Creaking noise from front suspension - fixed

Hi all.  My car's a Toledo but I thought I'd post this here as well as in the Seatcupra forum, as our cars are the same.

I've suffered for the last 4 years on and off with this wretched creaking noise from the front of my Toledo.  It's done it since it had 16k miles on it.  It's really bad on speed bumps, but crops up on most bumps - pot holes, etc.  It's weather / temperature dependent - I can go through the whole summer with no noise at all, but as soon as the temperature drops below 15°, the creaking starts. Weirdly, if the temperature gets close to zero, the creaking stops again. It also stops in rain.

There are several posts in various forums about this issue, and it seems to affect various VAG cars. Lots of suggestions as to the fix - ARB bushes, engine mounts, drop links etc. but nothing concrete.  I replaced the drop links as it was a cheap fix, but this made no difference.  I replaced the ARB bushes with genuine ones; no change.  I took the ARB bushes out and coated them liberally in red rubber grease - again no joy.  Still convinced it had to be arb-related, last week I disconnected the drop links and drove the car over my local speed bump and the noise was gone.

I've bought some Powerflex bushes and I've just fitted them.  Deep joy - the noise is no more!  

Hopefully this will be of use to anyone else with the same problem. 

Cheers,

Martyn

• Like 1

So new ARB bushes did the job?

I've got similar on and off and it seems to be NS, also a Toledo BTW.

Now I've had the car since new 2014 only done 35k miles and since I'd say the first year I've had creaks on the NS on and off. This year especially now the colder weather it seems more prominent but only when in the first few miles, seems to be smooth after that. Over the years I've check most stuff for play and tightness with nothing found obvious. Earlier to this year I had the brakes apart for checks and servicing and checked on the drop links, no play at all and in good nick.

I'll have a look at these bushes, any chance of a link to where purchased?

Cheers👍

Yep, mine was sometimes ns, sometimes os, usually both though. Doesn't help that there are loads of speed bumps where I live. 

I bought direct from Powerflex here. Be careful to get the right size. I use Catcar which suggests there are two for the Toledo: 19mm ARB and 17mm bushes for the 5 speed cars, and 20mm ARB / 18mm bushes for the 6 speed. My car is the 1.2tsi CBZB with the 6-speed gearbox, and has 18mm bushes.

The Powerflex site does recommend measuring the diameter of your ARB - mine is 20mm. However, weirdly they only list one size for the Toledo whereas I think there should be two as above. Maybe give them a ring if you're in any doubt. 

Hope this helps to sort your issue! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vwman55 said:

Yep, mine was sometimes ns, sometimes os, usually both though. Doesn't help that there are loads of speed bumps where I live. 

I bought direct from Powerflex here. Be careful to get the right size. I use Catcar which suggests there are two for the Toledo: 19mm ARB and 17mm bushes for the 5 speed cars, and 20mm ARB / 18mm bushes for the 6 speed. My car is the 1.2tsi CBZB with the 6-speed gearbox, and has 18mm bushes.

The Powerflex site does recommend measuring the diameter of your ARB - mine is 20mm. However, weirdly they only list one size for the Toledo whereas I think there should be two as above. Maybe give them a ring if you're in any doubt. 

Hope this helps to sort your issue! 

I'll measure mine first before ordering.

Made a mistake with ordering some MX-5 ARB bushes last year, too small, previous owner had upgraded the rear ARB.

I haven't touched my Toledo's ARB from new, it's a 6 speed SE NAV 105 1.2tsi

• 3 months later...

mine creaked every winter, when high humidity..

fixed it last week, took the bushes of, cleaned them an the torsen arm, and their mounting points... then put some bearing grease on them, and now, no creaking..