MK1 Fabia 5 litre washer bottle conversion

Jonny5ive

I have produced this guide for those owners of cars without headlight washers fitted, who wish to upgrade thier exsisting 2 litre washer bottle to a 5 litre washer bottle.

If (like me) you cover a lot of miles, this modification means that you refill your washer bottle less frequently. Particularly handy in the winter emoticon-0148-yes.gif

THANKS TO THOSE BRISKODIANS WHOSE GUIDE I FOLLOWED AND HAVE "BORROWED" SOME KEY INFORMATION FROM

Part Number:

************ PRICES UPDATED FEBRURY 2010 - Thanks DEANO **************

6Q0 955 453 S - For Vehicles Without Level Sensor - PART NO LONGER AVAILABLE

6Q0 955 453 T - For Vehicles With Level Sensor - £33.89 incl VAT ( Was £16.56 + VAT circa 2005)+ a plug and gasket @ £3.20

Tools Required:

10mm Socket

13mm Socket

Long Extensions 12"+ for the above sockets

Torx T30 Bit

Torx T25 Bit

Small Thin Flat Head Screwdriver

Long Nose Pliers

10mm Ring Spanner

Other Requirements:

1x additional 10mm Nut as 5l bottle has 4 fixing points

Patience

About 3 hours

A selection of Rubber/Plastic Bungs available in the Plumbing Aisle at B&Q

Strong Adhesive

Silicon Sealant

You undertake this modification at your own risk. Neither I nor Briskoda can be held responsible for any loss, damage injury or malfunction arising from this modification howsoever caused. YES it is likely to invalidate your warranty.

1. Remove fog light surrounds from front bumper (fig #1) - A firm pull toward you should see the surround come free quite easily. This will allow you access to the rear of the fog lights to unplug them electrically

Fig #1

1RemoveFogLightGrills1.jpg

2. Remove 4 T25 Torx screws from each wheel arch (fig #2)- I found putting the steering on full lock gave easier access to the arches.

Fig #2

2TorxScrewsOSWheelArch1.jpg

3. Remove 2 T25 Torx screws from each side of the underside of bumper near wheel arches (fig #3).

Fig #3

3TorxScrewsUndersideofBumpber1.jpg

4. Remove 3 panel fasteners from the underside of the bumper nearest the plastic sump guard (fig #4). I found the easiest way to remove these was to gently prise the central pin out with a small thin bladed electrical screwdriver. (close up fig #5) Then pull the pin free with long nose pliers. The plastic cup is then easy to pull free.

Fig #4

4TrimFastensersUndersideofBumper1.jpg

Edited by Jonny5ive
  • Like 1

Fig #5

5TrimFastenerCloseUp.jpg

5. Remove 2 T30 Torx Bolt from the Chassis Legs behind the bumper (fig #6)

Fig #6

6LargeTorxBolts-ChassisLegs1.jpg

6. Remove the bumper by firmly pulling from the edges near wheel arch first to free catches.

CARE WARNING: Remember to remove the temperature sensor prior to moving the bumper away from the car (fig #7)

Fig #7

7TempSensorBehindBumper1.jpg

7. Remove 3 10mm fixing nut washers from the exsisting washer bottle. 1 at the neck(fig #8). 1 at the side of the battery box (fig #8) (NOTE: Long extension for socket required to reach this nut) 1 on the top of the body of the bottle (fig #9)

Fig #8

9WasherBottleFixingBolt1.jpg

Edited by Jonny5ive

Fig #9

10WasherBottle2lfixingBolt1.jpg

8. Remove pump and level sensors from the 2 litre bottle. (fig #9) REMEMBER to remove the rubber grommits that are attached. You will need these to re-fit to the new bottle.

9. Remove 2 litre bottle from vehicle by pulling the body of the bottle down and away from the vehicle.

PATIENCE WARNING: This part is a bit tricky so take your time. I found it easier to remove the blue cap from the washer bottle before hand.

