Bearing noise? Driveshaft?

reesky

Evening all,

About three weeks ago I noticed a grating noise when turning to the right. "NSF wheel bearing", I thought, purchased a new one and got my local garage to fit it. That fixed the problem.

A few days ago I've noticed a grating / grinding noise when turning to the left. "OSF wheel bearing", I thought, purchased a new one and got my local garage to fit it. This grating noise has not gone. If I steer to the left at about fourty miles an hour I hear a droning sound and feel slight vibration through the steering wheel. The droning noise seems to come and go when driving in a straight line. If I steer hard to the left I get a metalic scraping sound!

Any ideas what on earth this may be? Steering to the left at low speed I can hear a clicking and feel vibration.

I've swapped the OSF and OSR tyres around tonight but that's not solved the problem.

Any ideas? Driveshaft? CV joint?!

Incidentally the garage said they couldn't hear anything second time around but it turns out they didn't average more than 13mph when they drove it...

Help!

:)

I've been suffering from similar, inexplicable drive shaft noises.

1. When I first got the car there was a constant drone.rubbing sound from the front. Back to S/H dealer I bought it from, said it was a drive shaft (or prop, can't remember what he said) bearing (?), he greased it. Gradually came back over the next few weeks.

2. After driving through a torrential thunderstorm for 3 hours in France this summer, the drone/rub has not been replaced by a knocking/cracking noise. This is especially bad after damp weather but goes away after a few miles driving (but not completely). A visual inspection shows nothing but a bit of corrosion on the driveshaft and down to the rubber boot on the outer CV joint.

The above noise changes pitch/volume as you turn at speed, when you reverse, but the biggest change is when you unweight the car at speed over a crest.... strange.