Everything posted by Marcinek
- Constant creaking / rattling from the doors of my Kodiaq Mk2
-
Constant creaking / rattling from the doors of my Kodiaq Mk2
Hi everyone, I was tagged into this thread, so I’d like to share an update regarding some issues with my car. First of all, in my case, there were two different types of rattling sounds coming from the front left door. The first one, as I mentioned in my previous post, was fixed by adjusting the door striker slightly outward (which made the door fit a bit looser against the car body). Unfortunately, after a few days, a second type of strange noise appeared and started to drive me crazy. It’s a completely different sound. Interestingly, when I cleaned the door recess, the noise temporarily disappeared. The same thing happened after a car wash – as long as the flocked seals were wet, it was quiet. Once they dried, the sound came back. I tried applying a silicone-based lubricant, but only to the rubber seals, as silicone shouldn't be used on flocked ones – which, obviously, didn't solve the problem either. After days of troubleshooting, I finally found the root cause. Please take a look at the attached photos. I placed a strip of stretch film inside the driver's door recess, and the noise completely stopped. I’ve been driving like this for three weeks now, and it’s been perfectly quiet. My theory is that the flocked seal rubs against the car body when the chassis flexes, creating that annoying sound. In my opinion, the first fix actually caused this second problem. Because the door is no longer pressed tightly against the recess, the flocked seals have room to move. When the chassis flexes, they rub against the car body and produce that sound. If they were compressed tighter, they wouldn't shift and make noise. I’m dropping my Kodiaq off at the dealership on Monday for a few days. I’ve already spoken with the mechanic, and they are going to try adjusting the door striker further inward to see if that solves the issue without bringing back the original noise. They also mentioned that they could replace the seals if necessary, so we’ll see. One final note: I did some research and found a water-based lubricant from BMW (see attached photo) that should be safe for flocked seals. However, that’s my plan B. I want the service team to try adjusting the striker or finding a permanent mechanical solution first.
-
Constant creaking / rattling from the doors of my Kodiaq Mk2
I have great news. My Kodiaq has never been so quiet :). Skoda has solved the problem. I'll describe the whole situation along with recordings, and hope it'll help you get rid of that rattling sound. Let's start from scratch. I had a rattling sound on the driver's side of my Kodiaq. I noticed that if I push the driver's door a bit with my elbow while driving, the rattling stops. Another way I could eliminate the sound was by placing a cloth in the bottom of the door jamb before closing it. If your noise sounds like the one in my recordings, then you probably have the same problem as I did. I tried applying a rubber care product on the seals with no effect (but thank you to BudgieUK for sharing that solution). Before dropping the car off at Skoda, I recorded some audio and video so you can hear the sound and see what I did to make it disappear. Please check out the audio and video files from the OneDrive folder. The rattling sound happens only when I close the driver's door. When it's open, there's no noise. Kodiaq-Rattling-Sound Yesterday I got my Kodiaq back and everything is okay now. The problem was the driver's door striker plate. See the photo below. They simply adjusted it, and the rattling sound is completely gone. Give this a try if you are struggling with the same issue as I did. Hope this helps. Thanks to all of you who tried to help me out.
- Constant creaking / rattling from the doors of my Kodiaq Mk2
- Constant creaking / rattling from the doors of my Kodiaq Mk2
-
Constant creaking / rattling from the doors of my Kodiaq Mk2
Thank you for replying to my post. I don't think it's the door card. If I push the door at the top, center or bottom while driving, I have the same effect. No sounds. Another way I can eliminate the rattling sound is by placing a cloth in the bottom door jamb before closing it. I think this creates a bit more distance between the door and the door opening. Please see the attached photo.
- Constant creaking / rattling from the doors of my Kodiaq Mk2