Boot Won't Close

My car had the opposite problem - the boot wouldn't open electrically, but it would with the key. Although the car is under warranty, the fix was dead simple.

Remove the boot lid inner trim - screws under the triangle and in each "handhold". There are several clips which are stiff. You will see the boot locking actuator which pulls on a curved bowden cable with the key lock acting half way along it. At the boot catch end of the cable is a lever which is connected to the bowden. It is the pivot for this lever which is stiff - yours presumably has stuck in the unlatched position. In my case, one drop of oil on the lever pivot fixed the problem for good.

Grease the clips before you put the trim back - they will be rusty next time you have to go in there and then the trim will break.

If only VAG could match Japanese quality... but then they don't make a diesel to match the PD.

rotodiesel.

• 2 weeks later...

I have got a problem closing the boot, and it is very hit and miss. On the plus side the dealer looked at it and very quickly decided the catch mechanism needed replacing - - on the minus side it is very slow delivery and I am still waiting almost 2 weeks later