Glad I did it!

Sanqhar

Some time ago I bought a true "skinny" spare and fitted it in the Yeti boot with cut down Skoda polystyrene bits (see post 27 in this thread http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/160480-real-full-size-road-wheel-as-spare-wheel-will-it-fit/).

Well...last week guess what? Had an appointment about 3 miles away and a sidewall puncture on a rear tyre. I fitted my 80kph skinny spare, kept my speed down and made the appointment.

No amount of tyre sealant would have fixed it.

I am well pleased. Phoned my local tyre dealer and he ordered two Dunlops to replace both the rear tyres, they had done over 26,000 miles so I wasn't complaining. Next afternoon had them fitted.

I would have had problems without the spare.

To repeat the topic title "Glad I did it!!"

tom

p.s I wanted to fit the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 (would have bought 4) but they don't do it in Yeti size???

Nice that you had a spare, but a "skinny" spare is not Skoda approved so if we're unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident whilst it was fitted, then your insurance would probably not pay out due to a non standard wheel/tyre fitted.

Nice that you had a spare, but a "skinny" spare is not Skoda approved so if we're unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident whilst it was fitted, then your insurance would probably not pay out due to a non standard wheel/tyre fitted.

I think "Skoda Approved" is a red herring. See Post 13 in this thread:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/229423-non-standard-tyres/page__hl__winter%20tyres#entry2696787

...in particular "A car tyre that passes the MOT regulations as described above (plus, obviously, the other regulations about tread depth, damage, etc) is thereby certified to meet the minimum road safety standards required by law in the UK."

I'd be more worried about fitting "Skoda approved" sized tyres on 16" rims that, combined with the fact that speedos read fast anyway, made the speedo read more than 5% fast thus contravening the MoT Construction and Use Regs.

It's a minefield!!

tom

Think you are getting conflicting information, if you turned up for an MOT with a space saver you would fail as the requirement is same size tyre fitted to same axel. Also section 4.1.A.1.b would apply

4.1.A.1.b

Reason for Rejection: "special lightweight or space saving wheels and tyres fitted as road wheels"

And some useful advice from the AA,

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/non-standard-spare-wheels.html

Think you are getting conflicting information, if you turned up for an MOT with a space saver you would fail as the requirement is same size tyre fitted to same axel. Also section 4.1.A.1.b would apply

Surely it would be pretty daft to get an MOT test done with the car running on a temporary skinny wheel+tyre!

http://www.theaa.com...are-wheels.html

Good link. If I recall the spare is a 16" so on a car fitted with 17" tyres this spare will also fail an MOT (if fitted, rather than stored in the boot). This makes the point even more for the skinnier spare tyre - still different, just more different (and more difficult to ignore and leave on the car)...

Edited by Totally Square

4.1.A.1.b

Reason for Rejection: "special lightweight or space saving wheels and tyres fitted as road wheels"

http://www.theaa.com...are-wheels.html

That only applies if the "space saver" is fitted to one of the 4 "working" wheels at the time of the test.

Spare wheels inside the vehicle are not and never have been included.

It was the OP that brought up if a wheel/ tyre passes the MOT its ok subject not me, and as 4.1.A.1.b clearly says " special lightweight or space saving wheels and tyres FITTED as road wheels"

And as the AA quote always follow your manufactures guidelines.