Rapid of Fabia??

Jaymz

Hello skoda Fans!!!!! i come in need of advice:D

i have 2 options infront of me ......1 buy a skoda rapid with no rust an 30 000 on clock or save an extra bit of cash an get fabia?

it be used every day as i have to drive to work? anyone had any problems with the rapids if any?

doubt be for sale for long so as much help to sway my judgement:P

:) I've driven Rapids every day since July 1990 and haven't regretted it yet. The Fabia is obviously the better car in logical terms, but with far last character.

It's all comes down to what you want from a car.

I think it depends what car you are used to. I commuted for years in Estelles and Rapids, but as daily drivers they have some foibles which can be endearing or irritating depending on your expectations.

I have Estelles and a Fabia now, and drove a Rapid 136 for 10 years. I will try and 'sum up' for you.

Rapid:

For:

Fun handling, sporty exhaust note, good gear ratios, reliable if you service regularly and nip problems in the bud, wonderful steering, gets admiring glances, cheap to run and fix.

Against:

Gets buffeted on the motorways by wind, quite noisy, needs regular 'fettling' of points/timing/kingpin greasing etc, head gaskets can blow, not very powerful - enough though, heater very slow to clear the windows in the winter.

Fabia:

For:

Easy to drive, sits at high speed without instability, quiet, modern feel to all actions like doors and controls, you will be first away at the lights (vRS model).

Against:

Wears tyres quicker than Estelle, front engine makes for less precise steering, bit bland (vRS better though), expensive to service and tricky to fault-find.

So, what kind of car do you like to drive?

TH

i want to have fun whilst driving......i want a vrs at some piont but not now i want a car that i can have fun in(i mean driving for those with dirty minds;)).....id be drivin to work everyday and driving around. i like loud cars:D (and i like minis) lol alot of good pionts an bad it gonna be a tuffy:S would have to convince the mother :S

i want to have fun whilst driving......i want a vrs at some piont but not now i want a car that i can have fun in(i mean driving for those with dirty minds;)).....id be drivin to work everyday and driving around. i like loud cars:D (and i like minis) lol alot of good pionts an bad it gonna be a tuffy:S would have to convince the mother :S

This post tells me you need a Rapid! :thumbup:

Does it overheat? No, if it is working correctly the cooling fan comes on and the temp gauge is always in the green. However the fan thermoswitches were of poor quality and failed - ones available now are loads better. Also the fan can become open circuit - easy to check this though.

I went on holiday in my Rapid the week after I got it. Only when I was stuck in traffic through Salisbury did I find that the fan did nor come on. Up to the red it went - but I got moving again before boiling over occurred. When I got to my desination I found the thermoswitch AND the fan were faulty. So, while the cooling system is good if it is working, it is worth spending time checking that it does fully work every now and then to save any probs.

TH

I fitted a an over-ride switch to mine and if ever in traffic and the needle pointed above dead upright, I'd switch the fan on.Never ever overheated.

Get a Rapid, a Group A Exhaust, angle grind a coil off the front springs and go out and eat some Mini's for breakfast! There was a 1.3i Rover Mini Cooper I regularly used to blast in my old Rapid on my way to work - no matter how hard the bloke tried, he couldn't keep up! For smiles per mile it's a Rapid all the way.:DFor comfort and modernity, it's Fabia.

Edited by skorob2007

that be pretty high on insurance an take up space

does the rapid over heat if stuck in traffic?

Space I'll give you. I think you might be able to get the Rapid onto a "classic policy" if it was a weekend car, at which point you could be looking at under £200 fully comp agreed value with a 5000 miles/year cap.

Space I'll give you. I think you might be able to get the Rapid onto a "classic policy" if it was a weekend car, at which point you could be looking at under £200 fully comp agreed value with a 5000 miles/year cap.

notwithstanding you have to be at least 23, if not 25, to take out a classic policy - and if you meet that criterion, you must also find a company that accepts a rapid as a classic...

its cheaper for me (when i was 22) to insure my 89 estelle as a daily commuter than a weekend car.

IMO a fabia is the better car if you prefer air-con, armchairs and electric windows. if you actually liek to drive, however... there is just one answer. and it's coupe shaped with right-wheel-drive.

IMO a fabia is the better car if you prefer air-con, armchairs and electric windows. if you actually like to drive, however... there is just one answer. and it's coupe shaped with right-wheel-drive.

shouldn't the left wheel do some driving too?

notwithstanding you have to be at least 23, if not 25, to take out a classic policy - and if you meet that criterion, you must also find a company that accepts a rapid as a classic...

I looked at the price guide in "Classic Cars" last night, and it quotes the S110R and Rapid, but not the S100 series or Estelle saloons.

I looked at the price guide in "Classic Cars" last night, and it quotes the S110R and Rapid, but not the S100 saloon series or Estelle saloons.

Edited by KenONeill

I looked at the price guide in "Classic Cars" last night, and it quotes the S110R and Rapid, but not the S100 saloon series or Estelle saloons.

yeah the rapid is seen as a classic by more companies than accept the estelle, but still quite few.

even my mum couldn't get classic on a rapid in 2005 or 2006...

Hello skoda Fans!!!!! i come in need of advice:D

i have 2 options infront of me ......1 buy a skoda rapid with no rust an 30 000 on clock or save an extra bit of cash an get fabia?

it be used every day as i have to drive to work? anyone had any problems with the rapids if any?

doubt be for sale for long so as much help to sway my judgement:P

Hi

If it's my Rapid on ebay then I got to say 'Buy the Rapid!:)' Good luck with whatever you choose.

sorry aint posted on this thread kinda put it up an forgot bout it. well the guy with the skoda rapid still not sold it

heres some pics e08a_1.JPG

05cc_1.JPG

1726_1.JPG

7360_1.JPG

94fe_1.JPG

616b_1.JPG

im afriad now though the questions been changed its rapid or CORSA!!!! iv been offered this in jan/feb time

n521735310_4572501_4036.jpg

what you think now?

:)No offence to Corsa owners, but [in my opinion] a Corsa is no where near as much fun as a Rapid. The Corsa is definately more practical, but if you want to enjoy the drive and experience real character and charm the Rapid wins hands down.

:P Yes, I am biassed! :D