Cleaning V157 throttle body valve

rbhelle

2011 Superb, 2.0tdi, CFFB 4x4 with DSG DQ250. 212 800km / 133 000miles on the clock.

Just did the maintenance of the valve, did not mod the EGR pipe intake on the manifold. Didn`t have the time, but will do this later on.

Tools needed:

• 7mm pipe for hose clamps, can also use a flat iron screwdriver (but I hate those)
  • 10mm pipe
  • 5mm hex bit
  • T30 pipe with off-set extenders
  • I preferrably used a small/medium sized 1/4" ratchet with adapter for 3/8" pipes since the space is limited.

First is to disconnect electrical connectors to throttle body. Then use 7mm pipe to undo both hose clamps on the short charge hose between intake and throttle body. Use a flat screwdriver or a hose pick tool to break loose the hoses in both ends. Pry them, wiggle and use some force to get both ends disconnected. It wil give you a whole lot more space to work with. Cover up the lower intake with some paper/gloves or anything to stop you from fumbling a bolt or nut "down there".

Next is to loosen the high pressure fuel pipe to hpfp, it is 2x T30 screws. Will probably give you more leverage when disconnecting the EGR pipe.

Then you undo the 10mm bolt clamped to the oil dipstick and push the dipstick a bit to the side.

Well, continue with ratchet and finde the 3x T30 screws on the throttle body, one is easily accessed from plane sight, the second one is best seen under the EGR pipe and the third you just have to guess and feel your way under the throttle body. Remove the throttle body, if it is stuck use a flat screwdriver to loosen. Remember to also take out the rubber seal ring (orange).

I clean the body with screwdriver, brushes and brake cleaner. Be gentle to avoid damage.

Next is to remove connecting EGR pipe form engine to manifold. Should be farely easy removal. Use long extension with off-set in order to reach the 2x T30 bolts from engine, be careful not to loose them. Then use the 5mm hex to disconnect the pipe from the pipe adapter stuck into the manifold. It is clamped, so maybe use a bit of force and bend the clamp til you can remove the pipe.

Now undo the last two T30 screws connecting the pipe adaoter with hole to the manifold intake. I guess this is farely clogged if you car has done a lot of miles in cold environment without letting the enige reach its working temp.

Now, you can of course modify you EGR connecting adapter pipe so it will face its opening against the engine instead of  facing towards the thottle valve body. To do this you need to cut/file a small notch opposite side of where the notch is originally. There is another "how-to" concerning this mod on this page.

If you do this maintenance, I guess you will have one less fault code that can occur when it ifts you the worst. I would say that every car that is used as a daily driver with short runtimes (engine not up to sufficient operating temp over longer periods), should have this done the sooner the better.

charge hose.JPG

throttle body.JPG

fuel pressure pipes.JPG

connecting pipe EGR pipe to throttle body.JPG

20231230_163431.jpg

20231230_163439.jpg

20231230_164731.jpg

Oh, I forgot, after tis operation, you should adapt the throttle valve via basic settings again.

Key ignition "ON" but do not start the engine (engine NOT running).

Do NOT touch the accelerator at all when doing this basic setting.

• Choose module 01 Engine
  • Basic settings
  • From drop down menu, choose "throttle valve alignment" - Then GO!
  • Wait for confirmation "Finished correctly". After that, click "Stop" and wait another 30sec until you end basic settings via "Done Go back".

Same procedure via OBD 11 and VCDS. I guess you need similar coding tool.