New Discs at 41k??

Tiptronic

Hi Chaps

Superb went in yesterday for it's 40k service. Service went well, but as you probably know, there is a brake system check on this service. I half expected new pads, but was a little shocked when they said it needed new discs all round as well.:(

I've driven a few cars from new now, and done similar mileages. Never before have I had to have discs replaced at this mileage. :confused:

Is this common on Superbs? If so, how much have you had to pay?

Ta in advance.

All the Best

Chris

Sounds a little odd to me mate.

Is this your personal car or a company car? Might just be the dealers trying to make some money to be honest?!?!

Hi Baker

The car is our own private motor. Dealer is brilliant:thumbup: , so I would never suspect them of anything untoward.

I am just concerned that I am paying for a problem that I shouldn't be paying for, as in perhaps the original discs are not up to the job?:(

All the Best

Chris

Hi Baker

The car is our own private motor. Dealer is brilliant:thumbup: , so I would never suspect them of anything untoward.

I am just concerned that I am paying for a problem that I shouldn't be paying for, as in perhaps the original discs are not up to the job?:(

All the Best

Chris

Hmmm....well I couldn't comment any further mate, maybe you have just been driving a hard 41k?!?!?

Guest Fabia 12v

hard driving and or heavier car than previous cars owned? that would lead to wear. Although my golf has done 100k and the disks wern't changed till gone 80k! Guess there are many reasons. Item like that is wear and tear so no car is going to be the same.

I would suggest it's worth raising these concerns with the dealer - Mondeo is still on the original set of discs at 60k with plenty of disc left, and that's a similar sized/weight car to the Superb (and probably has a harder life :o )

Chris

My fab vrs's went at 30k - dealer said they were corroded, I could tell they'd gone though, plus the pads had loads of life left!

I reckon it may have been the alloy wheel cleaner I was using.... turtle wax extreme, I won't be using it again.

Out of interest do you use the automatic side of your gearbox more as I seem to remember that autos brakes are used more and harder at that.....Just a thought

Never use the manual side, apart from when the auto holds on to a gear longer than I want it to.

Be interesting to see if any other Tiptronic owners have experienced it.

Thanks

Chris

I have also had to replace the discs and pads on my Superb 1.8T at about 42K miles. Total cost £530, but that was with EBC grooved discs and EBC greenstuff pads ;-)

I put it down to being driven, how shall we say, Briskly!

I wouldnt be suprised if you had to change the discs at 40k.

If the pads are getting low (if they havent gone through the warning wires allready) and there is a substantial lip on the disc and all you do is change the pads the lip chops through the warning loom before the pads are even half worn.

I wouldnt be suprised if you had to change the discs at 40k.

If the pads are getting low (if they havent gone through the warning wires allready) and there is a substantial lip on the disc and all you do is change the pads the lip chops through the warning loom before the pads are even half worn.

Thanks Ross

It just seemed a low mileage to have to replace discs. I expected pads, but was shocked at discs as well.

Funnily enough, they said about the brakes on Monday when it was having the service. They said, have you not had the Check Pads warning? Not yet, we said. Would you Adam an Eve it, the message came up that evening!

Car is going in today for pads and discs. SWMBO haggled a good price, so could have been worse.

All the Best

Chris