EGR pipe removal

I'm in the process of cleaning the throttlebody on my 1.4 16v AUB and the bouncing rev problem has arisen.

I've cleaned the tip of the EGR pipe that sticks into the chamber below the butterfly valve (it was quite dirty) but the rev bounce is still there. The engine management light is on as is the ASR light. The loom connection to the throttlebody has never been removed.

I think I need to remove the EGR pipe completely and give it a good clean. How does it detach from the throttlebody end? The EGR end is easy enough although it will need new gaskets. Anyone got the part numbers for the gaskets?

The rev bounce only happens after the engine is warm which is really frustrating as I keep thinking it's fixed. I've had a look on previous posts but I can't seem to find a detailed explanation of how to remove to pipe.

Cheers

Euan

I never bother removing the pipe completely. Remove the throttle body and disconnect the pipe at the EGR valve and rod it through with a piece of wire (insulated electrical cable is good) as far as you can from the throttle body end, then blow it through with compressed air, I appreciate that having a good supply of compressed air is difficult if not working in a garage environment, though you may be able to improvise with a pump.

The EGR valve gaskets are metal and it isn't really a problem to re-use them.

Thanks Fordfan.

I have a spring drain cleaning thing that will fit the bill nicely. Thanks for the tip on the metal gasket.

I thought it might not be possible to undo the throttle body end. My wifes 1.2 looks so much easier!

Cheers,

Euan

So after all that I get three miles down the road this morning and the car goes into limp mode. I manage to reverse off the dual carriageway on idle :eek: before the big truck knocks me into next week and call the RAC.

One hour later the RAC laptop tells me that there are loads of faults which have been logged for the last 18k kilometers. I had the car serviced around 12k kilometers ago...:mad:

After clearing most of the faults the culprit seems to be the exhaust manifold lambda sensor. Off to phone the stealers...

Cheers

Hi SoundMixer, I was planning to do an EGR cleaning in my 1.4 16v but I am not sure if it is worth the effort as petrol EGRs get less dirtier than diesel ones. It was yours very dirty?

Thank you in advance for your answer ;-D

Cheers.

Ptoledo,

Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you.

The EGR pipe was a bit crusty but I suppose it wasn't really that bad.

My worries continued after I got the Lambda sensor ordered. I sat and waited for two hours at the stealers only to be told that I had a hole in the flexi section of the exhaust and that was also confusing the sensors before and after that section, hence the bouncing revs and the managemnet light.

The end result was £350 (!!!!) for the pipe, £110 for the sensor and thankfully only two hours labour. Now it goes!

Except that sometimes the revs at idle hang around 2k, so I'm now doing a search for a fix for that. Might just phone the stealers and get them to do it.

Cheers,

Euan

Thank you very much for your answer, I had simmilar problem as yours with the exhaust pipe but it was a lot cheaper for me!

Maybe your coolant sensor is faulty, this can be cause of the high revs at idle and it is a very common fault but luckily not a very expensive one to fix.

Cheers!

PToledo,

The coolant sensor was done last year. The problem didn't appear today although I've only done about 6 miles! I have a run to Inverness on Thursday so that should see if it appears again. Fingers crossed.

Ultra_Joel88

The egr pipe on the 16v comes in through the bottom of the throttlebody and can't be blanked off.

Or does someone know better/