Coolant Light Flashing

xa0sx

Got home last night after a gentle drive, parked up and went to bed... Came out at 11am this morning and the light started flashing and beeped 3 times. I checked the coolant level, it's perfect, red in colour and not frozen from where I can see. Oil level is fine, never had a problem before.

Any ideas what I can do? Skoda want me to get it recovered to them for them to diagnose the problem but it's gunna be £60+ before they even look at it... I'm meant to be collecting my new wheels tonight which is 220+ miles away. :(

Mine did the same apparently this is a known issue just top it up with some anti freeze, problem should disappear :)

It's already in-between MIN and MAX though and very red in colour so surely that is fine?

If a top-up hasn't fixed it, you can try cleaning the crap off the level sensor prongs. If that doesn't work, or you can't get at them (some have a sort of weir thing inside) you will need a new tank - about 12 quid. You can short the sensor temporarily if you are confident you have no leaks and check the coolant level regularly by eye - BUT THIS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

HTH :)

If a top-up hasn't fixed it, you can try cleaning the crap off the level sensor prongs. If that doesn't work, or you can't get at them (some have a sort of weir thing inside) you will need a new tank - about 12 quid. You can short the sensor temporarily if you are confident you have no leaks and check the coolant level regularly by eye - BUT THIS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

HTH :)

It's got a weird plastic thing inside so I can't get to it. :( Do you think it will be OK to drive until I can change the tank?

Can't get the the prongs on the vRS header tank, or at lease you couldn't on mine.. but it does sound like your level sensor bars have crudded up.

Mine was doing this and a new header tank sorted it.. it's quite common.. I was getting it in the mornings so stone cold coolant and well above minimum level.

It's got a weird plastic thing inside so I can't get to it. :( Do you think it will be OK to drive until I can change the tank?

The flashing light and beeps can mean two things - low coolant level or engine overheating. If you check the coolant level before you start the engine, and it comes on immediately / very soon after, then it must be a spurious alarm since there's no way the engine can have overheated in that time.

In short, yes it will be fine to drive - just keep an eye on the temperature gauge as you're driving, and check the level in the tank by eye on a regular basis until you get it fixed. :thumbup:

Mine's done it the last 2 mornings since it got proper chilly. It's bloody annoying but thanks to this site I know it's not a major fault. I let it run for 1 minute, switch off and back on and it goes away. Mine has the weir thingy inside so no chance to get to the prongs it seems. Had a look to see how much of a job it would be to change the tank - looks a bloody nightmare!!!

I know there's a write up or 2 on here - anyone got a pic by pic "how to"?

It sounds like, the coolant level sensor is playing up, as suggested above. Mine did the same when I got the car, the expansion tank was changed under warranty to fix it.

I don't think there is a 'How-to' on it as I'm sure it's quite easy to do. The procedure is not Haynes manual.

Just remember to re-fill it with the correct pink/purple anti-freeze.

Edited by Jim H

it's simple to change iirc it was the first job I ever did on a car and it took minutes, undo the old one off it's mounts and theres two pipes iirc, just swap like for like and top up the bottle full of water that you have changed or pour the water into the new bottle ( another pair of hands would help with this mind).

HTH