Blaupunkt ipod interface

Thought I ought to let you guys know a few details about the Blaupunkt ipod interface. I recently bought one to be able to hook up my ipod to my Blaupunkt Travelpilot E2 HU. The interface is hooked up to cd changer connectors and allows you to control the ipod from the HU. Also it charges the ipod while it's hooked.

All looking nice and clear there, but here comes the catch. Only a few units support the full features of the unit including id3 tag display on the HU and 9+ playlists (the HU sees playlists as cd's). Also, once you've connected the ipod to the HU, you can't control it from anywhere else than the HU. Now, imagine selecting son 13,578/15,000 from the HU using skip :finger:

Not very cool. Well, I managed to find a bit of a solution to this with a mate of mine. We opened the flimsy el cheapo dock connector from the blaupunkt interface's wiring loom and simply cut out the ipod serial links, leaving in place only necessary wires for recharging and line out. It's very important to understand that you need to hack the ipod side dock connector plug and not the cd changer side. Now I can control the music from the ipod and thus easily select which ever tune I want to and it plays just fine. No more crappy sounds of FM transmitters and what not... :thumbup:

Anyway, if you want to control your ipod from the HU - don't get the blaupunkt interface. But, if you want a solid link from your ipod to your stereo system with charging integrated, get it and do a bit of hacking (remember, hack the ipod dock connector side of the wiring loom!).

for some intersing links:

1) ipod dock connector pinout: http://pinouts.ru/data/ipod_pinout.shtml

2) blaupunkt cd changer pinout, check your manual here: http://www.blaupunkt.co.uk/infoservices_6.asp

And to complete this post, here is a picture of the setup complete with Brodit's proclip & iPod holder. This particular holder requires no drilling or screwing - it sits around the vent.

// Juha