Changing Sparks...

DamoR

Anyone got any tips or "How to's" on changing the spark plugs on the vRS? Had a quick butchers and there a lot of pipes and wires :) 

I need to change em because i seem to have a misfire when cold on cylinder 4 when engine is under load! plus... i don't know when they were last changed. hopefully this should fix my misfire! Faut code P0304 for anyone interested :thumbup:

The Video will help a bit in as far as the Hard Pipe at the Drivers Side,  (Forget the DV+ bit of things...)

take care with O Rings & resealing, & Breather Pipes you disconnect.

*Failing to reseal the Pipe Work or even puncturing is quite a common issue, even at 'Main Dealerships', so just take care and pay attention.*

You need the Ignition Coil Remover, or know how to make one and how you get the coils out.

You need the correct Spark Plug Socket, thin wall, long reach.  You need to take care the Gap is correct and not hit the end putting plugs in.

There are threads here on doing it, i use a piece of rubber pipe putting new plugs back in and starting to thread.

I would go for the DENSO plugs and i will bump the thread.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Cheers George.. ive already ordered the plugs and put a discount code in the thread, just a quick update on the issue as well.

I have pulled coil packs on 3 and 4 and swapped around to see if the misfire moved (to eliminate coil pack issues) and just been for quick run... no misfire at all now and also i had a bit of a rough idle.. thats gone also. could have been a dodgy connection somewhere?? im still gonna do the plugs because i don't know when they were last done (if ever)

fingers crossed ive accidentally fixed it :thumbup:  :D

Edited by DamoR

If one spark plug has an opening gap because that plug has been getting sooted and oiled and is burning out then the coil can also have a shorter life.

Anyway a quick run might show a misfire, but not log in the codes, but often at NSL's and warming up the misfire is not going to be felt.

If you are on Super Charger & Turbo under load and just below 3,500 rpm then a serious misfire can have Engine Light or EPC or Both & the car in Limp Mode.

So do not experiment, inspect all 4 spark plugs very very closely. 

If one plug is so different from the other 3, please post up the picture.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well not had a chance to get in and change spark plugs yet and haven't really been driving the car due to being off work.. misfire has re-appeared yesterday tho.. including limp mode and EPC light :(  been to halfrauds and bought the spark plug socket and this is now job number 1 for tomorrow! 

Edited by DamoR

So, what is the latest? Do you have a cure or are there further nasties to contend with?

misfire cured by changing the plugs... MPG still struggling to get over 35mpg on a 30 mile run. gonna swap back to shell fuel for a tank or 2 and see if anything changes.

Edited by DamoR

That is the easiest thing to do, you can try different tank fills back to back.

My issue with Shell V Power Nitro+ is i do not want detergents with a Twincharger, i would rather make sure the oil is good and the engine gets a good roasting regularly,

but then other Super Unleaded can have Detergents as well.

Have you looked at your Air Filter to see that it is clean?

• 2 months later...