advice re de cat on standard turbo

after yrs of driving hi performance petrols fancied a bit of fun so bought a 06 vrs standard apart from 180 re map..will be goin the full hog with all the mods but will do most myself b4 goin to jabba probably for a st2 upgrade,,,was goin to get a blue flame exhaust with de cat but was reading that on standard turbo will cause problems..can someone advise if i fit this but dont drive it hard till get the st2 ugrade will everything be ok,is the only downside of a de cat the mot problem? any advice appreciated thx.

There is some thought that a decat can lead to overboost but it's not something that seems to trouble many people. If your getting a map done, decat first then get the map done custom to work with the new system.

You won't fail an MOT without your cat, there is no emissions check only a smoke check.

its standard apart from already been mapped to 180..but as i said was gona go the full hog and do what i can myself including a full blueflame with de cat but sen skudmissile say it will wreck the standard turbo...but i wont drive it hard till i go to jabba for st2 upgrade, in the meantime will it be ok? so what are the pro's and cons of fitting a de cat or a cat down pipe...thx for reply.:thumbup:

I don't see a huge issue TBH, I ran a decat pipe on a map that wasn't set up for it for about 15k without an issue but to get the most out of it you need it mapped properly

and on a standard turbo you wont be getting 180bhp realistically, it will be more around the 160 to 170bhp mark (Although it's the torque that really matters where you should be getting about 290-300lb/ft)

A decat will let you turbo spin up a little faster, it doesn't really give you any noticable power gains but it does make it more responsive. It also sounds good ;)

ok thx for that...so basically.. what are the pro's and cons of fitting a de cat or a cat down pipe?

Decat = quicker turbo spool, noisier, pass an MOT as there's no emmisions test on a diesel, can overspeed/overboost the standard turbo if driven on WOT all the time. In theory, it'll be less smokey as more air will get through the engine/turbo quicker and with less resistance/heat.

Start with a boost gauge and see what peak and held boost numbers it's currently producing. I think I'd plan to put the exhaust/decat a couple of weeks before the turbo and remap.

J.

Putting a decat on makes it more smokey.

I still stand by my comments that putting a de-cat on a standard KKK which has been mapped will cause issues.

At the end of the day its up to you weather you want to ruin a nice engine. bits of turbo impeller dont like valves, intercoolers, pistons and any other engine parts they encounter on their travels.

At then end of the day search is your freind this has been covered to death.

_______

John