Guide: Apple iPhone native iOS notifications on BRISKODA - iOS 16.4 and above

Dean

• Administrators

The longest awaited iPhone feature is here, native iOS notifications, and we couldn't wait to ensure it is enabled for BRISKODA!

Briskoda.net is iPhone push notification ready (now). This means you'll finally get notifications on your phone, even when you do not have your browser open, to alert you of new content on followed items and more. A feature Android owners have enjoyed for a while...

Guide Below (SAFARI ONLY)

(Click Images to enlarge them)

With notifications, you can have an authentic native app experience when members add our community to their phone's homepage. When you add our community to your home screen with the share button. Once it has been added, it looks and feels like a native app downloaded from the App Store.

Open Safari and press the middle share icon at the bottom of the browser. And, click add to home screen.

IMG_4345.thumb.jpeg.3850a258cdfcbaeff31c7490f502e6ec.jpeg

IMG_4346.thumb.jpeg.46c4163c5baa703e560b8784e6e5d890.jpeg

IMG_4347.thumb.jpeg.8a1354a71e1539203be4ea56aa0c8c6f.jpeg

IMG_4348.thumb.jpeg.1d40126b005584126b23a8e37d88938b.jpeg

With Apple finally allowing native notifications and Briskoda.net mobile-ready UI, you can have a real app experience without needing a mobile app.

Enabling Notifications

Once this is added, if you wish to get push notifications, you will need to switch them on. Click on the item that has just been created to open your community (ensure you do it from the new application icon). Once there, go to the following location

Menu->Bell Icon->Notification Settings

At the bottom of the page, click to enable browser notifications under the "Push" section

IMG_4350.thumb.jpg.b7109f427a670ed7888d527ea5902b07.jpg

Make sure that you enabled your push notifications PER DEVICE!.

Click ALLOW!

IMG_4351.thumb.jpeg.d8cd6cafcb76f8249c3ef186e3cf0462.jpeg

Then go through what you'd like to be pushed to the phone.

The one you want to set to PUSH will come up as notifications.

IMG_4353.thumb.jpeg.fbdc2cddbd6421bd6b82cffb91fb4de3.jpeg

iOS Settings

Be sure to check your Notification Settings, you'll have a new app called 'BRISKODA'.

And, that's it.

To recap:

To enable push notifications on iOS:

• Ensure you are using iOS 16.4 or newer
  • Save the site to your iPhone's home screen via the share icon
  • Enable push notifications via the option at the bottom of the notifications options page
  • Ensure you have set some notifications to "+ Push"
  • Make sure you haven't disabled notifications via iOS Settings globally or for the app icon if you scroll down the settings list in iOS.

Edited by Dean
  • Thanks 3

• Administrators
7 hours ago, @Lee said:

I'm on Android. How long has there been a Briskoda app 😳😂

No app, it just uses Apples WebKit. I don’t use android, so I have no idea how it works.

And, I only enabled this last night.

• Like 1

<off-topic, slightly> A by-product of turning this on seems to be that Safari on macOS now displays the Briskoda logo when you have it as a favourite - Safari on iOS / iPadOS has always done it (albeit with a white background, not a black one), which suggests something I've long suspected - Safari on macOS looks for a different favicon than on iOS / iPadOS or at least does something odd / different when looking.

macOS: image.png.34dade030ee485aa548a01fcc5e69a49.png     iOS / iPadOS: image.png.1b97a43f2ba5e2c3c17b8a6d7ad0a887.png

Anyway, if for no other reason that it fixed the favicon on macOS, thanks @Dean!

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Yeah, that’s me. I need to upload a new masked logo for safari. I’ll get it sorted out today. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2024 at 22:07, Yogi-Bear said:

If you’re in the EU, then unfortunately this functionality will no longer be available from iOS 17.4…

https://www.macrumors.com/2024/02/15/ios-17-4-web-apps-removed-apple/

****Edit****

sorry misread it and thought you’d said Europe not EU hence why mine is still working. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Edited by WaveyDavey

21 minutes ago, WaveyDavey said:

sorry misread it and thought you’d said Europe not EU hence why mine is still working. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Heh. Never mind… not an issue anyway, as Apple backtracked without being forced to for once!

https://www.macrumors.com/2024/03/01/apple-walks-back-decision-to-disable-eu-web-apps/

• Thanks 1