Spaceback 1.6 towing

Does anyone tow with a 1.6 Spaceback?

Currently have a 2 litre 4x4 Yeti but am looking to reduce costs a bit, but need the capability to tow an 1150kg caravan, which is just within the limits.

Thanks.

Does anyone tow with a 1.6 Spaceback?

Currently have a 2 litre 4x4 Yeti but am looking to reduce costs a bit, but need the capability to tow an 1150kg caravan, which is just within the limits.

Thanks.

As you know the limit is 1200kg on a 1.6 (new gen) 1.6TDI.

Is the 1150lg the MAM or the unladen weight ?  Whats the unladen weight ? (helps understand the actual load)

I have a 1.4tdi, 90, and i think that would pull it, (upto 1000kg) however it will work the engine very hard and may not be enjoyable.

HOWEVER--- back in the late 90's, my dad had a 1,6 Cavalier (petrol) with i think 100bhp and towed our caravan which was 1100kg no issues...

guess its all about expectations and number of times a year used.

1150kg is the MAM, but we don't load that highly, and I have been caravanning for 30 years, so aren't too worried about the various "rulings". Going down to my dealers next week so shall have a go in one and see what I feel. However SWMBO is happy with the Yeti but a Spaceback is a lot cheaper..................

1150kg is the MAM, but we don't load that highly, and I have been caravanning for 30 years, so aren't too worried about the various "rulings". Going down to my dealers next week so shall have a go in one and see what I feel. However SWMBO is happy with the Yeti but a Spaceback is a lot cheaper..................

The 1.6TDI also comes with the 6 speed box too compared to our 1.4tdi..

A cheeky remap could help though ?

It might be a step down, but having retired and getting a "little" payout I might as well spend it, as there aren't any pockets in shrouds!

The Yeti is over 5 years old and has done more than 102k miles so needs to be replaced now whilst we have the money.

I just thought that it was worth looking at the Spaceback as that is the nearest in size to the Yeti; the Octavia is just too big!

• Like 1

Lots!

Several rallies with the CSMA.

Journeys to France and down to Cornwall.

Tricky one.... i would nect be looking at the cost to change or maybe go for a Octy3, i though you say its too big... but a 2.0tdi is the logical choice.......

Fact is...If your keen on a SB,  disregard performance when towing, it will pull it.. you will arrive....  it will do the job, maybe not just as good or as easy as something else.

Personally, i would not use the SB for towing, but thats just because i come from a larger car background.  Our MY16 SB isused for local trips now instead of MY16 Superb.

Get a long test drive booked in and take it from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to close this, I've bought a 6 month old, ex Skoda management Yeti 150 SE L, 4x4.

Congrats.  I think you made the right choice.  The Yeti is definitely the better car and much better for your needs (towing).  I hope it gives you many happy miles of motoring!

• Like 1