im stuck ! clutch, intercooler remap ????

i want so much but my wallet doesnt want to spend it !

i have a vrs with 160 intake, panel filter, eibach springs and shocks and 312s on the way this weekend ! and i am wanting a remap however would like to change the exhaust for a milltek before hand is there any point in looking at a intercooler if i am keeping my standard turbo ?? and also i think my clutch isnt the greatest what clutch will i go for ? any help i will be greatfull for thanks. :thumbup:

OK, well depending how the car's been driven, the clutch may need attention at 50k. It's impossible to say really. You could remap, and then budget for changing that a little way down the line, depending on how the car fares in a remapped state. A tuner would obviously be able to tell you if there were any clutch-related issues, post remap.

Jabba are certainly a recommended tuner, but then so are Star. I use Jabba personally, but it's a far way from you! Totally upto you, of course, but I'd say you wouldn't be disappointed with either.

Steve

hmm cool thanks a lot theres certainly something to think about mibay its worth taking a run up and ask as u say it isnt that far from me however jabba is. il get the exhaust and then go ask the questions il keep the clutch the way it is and leave the intercooler as i thought this was a little silly for just a map. thanks a lot.

You'll increase turbo lag with an FMIC anyway. Only really suitable with an uprated turbo. As Joel says, definitely do the arch vent mod. Well worth it and plenty of info/guides about it on here/

Is there a particular reason you want an exhaust? My logic would say put that money to the possibility of a new clutch?

Steve

SMIC needs venting for sure - it heat soaks without a remap already, and if you do remap it, you just make that bit worse. If you keep the SMIC, venting it is dead-easy, and varying from free apart from time by just drilling holes, to the most expensive option from a TT arch being modded. Either way, there are options there and you can do it yourself so even the most expensive version is probably within your budget.

An exhaust isnt worth it imho unless you are going to do loads of other work, the standard exhaust is high quality, ok so it may not flow as much as a straight pipe, but it will last well and it is just another thing to declare to the insurance company that may increase your monthly costs.

If you keep your standard turbo, a FMIC will add a bit of lag, but I didnt find it too bad to be honest.

Clutch then - I got a Sachs Organic clutch, with uprated pressure plate and the release kit thing. Works well, feels OEM but strong enough to cope with a harsh remap, and can take a lot more than you will be able to get with the stock turbo without any trouble.

If you do have to replace the clutch because it is worn, I'd go for that option personally. My Sachs clutch has done 60k+, with various stages of tune, and is still as strong as ever :)

aha well to be honest i just liked it and thought it would increase the flow as the standard back box is rather large. where did u get ur clutch from and what kinda price am i talking?

so what i need to do is the arch mod a clutch and a remap and forget the exhaust and fmic ?