ICE newbie

Hi peeps,

Can anyone give me any advice please about the initial ICE wiring.

I just want to know what wires I need to run into the boot space to start of with.

I'm not going to fit the ICE for a few months cause I've not decided what yet and this will be my first ICE project, but I'm thinking about an amp and a sub woofer.

But at the moment I've got the boot area stripped of all the trim to fit the towbar electrics and clear out the dog smell from the previous owner ! so I thought I'd get my ICE wiring in now and worry about the equipment later.

I've figured that I'm going to have to run a power line from the battery for the tow bar electrics so I'm thinking about running something suitable for the amp as well, but I've got no idea what size and whether I'll need to run anything else or will I be able to tap into the current speaker cables for the speaker / woofer signal?

Any pointers would be really appreciated - there's just sooo much info on here but I can't figure out this one.

Many Thanks

Kriss

Fabia Elegance 1.9TDi 05/55 hatch.

not my best subject but the thickness of the wire will depend on the amp, the heavier the amp, the bigger you neede the cable to be.

If you have a look at ICE websites, you will see they sometimes sell kits (amp+sub+cabling). If you compare a few sites, you will see similarities starting to appear.

Alternatively, use the search function and keep an eye on this section as there are loads of folks icing their Fabs

Hi mate,

It is advisable to err on the side of larger is better when choosing power/earth cables, and for a long cable run it makes sense to run one length of 4-awg (about as thick as your pinky finger) through the car as this size will cope with amplifier power of up to 800WRMS in total or therabouts - allowing for any future upgrades and so on. You could run 8-awg but the cost difference is minimal and both will take equally as long to run though the 4-awg will offer four times the current flow capabilities.

To be thorough you'll also need RCA cables for signal from the source to the amplifier/s, a trigger wire to the source to turn your amplifier on/off, and if you plan on tapping into the factory speaker wires behind the dash a set of speaker wires to run from there to your amplifiers as well.

Do it once, do it right, and be done with it.