mpg problems with new 1.6 tdi engine

colcalell

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and was just wondering if anyone has the new 1.6 TDi common rail engine and has any problems with mpg. I have a 105 bhp Fabia SE TDi and I am only getting 42 mpg, it has been tested at the dealer and they have said there is no problems with the car.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and was just wondering if anyone has the new 1.6 TDi common rail engine and has any problems with mpg. I have a 105 bhp Fabia SE TDi and I am only getting 42 mpg, it has been tested at the dealer and they have said there is no problems with the car.

Hi

I have the Octavia Estate Elegance 1.6 TDI CR DPF 105 BHP 5G. After 3000 miles I have not achieved more than 42 MPG. Slightly less than the 72 mpg claimed in the brochure.This includes 140 mile trips averaging 50 - 55 mph. I traded in a passat with 160,000 miles which averaged 64 mpg.

Hi

I have the Octavia Estate Elegance 1.6 TDI CR DPF 105 BHP 5G. After 3000 miles I have not achieved more than 42 MPG. Slightly less than the 72 mpg claimed in the brochure.This includes 140 mile trips averaging 50 - 55 mph. I traded in a passat with 160,000 miles which averaged 64 mpg.

Thanks everyone for your help on this. I have spoken to Skoda customer services who have the data supplied by the retailer and they have said there is nothing wrong with the engine. I think the mpg supplied in the brochures for this engine is vastly overstated, and Skoda should be more truthful to the customers.

Your MPG will improve as the engine loosens up, my old Octavia diesel did not get anywhere near the stated figures for the first 15K miles, then it just kept getting better. Also keep an eye on the oil level as the also have a desire to consume the stuff in early life.

Another thing to consider is Winter Diesel, this diesel has a slightly lower cetane rating than regular summer diesel and this also reduces the MPG of your engine.

Your MPG will improve as the engine loosens up, my old Octavia diesel did not get anywhere near the stated figures for the first 15K miles, then it just kept getting better. Also keep an eye on the oil level as the also have a desire to consume the stuff in early life.

Another thing to consider is Winter Diesel, this diesel has a slightly lower cetane rating than regular summer diesel and this also reduces the MPG of your engine.

Thanks for your comment. I also had a Octavia 1.9 TDi 2008 from new and this was doing 55+ mpg straight away and this progressed to 67 mpg after about 2000 miles. I think the old TDi engine knocks spots of the new 1.6 CR engine and I don't know why they bother changing a proven design to something not as good.

I think the old TDi engine knocks spots of the new 1.6 CR engine and I don't know why they bother changing a proven design to something not as good.

Primarily because the Euro V standards require an 80% reduction in diesel particulate emissions, which the TDis simply couldn't manage:

http://www.euractiv.com/en/transport/euro-5-emissions-standards-cars/article-133325

(Scroll about halfway down to see the emissions standards from Euro II to Euro VI)