Yeti 1.4tsi 150 cam belt

Madrunner

Good evening clever people

I’ve searched high and low on here and through the net for the interval/mileage for replacing the cam belt.

They yeti in question is a 2017 1.4tsi 150.

Thanks in advance and a very Happy New Year to you all

Cheers Dave

Thank you. Other tsi lumps with belts rather than chains appeared to be 5 years with various mileage equivalents.

We’ve covered 72k km and the French dealers close to us have given us a mixed bag of sneers from yes, the car is 6 years old to no you’ve covered chuff all mileage.

Hopeless. I’m getting to the point of just doing it regardless.

I think officially it's 5 years, but my local Indy advised it should be fine up to 70k, (my car only had 30k miles). I think if I had kept it I would have probably changed it at 6/7 years anyway, regardless of miles as too much of a risk?

(I also had a Mazda that only ever specified a similar mileage, regardless of age).

Officially it is like pick a number any number for the km for doing an inspection of the belt, according to which country and dust, environment etc.

The UK is about as near to no extremes of temperatures as you get. 

Plenty independents know that there might be no reason to change the belt, even not change the tensioners which is pretty much as important as the belt if not even more so.

The thing is if it goes badly wrong they do not do the repair for free. 

@MadrunnerAre you servicing the Haldex every 3 years or sooner?

Edited by toot

NB they also recommend you change the water pump at the same time aas this is even more likely to fail and it is (relatively) cheap to do it while they are accessing the cambelt...

I recommend you do not change the water pump at the same time.

Change the water pump if it requires changing if it fails.

If you have others doing the work for you then maybe you do want the work / labour all at the same time, as long as it is not some ridiculous rip off price.

The warranty period here in snail land was only 2 years. As soon as it was out I switched to a local independent, run by 2 brothers, who are sensible rates, advise of any preventative stuff to do so I can decide whether to approve and do a thorough job on routine maintenance.

ill do both, tbh while they have it it won’t add a huge amount to the bill from à labour side.

They look after my Amarok pick up and when I needed a major service, diffs, transfer box, auto box etc they did a quality job.

2 hours ago, Madrunner said:

Yes toot did the haldex at 50k km 👍👍 Good point that

Its G

So that's MY2016, I was asking as their's a change for MY2017 in the maintenance book.

I am always amused when I see the servicing chart above, issued by Skoda UK, as the official timings for things from factory are XY, and Skoda UK take things off there own back to add a Z on the end to earn themselves money I presume.

Example 4x4 service:

Factory = Change oil every 3 years

Skoda = Change oil every 3 years or 30k miles

I always wonder why they decide they know more than the factory, and have the autority to slap on their own condition?

This is the same for the belt, it's supposed to be for "life" (rather open ended statement) but I myself would probably stick to 5 years (or check condition then, and every year after)

One thing I did see not shown on above chart is alarm battery at 6 years, probably skipped over by most, and really down to yourself to decide on that.

• Like 1

Yeah, exactly my confusion when trying to establish a clear definition of the belt change.

Some top advice from everyone, as always, to just change it anyway.

out of interest what was the change/updates at 17my ?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Madrunner said:

Yeah, exactly my confusion when trying to establish a clear definition of the belt change.

Some top advice from everyone, as always, to just change it anyway.

out of interest what was the change/updates at 17my ?

A facelift of some sorts/or platform change.

OCU (onboard communications unit) and a new MIB3 I would dare say

AdBlue

Are the rough changes I can see on a quick look.

• Like 1

No chart was published for 2022. The website had the similar time / miles but price on application.

As to cam belt / cambelt & waterpump.  The prices on application for a 1.0, 1.2, 1.4 or a 1.5, then diesels or 2 litre TSI's is all getting mixed up with the simplest / cheapest, least labour jobs having crazy prices quoted at UK main dealerships.

eg. Not the easiest / least labour with a 1.5 TSI.  Many going to get a quote or the work done @ 5 years are in for a shock.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/507544-cam-belt-for-15-tsi-in-east-kent

PS.

Service books with MK2 Fabia from 2010 had 'Alarm Siren' @ 5 years / 50,000 miles for replacement.

Volvo had at 12 years, and lots actually started going off as the battery dies at 12 years.

1168293554_37335614_Screenshot2021-09-14at07_38_18(3).webp.ee5b8a609f78b3b2f42441d7532010fa.webp.03b06c85571b53b664b7942fca3ad3bc.webp.f393ed8c476db32331ff95a994fd58a3.webp

922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736.jpg.ece7ad63bf3be1dd444132de450cade0.jpg

1221833257_Screenshot2020-10-03at13_19_19.jpg.c743b2191e0cb186e97d46c7df84c5cf.jpg.e9d832bf9c41f20132c06cf6df96c1a2.jpg

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, toot said:

PS.

Service books with MK2 Fabia from 2010 had 'Alarm Siren' @ 5 years / 50,000 miles for replacement.

Volvo had at 12 years, and lots actually started going off as the battery dies at 12 years.

I wish they would add these items onto the charts, or give us a portal we can input VIN and get back a custom chart including all these items.

I can imagine the shock of going in for something at 6 years or 14 years and getting a call from service desk about something else not taken into account.

• Like 1

1.4 TSI PHEV,s  are Fixed Service Oil and filter changes. 

Some VW info showed @ 8,000 miles, some @ 9,400 miles as with Skoda, & some are just the usual 10,000 miles.  Keep it simply.

Not that green really running your car for a year using electric to get 25 miles, but the engine oil is being changed, the sparkplugs @ 4 years etc.

It is all about the money, as the song goes.     If you have a keeper from new. Service as required, Use, Location etc.  Weather / Climate / World Region.

** HAVE THAT MAIN DEALER CONFIRM A BODY INSPECTION IS DONE WHEN THEY ARE CHARGING A PREMIUM FOR SERVICES,

Skoda / VW keep saying no record of these when people have a Corrosion Warranty claim',  They advertise as part of a Service and when there is a Service Record they know which Dealerships do not do them and record, even which Employee signed off their servicing.**

1648473663_Screenshot2022-01-0719_59_47.jpg.032545700ce0df423285102b2458b4d7.jpg

530321077_Screenshot2022-01-0720_00_10.jpg.f55632e971fd0552d2767f764a652af9.jpg

Edited by toot

25 minutes ago, varooom said:

A facelift of some sorts/or platform change.

OCU (onboard communications unit) and a new MIB3 I would dare say

AdBlue

Are the rough changes I can see on a quick look.

Very kind, thank you 👍

• Like 1