Intermittent Start / Brake light fault - electrical issue

Drax

Hello All,

Strange one - see what you make of this... I currently have the loops symbol flashing on the dash. 

Symptoms:

- Get into car turn the ignition, not a peep from the engine, rear brake lights are on as if pedal is pressed (except its not).

- Go back in house, wait 5 - 10 mins, come back, brake lights are off. Turn the ignition. Sometimes it starts, but mostly it will give a single kick. After several attempts it will fire up. Alterntively if I keep the key turned it will kick once, then pause for a few seconds and kick again. I then turn off the ignition completely and back on it starts fine.

- Always on the first start in the morning - I've had it in temps of zero degress to 16 degrees and its the same. Even if I got to work for the day it will always start no problem in the afternoon.

- Sometimes it will fire up first time! 

- Once engine is started runs without issue.

- What has started happening now is the left indicator and the bonnet open lamps are lit but not fully - i.e like they are faded. They either fade out as the journey progresses or I've seen the flicker. Opening the drivers door makes the faded lamps go out!

I've brought it to a main dealer - they told me it could take 10 mins or 6 hours. They spent 3 hours on it and couldnt resolve.

I am racking my brains trying to figure it out.... 

Fuses look ok, bulbs look ok - would it be worth pulling the dash ot to check for loose wiring? I assume its a single block connector on the back?

I though it might be water ingress but it doesn't really seem to be weather dependent, nor temp dependent.

Just thought I'd post here to see if any ideas! Much appreciated.