Skip to content

JayLibove

FREEDOM
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  1. John, everything in that (AI generated?) advice seems to focus on newer cars and the need to work with/around newer cars' enhanced security systems. My vehicle was manufactured in April 2020, based on the 2017-2020 Octavia III Facelift platform, so nothing about these newest generation, more secure car computers applies. My question remains whether OBDeleven's custom-hardware-restricting-to-custom software (at a slightly reduced price compared to one of the major device-independent software author's suggestion of MX+ as gold-standard compatible hardware) has a driving advantage, or whether compatible (vs. OBDeleven's custom) hardware is a better choice (especially if someone has a specific product recommendation as being as capable, reliable, and at least nearly as fast as, while being less expensive than, the MX+)? thank you,
  2. I'm not sure how any of that information responds to the question of which piece of hardware to buy - MX+, vs. OBDeleven gen3, vs. something else? thank you,
  3. Since my car is the 2017-2020 design era, fortunately for my current interests I don't have to worry about the most recent models' enhanced security that breaks much of the capability of OBD-II consumer-grade stuff. The VCDS price is at least $199 (for USB-wired, apparently to-Windows-only?) or over $400 (for wireless, which really shouldn't be so much more expensive) more than OBDeleven's v3 device (€85). Does the VCDS software provide capability so much greater than the OBDeleven mobile/Android app to justify this cost difference? .. particularly considering that my specific use case is to record and graph live data over the course of maybe as much as a few tens of minutes? Or, because as I understand it, OBDeleven stuff is all custom (you have to use their software with their devices), is the functionality of e.g. an OBDLink MX+ (€139) at least as good as OBDeleven's (and, it has the flexibility to work with other software), so would that be a better/more-than-adequate intermediate between OBDeleven and VCDS? (I chose the OBDLink MX+ in my question above on the strength of the Carscanner app author's recommendations of that being the best option he's aware of). thanks,
  4. Reviving an older topic; I own an older generation OBDeleven device, which does not have useful Live Data recording/graphing. I asked OBDeleven about that, and they said, yes, my older device can't do that; I'd need to buy one of their newer devices. But, do you all recommend that I just go with a newer OBDeleven device? (I've always found OBDeleven's Android app and data exchange with my 2020 April-manufactured 2019 model year Octavia III Facelift to be frustratingly slow). Or, go for something other than OBDeleven at all? Is VCDS still the best thing? I saw some discussion of a VLinker brand, but their products are confusing - they don't explain how to choose among them. thanks for your suggestions, -Jay
  5. Hm. Well. Okay. I just finished an 1800km drive through the continental European summer heat, and while I hope that what I felt was just the flu (yeah, somehow I caught the flu in the summer, ugh!) I am not 100% certain that the air conditioning was always working up to snuff. So, since my older generations OBDeleven device can't capture and graph live data, and before I shell out €85 for a current generation OBDelevent device, are there any other diagnostic port readers that you Briskodans would recommend over the OBDeleven gen3 device (without going up to a €1000+ professional kit)? many thanks,
  6. Picking up on this prior thread - My April 2020 (last of the MkIII Facelift) Scout, with full LED package, has cornering lights on by default. I sometimes would like the cornering lights to come on earlier in a turn; as configured from the factory, the cornering lights don't seem to turn on unless the steering wheel is rotated quite far from centre. In the screenshots above, I notice fields: Lenkradwinkel, offset (Steering wheel angle, offset): 0.3° Unterer Lenkradwinkel (Lower steering wheel angle) 40° Oberer Lenkradwinkel (Upper steering wheel angle) 65° Do these control when corner lights turn on and off? Are they configurable? Any warnings about setting them too low/high? thank you,
  7. This is quite a bit longer than my Octavia's key fob, but more importantly I really want the case to be rigid. It's remarkable that VW doesn't provide a slide cover for the fobs. (Neither has any other manufacturer whose fobs I've ever seen).
  8. This is where I ended up looking, too; of course, I can't find on Amazon a plastic box that is almost exactly the size of the key fob, and as much as my purse is something of a bottomless pit, it doesn't have huge amounts of extra room. I'll keep looking.
