Diagnostic help please which basic system

Hi all,

New here, I have a Fabia mk2 tdi estate 59plate. Door open indicator started flickering and then staying on intermittetnly. Only one indicator for all five doors. I started investigating side door lock microswitches each in turn, all ok, then serviced and replaced. fault remained.

Boot mechanism different, more difficult to gain access to micro switch, continuity at socket ok and  as the boot light comes on  as expected, decided that boot ok.

Have an MOT due, checked that this would not constitue a failure, but wish to solve problem. I investigated loom on drivers door and found a damaged wire in the door connection rubber boot. repaired with a ferrule and heatshrink. problem persists. I suspect more than one fault.

I can either pull all looms and check continuity but a loom schematic would be really helpfull. Could someone help and tell me if a simple diagnostic program would help identify at which door faults are located?. I have looked at Vag-com but it is quite expensive is there a cheaper alternative that would give me the info required. 

cheers and many thanks for reading.

if it can be identified with vagcom look in the diagnostic section on here there is a map of people who have it and willing to help others

many will help for a small contribution to beer fund etc

Don't think VCDS (VAG-COM) going to help you, certainly didn't when the drivers door switch wire broke on ours.

What I'd suggest is disconnecting all the doors looms. If the light is now off reconnect them one by one until it comes back on you will identify which is faulty.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for help, itermittent faults are the worst kind. I have been back to the loom. The fractured wire  in the loom was 1mm white/red traced to the window motor.

I traced yellow /brown .5mm  from microswitch to the alarm overide button in the door, and then throughput from button to hinge boot was different, continuity was good. I tried to create fault by wiggling but unsuccesfull. I tried to remove loom so I could use a voltstick to trace broken cable, but I found it quite difficult to get out and had to reassemble to go shopping :( However once back in the car the fault remains... a typical outcome.

Obvoiusly the wire quality is far too poor for this location, and i suspect there may be others damaged. It was obvious the red/white because firstly it was exposed within the rubber boot and also because the sheathing was fractured.

it would be great if the door microswitch had an individual signal back to a terminal on a pcb, but without a full schematic testing the signal path complete is going to be much harder. Ideally I need to test with the door socket located. Does anybody know if there is a full shematic available anywhere?

cheers

and thanks for the help.

Note:

System requirements for repair and maintenance information

• Adobe Acrobat Reader (for opening PDF documents)
  • Adobe SVG Viewer
  • Operating system: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 7
  • Web browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 (other web browsers are incompatible)

You can look through the info available under vehicle information> repair before you pay, this may save you time/money.

• 1 month later...

I have also had a problem (intermittent to start with during wet weather) The dash said it was the drivers door so i stripped it down removed the lock and checked the micro switch all was ok .With a meter found out that micro switch goes to Pins 7 & 8 of socket on lock unit brown & yellow wire on pin 8. traced it back to door connection where i found two brown & yellow wires connected together. The other on goes to the Window motor unit ,If i remove this plug everything works fine except of course the electric window,which is a bit of a problem when getting a ticket for the car park.I think that i read on here that someone had found that the brown and yellow wire had been cut on their car .I might resort to that in the end but am still driving round without the door card on trying to think of another answer.