10. The new 5 litre bottle has 3 holes, 1 for the normal pump, 1 for headlight washers (these two are close together) and one for the Level Sensor (underneath)

My car does not have headlight washers, hence 2 litre bottle as standard so you need to blank off the outer most hole of the new bottle (fig #10) using your chosen bung, adhesive (fig #11) and sealant on the outside (fig #12)

Fig #10

SidebySide1.jpg

Fig #11

Prep-BungsAdhesives.jpg

Fig #12

BungCloseUp.jpg

Have a cup of tea whilst sealant and glue cure emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Edited by Jonny5ive
  • Like 1

11. PATIENCE WARNING: Refit 5 litre bottle by feeding the neck of the bottle back up throught the same aperture from which you removed the 2 litre bottle. This is very fiddly and it does need a bit of "gentle persuasion" in places.

12. Re-fit the pump in the handy clip provided (fig #10)

13. Re-fit the level sensor in the underside of the bottle (fig #10)

14. Test new 5 litre bottle for functionaltiy and leaks.

15. Secure the new 5 litre bottle in 4 places - 1 nut near the neck and one at the side of the battery (NOTE: Long extension for socket required to reach this nut) (fig #8)

2 nuts on the top of the body of the bottle (fig #13) NOTE: additional 10mm nut needed here.

PATIENCE WARNING: Tightening the 4th nut is a slow process. Less than a 1/4 turn at a time due to its inaccessability. Use a ring spanner and take your time.

Fig #13

13FiveLitreBottleFitted1.jpg

16. Re-fit bumper reversing (steps 6-1 above)

PATIENCE WARNING: The Bumper can be trick to re-fit. I found it easiest to fit the sides near the wheel arches each side before securing any of the Torx bolts/screws

Edited by Jonny5ive

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just tried pricing bits up to do this mod.

Looks like skoda/seat/vw have realised the mod is being done and just like the PD160 intake pipe have hiked the prices.

6Q0 955 453 S - For Vehicles Without Level Sensor - I am being told this is no longer available and superseeds to 6Q0 955 453 T

6Q0 955 453 T - For Vehicles With Level Sensor - ( Was £16.56 + VAT ) - This is now being quoted at £33.89 incl VAT + a plug and gasket @ £3.20

Just tried pricing bits up to do this mod.

Looks like skoda/seat/vw have realised the mod is being done and just like the PD160 intake pipe have hiked the prices.

6Q0 955 453 S - For Vehicles Without Level Sensor - I am being told this is no longer available and superseeds to 6Q0 955 453 T

6Q0 955 453 T - For Vehicles With Level Sensor - ( Was £16.56 + VAT ) - This is now being quoted at £33.89 incl VAT + a plug and gasket @ £3.20

Well you have been done! I get them for 25quid all in

Well you have been done! I get them for 25quid all in

Both local stealers quoted the same. ( seat and skoda )

Scotland is a long trek to collect the bottle and by the time I add £5 postage there wont be a lot of difference.

Quick question - do you know if the level sensor can be fitted to the standard bottle and, if so how it can be turned on, so to speak.

• 1 year later...

Many thanks for such a comprehensive guide which has convinced me to let a mechanic fit it. What sort of mad men or women create such over complicated monsters? I suppose old age is a curse when one can remember being able to just lift a car bonnet, whip the old washer bottle out and drop anothrt one in.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Many years down the line…. I read the thread with interest. As a driving instructor, I have a Fabia 2 but think they use same parts. After reading all the removal/sealing/gluing/bodging process and time consumed/money spent, i thought "Why effin' bother? Surely just open the bonnet and fill the bottle more frequently - after all, you SHOULD be checking oil, coolant, brake fluid etc any hoo-ha! :wall:

• 1 year later...

Great write up Baz :)

Looking into fitting a larger bottle for using water injection on my car so this is a great help thanks.

Many years down the line…. I read the thread with interest. As a driving instructor, I have a Fabia 2 but think they use same parts. After reading all the removal/sealing/gluing/bodging process and time consumed/money spent, i thought "Why effin' bother? Surely just open the bonnet and fill the bottle more frequently - after all, you SHOULD be checking oil, coolant, brake fluid etc any hoo-ha! :wall:

Always one,and typical it would be a knobby know all driving instructor :D