Skoda Estelle rapid 136 engine mounts

Hello I was just wondering if anyone knows about Skoda Estelle engine mounts When accelerating the whole engine clanks about can anyone help me with this thanks in advance Matt 

• 2 months later...

Did you sort this? Sometimes 136 mounts are replaced with standard Estelle ones which make the engine bounce about. Original 136 mounts were fibre reinforced to stop bounce over bumps (due to the lighter engine) , but despite trying many times I was never able to get any 136 mounts and that was years ago. I ended up getting some out of a scrap Rapid 136 that was hardly used and all was good.

You can tell the 136 mounts from other types as they have small bits mixed in with the rubber visible from the outside.

10 hours ago, Mr105LUX said:

Did you sort this? Sometimes 136 mounts are replaced with standard Estelle ones which make the engine bounce about. Original 136 mounts were fibre reinforced to stop bounce over bumps (due to the lighter engine) , but despite trying many times I was never able to get any 136 mounts and that was years ago. I ended up getting some out of a scrap Rapid 136 that was hardly used and all was good.

You can tell the 136 mounts from other types as they have small bits mixed in with the rubber visible from the outside.

You can get 2 grades of engine mount new still now although the harder ones are sold as performance mounts these days....I have never heard that 136 Rapids had different mounts....the engine being lighter would make it move around less?!? 

12 hours ago, petergarforth said:

You can get 2 grades of engine mount new still now although the harder ones are sold as performance mounts these days....I have never heard that 136 Rapids had different mounts....the engine being lighter would make it move around less?!? 

Hi Peter,

I deduced that there were 3 grades; standard black plain rubber as used in 105/120/130, (nylon?) fibre reinforced rubber as used in 136 and the black and white hard sport mounts. The 136 ones were never easily available as a spare part so people just fitted 130 ones (or the sport mounts). However the 136 ones were not stiffer / harder, just that the fibre reduced engine bounce over bumps (resonance). Trying the two back to back the difference was clear. most 136's are on 130 mounts now though so none of the original ones left to compare to.

I fitted 130 mounts to my 136 when the originals started to split but it felt like the engine was bouncing too much and was spoiling the ride (it annoyed me). I picked up some used 136 mounts from someone who was breaking a mint 136 (head gasket problem) and problem fixed. never thought any more about it. I asked an ex-Skoda engineer about if the mounts were different between 130 and 136 and he just said 'of course'. Does anyone have a 136 Rapid parts list? Check the part number there. I tried the sport mounts. I lasted one day before getting them out and putting standard back in.

Edited by Tailhappy

I have checked and there was no specific 136 engine mount. Apparently there was an alternative to genuine Skoda mounts that look as you describe but they were not 136 specific. As i said before there are 2 grades available but in all honesty new standard mounts work well on any engine in normal use as long as they are in good nick - and very importantly so it the gearbox mount which controls a lot it the movement as well. 

Fair enough. May just have been other issues at play and a misunderstanding from the bloke I spoke with.

How easy it it to change gearbox mounts on a Rapid / 130? Lots or work involved? They seem buried out of site and hard to access but they probably all need changing by now. May be the cause of the strange 'bouncing gear lever' issue in my 130 LSE.

15 minutes ago, petergarforth said:

You can change the gearbox mount in situ - it looks harder than it is

Good to know. Just ordered a couple. Is it jacking up the gearbox a bit and levering them out? I'll have a look at the Haynes this evening as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2018 at 22:11, petergarforth said:

Yes....thats pretty much it....it's only held in by a metal plate and some M10 bolts

Mount arrived and I did it yesterday. No problems at all - its an easy job.