bike rack worked brilliantly 

Towbar is not an option. The Yeti was bought to do a job and to be as cheap as possible. Equally light board will be avoided at all costs. This needs to carry two 16" wheel bikes, they are tiny and if I can find a high mount rack it will not be an issue. 

@Colin, thanks I'll look up the Fiamma range.

3 hours ago, g6zru said:

Sorry to have to say this but it seems to me that you have bought the wrong car for you.

Fred

I'm beginning to agree. For the day to day it's fine. Wife, kids, dog it does that fine. For the job of being loaded up with all of us to go away, it's just too small. 

Thankfully it's a lease so I only need to put up with it for a while. Im on the verge of giving to my parents for two years and buying something else! 

I have used bike racks similar to this on a Yeti, & resting on the bumper but just do not put much weight on it, 

not usually set the arms as high as this, but here it is just for carrying frames.

Here the weight is shared with the top pad, and the top straps have bobbins that are tight when the hatch is closed.

DSCN1517.JPG

DSCN1525.JPG

Edited by Awayoffski

19 hours ago, 5678 said:

I'm beginning to agree. For the day to day it's fine. Wife, kids, dog it does that fine. For the job of being loaded up with all of us to go away, it's just too small. 

Thankfully it's a lease so I only need to put up with it for a while. Im on the verge of giving to my parents for two years and buying something else! 

Not having a pop, but thought I may be highlighting something you are missing.

If you can afford to give a lease vehicle to someone else (whilst still making the payments) and will either lease or buy a replacement, then surely it stands to reason that you can afford to have fitted a Skoda approved aftermarket tow bar?  And worst case scenario, the tow bar requires a segment of bumper removed, then when it comes to handing it back, you just pay for a replacement bumper to be fitted?

38 minutes ago, Fin69 said:

Not having a pop, but thought I may be highlighting something you are missing.

If you can afford to give a lease vehicle to someone else (whilst still making the payments) and will either lease or buy a replacement, then surely it stands to reason that you can afford to have fitted a Skoda approved aftermarket tow bar?  And worst case scenario, the tow bar requires a segment of bumper removed, then when it comes to handing it back, you just pay for a replacement bumper to be fitted?

Very valid point and yes, I could do that if I wanted. We're away for a week shortly so I'll see how it goes. I can decide properly then. 

I offered to get something like a F10 5 series Touring, but despite my dislike, my wife quite likes the Yeti!

On 3/29/2017 at 15:01, Fin69 said:

And worst case scenario, the tow bar requires a segment of bumper removed, then when it comes to handing it back, you just pay for a replacement bumper to be fitted?

Or, if you fit the removable towbar,just leave the blanking plate in place.

Fred