Strange noise (rattling, squeaking) coming from the back (boot lid?) Sample included! - Octavia MK2 FL VRS

Hello, everyone!

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a strange noise coming from the back of my Octavia MK2 FL VRS (you can hear it from the attachment below).

It seems to come from the boot lid, as I had a friend sitting in the back of the car with the back seats down, and he told me that somehow, if he gets his head into the boot he can't hear it at all. 

In the front and back seats however, the noise is become quite irritating to say the least. It is not a loud one, it's just really prominent at low speeds.

It can be heard the most when you sit on the back seat behind the driver seat and it's somehow coming from the top plastic surrounding the third brake light or from the sides in the same area.

I have removed everything from the boot, including the spare wheel cover and the sound is still present. I really seems like it comes from the boot lid, however, I have tried to replicate the sound with it closed, trying to literally bounce the car up and down but hadn't had any luck.

Here's some quick information on the sound behavior:

- It can be heard at low to medium speeds 0-30mph, anything higher and the road noise wins over.

- On the recording I was literally cruising in 1st gear at 1000 rpm in order for you to hear it better

- No matter what surface the car runs on, whether it's really smooth (like an underground parking), or a little bit rough, the sound is present, although it seems to be even more audible on rough asphalt

- My rear wash fluid line is detached as no fluid can reach the rear windscreen, (maybe it can be related to this, I read its a common problem on MK2)

- I have tried to clean the rubber that encloses the boot lid when it's shut (right near the third brake light at the top ), however it didn't seem to make any difference

- If I shake the boot lid when open, I can't hear any noises, they're just audible when the car is moving with the boot lid closed

I really hope you can help me find the source of this noise as it's driving me crazy.

Thank you in advance!

Rattling_Squeaking.m4a

Thankfully I have found the solution, and hopefully anyone having the same problem can give it a try, for me it worked.

Long story short, it seems like the car had an accident in the back with the previous owner, causing the trunk door to move a little bit into either left or right side, nothing major.

However I found that after it got repaired, nobody aligned it properly and the 2 rubber pieces were completely screwed all the way into the trunk. I attached a picture so that you know what I'm talking about.

There are 2 rubber pieces helping the attenuation of the closing trunk. They can be screwed and unscrewed by twisting left or right.

Mine were both completely screwed in and not only the boot wasn't properly sealing, thus making that rubber vibrating noise with the metal portion they touch when it's closed, but it was also making a really unpleasant sound when closed from any height.

I fixed both issues by unscrewing the left rubber more than the right one since it seems like the boot still isn't 100% straight into position after the accident, so I had to compensate more from one side.

Since then, I have absolutely no rattle and closing the truck sounds deep, as it should.

Thanks for all suggestions either way! I really appreciate the help!

problem.png

• Like 1