Rattling / under Car / Photo included > what is it?

Hi, I am out on the road, on a trip around sweden. Occassionally over the last few weeks there has been an annoying clanking metallic sound from under the car. Unfortunately when I take the car to the Skoda (or VW) garage the noise stops.

Car is a Fabia 2001 model, 1.4, 101bhp

There are no warning lamps lit up, and it is not the steering as the noise does not occur when turning the steering wheel. It kind of sounds like the dragging of an exhaust pipe along the road, which it definately is not, as there is nothing 'hanging' down from the car.

I had a tap around with a thin tree branch under the car and a similar sound occurs from this (with the perforated part):

skoda1dh6.jpg

Does anyone think this could be the cuplrit, or what the problem may be? We take the car on country roads quite a lot, and I am thinking there could be a stone trapped there maybe rattling around?

It is not happening today (typical) but I guess it will come back soon....

Having real problems seeing the pic - can you just attach it rather than linking to it? I have a suspicion but need to see what you think it is to confirm it...

here is the photo as an attachement.

will have a look at the welding also...

23671.attach

Hi,

I have a similar problem, an intermittent metallic rattle. Ive located the problem on mine as the exhaust shield. Its a tin covering above the exhaust thats held on to some studs on the car, however the captured nuts or crimps have rusted through so it can flap about.

I dont know if this could also be the trouble on yours but its worth checking as your cars certainly old enough for things to have rusted a bit.

I still havent sorted mine out.

/\ This was what I was thinking before I saw your pic - it sits above the back box. Mine came loose down one side, and I found that the curtain hooks shaped a bit like '@' did a good temporary job but fell off eventually. I now have fat washers held on with cable ties! :thumbup:

Edited by ap0gee
clarifying comments

ok, thanks for the replies. swift as usual :) I'm gonna be driving it a bit later and see how it goes. Hitting it with a hammer?! hmm... ok, I'll see if this is the culprit and see if I can get it secured/fixed.

I'm only assuming this piece of metal in the photo is the culprit as it seemed to make the same noise when I slapped it with a thin branch... oooh er ;) but if I find it is something else, I'll let you know.