Red mist lifted-what to do with a 136 with bust engine?

mender

I would say that the cars will appreciate well over the next few years, like the other basic, communist era stuff is as it has all the right ingredients to do so.

I'm not talking 100% in a year but stronger increases than over the last few years in line with classics that are reaching the age when people with the money to buy them are old enough to be nostalgic about them.

It would be better MOTd and polished, but there may be a reason why it's being sold as is and £999/1199 for two cars is not a lot whatever needs doing.  The only way to know is to go and see it or take a punt on it.

I had the same conversations a few years back on the 2CV site and watched a few people "overpaying" and stockpiling cars/parts getting raised eyebrows.  They now fetch 3 or 4 times what they were bought for...

If you want a hobby car that will be fun and a good investment, whatever work it needs, £1199 is not much money in context-especially with a spare car!

Well the black one has sold at £1199 on ebay...

As said, I would have polished it up and changed the ad to just offer the black one-the second car might have put some people off as it was in with the price and meant more issues in collecting and storing it; it made it sound more of a project and narrowed the market in my eyes.

I would have offered the second car to the buyer or any parts he wanted on collection of the other one and if they did not want it, I would then have ebayed it as spares/repairs.  Two cars, two different markets, more money!

I wonder who bought it and what they'll do with it/them?

I would have thought it was right up Dexter33's street with the mileage...

Edited by mender

Looking at values, this untaxed saloon needs some tlc, a new interior and work for an MOT.  Although previously stolen, it already has a starting bid of £500 which makes some of the opinions on "project" Rapids seem low... It does have low recorded miles and a set of tyres to go with it, though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1986-SKODA-120-L-GREEN-estelle-not-rapid-/221270337228?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3384bd66cc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would recommend shares in QFI for anyone thinking of an investment - low maintenance, no mechanical skill needed and almost certain to at least double in value in the next 12 months....the downside is that they look crap at a show and they are no fun to drive!

Anyone who read this and bought shares in QFI would have now doubled their money....like me! :)

More to come if anyone has any spare cash.....I reckon it will double again, but it might take until Easter next time.

I've had a bumpy ride with the 1989 136 I own and wanted to bail out of it to recoup funds to please others, but....

I mended the engine fire in my Transit for less than £100-was expecting garage bill of 000s

The Iveco EDC light disappeared after a 20 mile thrash-it was probably a stuck EGR valve due to only pootling it locally-phew!

Fixed a handling/steering issue on the other car with drop links fitted gratis by a mate

I fixed the shower by buying a new one myself on ebay and fitting it myself-saved ££££

Had a small windfall and an outstanding invoice finally paid

So, long and short is that I now have a licence to sort out the Rapid and have some funds to do it.  Gutted not to make the mega-meet but hey-ho.

So what to do, who to ask?

I reckon the engine in there is properly cooked as:

Drove it 40 miles temp gauge normal, stopped for fuel, boiled over, let it cool, refilled it without bleeding

Drove 5 miles, temp gauge higher and higher, lost water, let it cool, refilled it, bled it, refilled

Drove 5 miles, temp gauge top end, smelled very hot, oil on and around engine smoking

Stopped, let it cool, refilled it, bled it

Started it, running on 3, steam out of exhaust, screech from somewhere

Car is sat in Leominster HR6, I now have a budget to fix it, anyone fancy doing a straight engine swap or sticking something else in there?

I don't need to use the car until it is done.  Could do with it being collected or done here, could tow it a short way if I buy my wife something nice as she hates being towed!

Repair this engine?

Straight engine swap?

Alfa 145 engine?

Another engine?

Ideas?

I have trade insurance so no worries there.

I would like it to be reliable once done as I will use it for fun as intended, so cooling will need to be sorted!

What a difference a few days makes  :sun:

Mender, have you considered a nice 150bhp scoobie lump in it? Or perhaps something a little stronger? :D In the middle of fitting one to the brother in law's bay window and having driven a bus with just the n/a engine in, it gets some poke! 

Mender, have you considered a nice 150bhp scoobie lump in it? Or perhaps something a little stronger? :D In the middle of fitting one to the brother in law's bay window and having driven a bus with just the n/a engine in, it gets some poke! 

He sold the car weeks back if you scroll down.......Scoobie lump would be a bit heavy in the back of an old Skud....k-series is the current favourite it seems.

He sold the car weeks back if you scroll down.......Scoobie lump would be a bit heavy in the back of an old Skud....k-series is the current favourite it seems.

Only just clocked the thread but never mind. 

Having stripped the ancilliaries from a standard 2ltr lump I was quite surprised to notice that, with a little bit of cutting, it would fit into the engine bay of an 86c Polo. When the mrs caught me looking at Scoobies on the bay it was an idea banished! Shame because fitting the running gear wouldn't have been all that difficult either. 

I do love the idea of it being Scoobie powered- could always get it liveried up like

709_machacek_(Skoda_130_lr)_52d9b61550.j

Scooby engine + T25 VW box is a well tried conversion for beetles and campers so would surely work for a Skud. You'd want some better braking though, front discs would soon overheat after a bit of trackway action I'd guess.