  9. On a number of occasions lately (though, interestingly, not during the first five or so years that I've had this car - an April 2020-manufactured last of the MkIII Facelift, Scout 4x4 DST-7 diesel "combi"/wagon/estate) I realize that a button on the 'Kessy' key fob in my purse had been pressed without my meaning to. My purse is, like all such accoutrements, something of Felix's TARDIS (to meta my mixaphors). But in truth I thought that the exact spot (lower, front/outer pocket, of a medium size crossbody bag made of 'ballistic nylon' (the sales guy introduced the material to me by taking out a ballpoint pen and stabbing at the bag, hard, leaving no visible mark; so, not canvas; it has a certain amount of rigidity)) where I keep the key fob in the purse (and, the fob is in a closely shaped zip-lok bag, to boot) should have protected buttons from being pressed easily. Sitting in a (very good) cafe-bakery-pastisserie in lower France yesterday morning, having breakfast during yet another of my cross-continent drives, I glanced out the window and noticed my lift gate was half-up šŸ™„. I hadn't opened the lift gate on parking there, and I confirmed that the car was still locked. So it has to have been that, through the fabric of my purse, I had pressed-and-held the lift gate button on the key fob for several seconds. I searched the Internet in general, Amazon (of course), and our forums here (it would be great if these forums could deploy more advanced language/context-sensitive search tools šŸ˜…), and all i came up with were fabric cases or plastic shells, all of which inset the buttons some, but none of which actually provided a slide cover to fully protect the buttons. (I did find on Maker site with instructions for creating such a thing, but I'm not a Maker...) I'm looking for something that would function similar to this: Does such a thing exist commercially for the 2017-2019 Octavia III Facelift key fob? It's this model - the round silver button to allow the physical key to swing out, and the three flat buttons lock - lift gate - unlock. It would be okay if the slide/hard case does NOT support opening the physical key withOUT removing the fob from the case, as I almost never use the physical key. thanks!
  10. On my April 2020-manufactured last-of-the MkIII Facelift (2017-2019) Octavia Scout (combi/wagon/estate, diesel, 4x4, DSG-7, 135kW/184cv, suspension about 3cm higher than the standard combi/wagon/estate model), the rear lift gate will always open, no matter the door lock status, if I have a key fob near the rear lift gate and I press the exterior rear lift gate button. Is there a way to set it so that the rear lift gate will only open if the driver's door (or, any front door) is already unlocked? I found some discussion of the Car Opening & Closing settings, and I tried setting it to One Door Only, but it made no difference. thanks,
  11. Thanks very much, @dieselV6 . It turns out that the OBDeleven device that I own is first generation, and while it can show instant snapshots of live data fields, it has no way to record or graph them, so it's near impossible to get useful data from it :-( That said, I managed to get a screenshot: Refrigerant pressure: 16.0 bar (ambient temperature mid-30s °C) Temperature after evaporator 7.3°C Compressor load 16.1Nm Compressor active, no shut-off condition is present Compressor current, actual value 0.360A In the past couple of days I've driven over 1000km in 30°C+ (peak, 43°C outside temperature, idling in stop-and-go traffic up a mountain), and at no time did I get a sense that the A/C wasn't working. It would still be nice to actually know, but I'm not in the market for another €100 or so of diagnostic hardware. Yet. Thanks again! -Jay
  12. So, which of the very many live data parameters (or, is it not in live data) gave information about AC system pressure? thanks,
  13. Thanks @Breezy_Pete , yeah, guessed that; now, is there any way to get out of the system when that happened? We know that the system had been low (I had it recharged, and the amount of gas extracted was almost 50% low; I took these recordings after the recharge); my OBD11 never reported any faults in this system šŸ™„
  14. So, I re-scanned today, and I've gotten a couple more of these - both left and right low-beam lights, on July 28 (I was driving up from Barcelona through a wide open, sunny valley, to the mountains; I don't recall exactly, but I assume the outside air temperature was in the low 30s°C). Should I be worried about a LED headlight over-temperature warning? thanks,

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.