Suggestions please..

Millstone

Got some Tesco/Eurotunnel vouchers that have to be used by the end of the year - just enough for a return crossing with The Yeti. (without the caravan)

Can anybody recomend a decent hotel with GOOD FOOD within about a 250 mile radius of Calais?

We aim to go last w/e in October (school 1/2 term week), for 5 or 6 days, don't want to do Paris - done it loads of times, prefer a nice country hotel that's not too expensive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Richard

There are over 250 hotels in the Pas-de-Calais alone, never mind a 250-mile radius, in which there must be thousands. Perhaps you should decide on a few places where you'd like to go and then get on Tripadvisor like everyone else.

There are over 250 hotels in the Pas-de-Calais alone, never mind a 250-mile radius, in which there must be thousands. Perhaps you should decide on a few places where you'd like to go and then get on Tripadvisor like everyone else.

I don't want to wade through several thousand hotel websites, what I was after was other people's experiences/suggestions/recomendations - then I'll look on Trip Advisor - which I always take with a LARGE pinch of salt!!

Try listing this in "Roadside Hotel" forum.

Much larger readership there :thumbup:

Good suggestion - thank you..

I stayed at the Hotel Beatus in Cambrai on a recent trip to visit the Somme battlefields.

Cambrai is about 90 mins from Calais. The hotel is excellent. The rooms are very comfortable and the breakfasts and dinners were superb.

I am happy to give this recommendation. The hotel rates highly on Trip Advisor and is well justified.

Peter

From the other thread:

We stayed here a while back:

http://www.tripadvis...s_Province.html

Very nice hotel.

Plenty to do in Ghent, and easy to get to Brugge, Brussels or even Antwerp.

One thing I would say comparing Brugge to Ghent; the hotels and restaurants in Ghent are just as nice, but a lot cheaper as It isn't so full of tourists.

Ah well . . . I see that the usual pleasant comradely spirit of some members of this forum (happily a small minority) is beginning to re-emerge from the woodwork once again.

Edited by mikespike

Richard,

Does SWMBO enjoy neddlework? If so you could copy our trip earlier this year to Bayeux and get a chance to see the Invasion Beaches.

We stayed here in Bayeux:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/reine-mathilde-bayeux.en.html?aid=311076;label=reine-mathilde-bayeux-4w7GNVX6V7wYiNiV4T2U5AS11111629140:pl:ta:p1:p2:ac:ap1t1:nes;ws=&gclid=CNfslobx_bECFcRO4Qod9FQAkg

Very pleasant hotel with nice rooms and staff.

We then moved further north to here near Le Croty in the Baie de Somme area:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/les-saules.en-gb.html?aid=311076;label=reine-mathilde-bayeux-4w7GNVX6V7wYiNiV4T2U5AS11111629140%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Anes;sid=24484e00bf566fae74aa255a18ed03c6;dcid=2

A bit more remote and slightly more expensive, but eating out in Le Croty was excellent.

Plenty to do in Ghent, and easy to get to Brugge, Brussels or even Antwerp.

Nice arcade en route centre ville when approaching from the south, ladies decoratively exposed in windows, didn't have my camera that occaision, not allowed to return to get an aide memoire of the visit! - nNice arcade though very pleasant architecture!