Gear change assistant

I went to the dealer today & mentioned I cant get the gear change assistant up on my display (usually sits next to the time on my maxidot). The dealer says his 11 plate Petrol vRS has it & his was also built on week 19 too. Mine is a diesel but could it be a petrol only option ?? I'm a tad confussed/frustrated. Can anyone let me know how to get this up on my display ? please please please...

It's not a petrol only thing, I have searched VCDS pretty thoroughly in the past and found no way of activating (or indeed de-activating it).

I assume you have the full MFD / Maxidot?

It's not a petrol only thing, I have searched VCDS pretty thoroughly in the past and found no way of activating (or indeed de-activating it).

I assume you have the full MFD / Maxidot?

I do have the full maxidot & I reckon i've clicked on all the options more than once. I spoke to an engineer at Skoda y'day afternoon & he said I should pop back in later today or tomorrow afternoon & they will hook up the car & see what they can do.

Do you have one in your deisel car out of interest ?

Edited by HWMBO - Mark

Do you have one in your deisel car out of interest ?

Yes my car has it, which is why I looked into turning it off, but couldn't find it anywhere in VCDS,

Yes my car has it, which is why I looked into turning it off, but couldn't find it anywhere in VCDS,

That gives me hope then. I'll let you know when I know more.

Question - Is this only on 11 plate delivered cars, as i picked my CR vRS up between xmas & new year 2010, & didnt realise this function was available ?

Good point Steve, mine is a mid Dec 2010 car - but it is a Superb.

I also test drove another Superb back in May 2010, this also has the display.

I've seen this on a CR TDI 60 plate Superb although I didn't really see the point in it as it seemed to recommend very short shifting which I didn't think would be good for the turbo? Admittedly I didn't see it for very long though.

John

I presume you are talking about the little arrow that appears next to the gear number in the display to tell you when to shift up? My 60 reg elegance has it and yes it does seem to be biased towards short shifting, however if you are accelerating hard it recognizes this and stops telling you to shift up

Yep billyd , these recommended gear changes are always set to change up at soonest moment , mainly for economy,

The DSG i know definately has the gear indicator in the display, as the DSG changes up very quickly, again configured towards economy.

The question here- Is is configurable on the manual 170 CR vRS ?

• 1 month later...

My FL Octy 1.6 TDI elegance with no maxidot July 2010 registered has this gear shift recommendation. I will be upgrading to a maxidot soon and hope the new cluster will have the same function not that it is of any great use.

My FL Octy 1.6 TDI elegance with no maxidot July 2010 registered has this gear shift recommendation. I will be upgrading to a maxidot soon and hope the new cluster will have the same function not that it is of any great use.

I also would like to upgrade to a maxidot. Is yours to be done by dealer or independent garage? Can you give estimate of cost?

I'm actually going into the dealership/garage tomorrow @ 8am to get the engineers to see if it can be activated. They seem quite positive it can be done. I'll tell you more tomorrow afternoon after I get back. I'm sure it will be something i'll be tired of after a few months but I still want it.... :rofl:

I'm actually going into the dealership/garage tomorrow @ 8am to get the engineers to see if it can be activated. They seem quite positive it can be done. I'll tell you more tomorrow afternoon after I get back. I'm sure it will be something i'll be tired of after a few months but I still want it.... :rofl:

best of luck keep us posted :smirk:

I went to the garage y'day & my car cannot have the gear change assistant & they spent an hour looking into the maxidot & using there laptop etc....

Seems i'm without the GCA then. Never mind...... :'(

I went to the garage y'day & my car cannot have the gear change assistant & they spent an hour looking into the maxidot & using there laptop etc....

Seems i'm without the GCA then. Never mind...... :'(

well that sux :'(