how to remove front ashtray?

bryanp

Hi, does anyone know how to remove the front ashtray? ive got the standard fit pop up when it wants front ashtray and i'd like to remove the pop up and lock mechanism so i can decide when its opening, besides i never use the bloody thing anyway, Cheers

All you need to do is open the ashtray, push down the flap on the small ash tray insert and then pull this removable section towards you, you will then see a T25 screw at the bottom of this, remove it, then lift up the surround around the gaitor and there are two more T25 screws, remove these and then remove the ashtray assembly, unclip the cigarette lighter and you can then do as you wish.

Sounds a bit extreme:eek: Think what else you will lose with major surgery.

Mine used to pop up every time I went over the slightest bump and it was very annoying. Glued 2 small pieces of Velcro (each about the size of a small postage stamp) one on the lid and the other on the inside. Sorted!:thumbup:

No its fine!!!...dealer has spoken to the parts bloke and apparantly they will call when its in..not sure what part though!

Thats nothing...second day in drove along a country lane and clipped a branch sticking out of a hedge..thought I'd only knocked the wing then when i went to have my little girls car seat fitted I noticed I'd scuffed THE WHOLE SIDE!!

I've T cutted and used Meguiars Scratch X paste but if you look hard you can still see the scuffing...no pain taken off though...still gutted

No its fine!!!...dealer has spoken to the parts bloke and apparantly they will call when its in..not sure what part though!

Thats nothing...second day in drove along a country lane and clipped a branch sticking out of a hedge..thought I'd only knocked the wing then when i went to have my little girls car seat fitted I noticed I'd scuffed THE WHOLE SIDE!!

I've T cutted and used Meguiars Scratch X paste but if you look hard you can still see the scuffing...no pain taken off though...still gutted

Oh dear, you have only had it five minutes!!!

Bryamp, there is an adjustment that you could look at first. The springs that pop the cover up, have adjustable mountings. My cover used to fly up and banged against the stop. Very cheap sounding. Having removed the ashtray and moved the springs to a lower setting its much better. The ashtray glides up slowly and quietly. Is it possible that yours has too much pressure and is overcoming the catch?

Bryamp, there is an adjustment that you could look at first. The springs that pop the cover up, have adjustable mountings. My cover used to fly up and banged against the stop. Very cheap sounding. Having removed the ashtray and moved the springs to a lower setting its much better. The ashtray glides up slowly and quietly. Is it possible that yours has too much pressure and is overcoming the catch?

You learn something new everyday, I didn't know that but then I have mine open all the time as I have a Tourag Torch in the cigarette lighter socket.